Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

1. UL Football Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

BATON ROUGE — Lucas Lipali's shirt echoed the sentiments of many people around Tiger Stadium on Saturday afternoon — a shortsleeve button-up that was half purple and gold, half vermilion and white.

"I love LSU, and I love UL," said Lipali, a New Iberia native.

But who would the former Cajun cheerleader and 1998 UL graduate be pulling for to win the game?

"I would love to see UL win, but I want LSU to win and then win the rest of their games," Lipali said. "I like Les Miles and his coaching staff."

The rest of the story

Grant Alexander • Special to The Advertiser • September 20, 2009

Default Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

Freaking former cheerleader pulling for another team over his own.

Met a former UL player decked out in Tiger gear. Met a few UL classmates in LSU garb. Its the price we pay for marching in place the past 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Met a former UL player decked out in Tiger gear. Met a few UL classmates in LSU garb. Its the price we pay for marching in place the past 15 years. _
    And what's their excuse? If its the past 15 years, Doc A is gone. That excuse for giving monetary and moral support elsewhere no longer applies.

Several have LSU spouses or live in BR. Looks like they are just trying to fit in.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

as i've said before, these are the most despicable of fans. the idiot on espn 1420 on sundays, the banit, is one of the worst. then they become condescending by saying something about how they "pull" for the cajuns except when they play lsu. please, that kind of love we don't need.

7. Default Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

The writer (Grant Alexander) (a UL Alum) has in a bio somewhere that LSU is his favorite team. I'm not surprised by the it's OK slant to the article.

Glenn help me here.

Louisiana Campus Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Met a former UL player decked out in Tiger gear. Met a few UL classmates in LSU garb. Its the price we pay for marching in place the past 15 years. _
    I've never understood people who have no affiliation with a school supporting that school. It doesn't matter how much progress a school has winning games, one should support the school in which they attend or graduated. Also, if you're from the Lafayette area and have no connection with L.S.U., support U.L. Otherwise, what do you really get out of pulling for L.S.U.? Pulling only for a winner or where the biggest party is on a Saturday is just shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by OLF82 View Post
    _ I've never understood people who have no affiliation with a school supporting that school. It doesn't matter how much progress a school has winning games, one should support the school in which they attend or graduated. Also, if you're from the Lafayette area and have no connection with L.S.U., support U.L. Otherwise, what do you really get out of pulling for L.S.U.? Pulling only for a winner or where the biggest party is on a Saturday is just shallow. _
    For many, they grew up supporting the same team that their parents and/or other relatives supported. I'm sure they exist, but most football fans don't grow up without at least one team to root for until/unless they go to college. And then you have the people who attend multiple colleges - I know people who've attended 4-5 different ones!

If you went to or are currently attending UL and you didn't pull for the CAJUNS last night or you don't pull for the CAJUNS at all then you are a traitor in my book!! What is the federal penalty for treason? Whatever the max is we should inforce it!!

TAKE PRIDE!!

11. Default Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

What chaps my ass is the headline in the DA this morning---God--what a negative!!!

UL Football Re: Battle of the Bayou splits fans' loyalties

I did some calculations yesterday - when all the purple and puke clad traitor-fans from Lafayette went to Baton Rouge to cheer for state, the average IQ of both towns went up by 3 points. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by ULBaby! View Post
    _ I did some calculations yesterday - when all the purple and puke clad traitor-fans from Lafayette went to Baton Rouge to cheer for state, the average IQ of both towns went up by 3 points. Trust me, I'm a doctor. _
    HAHA. It took me a second to get it, but that's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ The writer (Grant Alexander) (a UL Alum) has in a bio somewhere that LSU is his favorite team. I'm not surprised by the it's OK slant to the article.

Glenn help me here. _
    leaving parrott out of this, for argument's sake, because i believe he has no feelings for a&mbr, most of the local media, electronic and print, pull for the tigs. i would think that jay walker, and the guy from the independent ragmag are the exceptions. even heist at the da, who is a relative newcomer, has this attitude. only bcs team in the state, good recognition for the state, etc. phooey, i say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ And what's their excuse? If its the past 15 years, Doc A is gone. That excuse for giving monetary and moral support elsewhere no longer applies. _
    Why does one have to have an excuse for how they spend their money or in which way they direct their efforts?

I know I'm in the minority on this issue, but the bottom line for me has always been that your personal choice of what/who you support outweighs my personal choice for what/who you support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information