Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

1. Default Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

UL — Since Sun Belt Conference champion Georgia Southern did not win its appeal to be bowl eligible, the SBC will not be represented when the College Football Playoff selection committee announces its selection Sunday morning.

That, it turns out, .

The rest of the story
    Luke Johnson
    THE Advocate

2. Default Re: Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

This exposes the failed logic of gifting patsy schedules to certain brand new Sun Belt members.

In this regard the Karl Benson Belt is no better than the Wright Waters version.

Under Waters, when a new school was added the basketball schedule would reboot and UL was asked/required to play on the home court of league power WKU. Over and over this happened.

Back to football, the result of Karl's SBC welcome matt is almost as bad as year one of the NOLA Bowl.

jmo

3. UL Football Re: Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This exposes the failed logic of gifting patsy schedules to certain brand new Sun Belt members.

In this regard the Karl Benson Belt is no better than the Wright Waters version.

Under Waters, when a new school was added the basketball schedule would reboot and UL was asked/required to play on the home court of league power WKU. Over and over this happened.

Back to football, the result of Karl's SBC welcome matt is almost as bad as year one of the NOLA Bowl.

jmo
    ?

G Southern played and beat the third place finisher, we lost to them, the third place finisher also beat ULM, and fourth place finisher stAte. NMSU and Idaho pretty much a wash. IMO both schools had similar SOS in the belt. Someone had to not play someone with an eight game schedule.

IMO G Southern is not only the rightful champs, they were clearly the best team in the SBC in 2014. UL had lots of weaknesses that was exposed over the season.

Now IMO we, the SBC, could have not allowed the newbies to vie for a championship, but that would not change the on field results.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    ?

G Southern played and beat the third place finisher, we lost to them, the third place finisher also beat ULM, and fourth place finisher stAte. NMSU and Idaho pretty much a wash. IMO both schools had similar SOS in the belt. Someone had to not play someone with an eight game schedule.

IMO G Southern is not only the rightful champs, they were clearly the best team in the SBC in 2014. UL had lots of weaknesses that was exposed over the season.

Now IMO we, the SBC, could have not allowed the newbies to vie for a championship, but that would not change the on field results.
    We just don't know.

My argument is not whether they are any good or not.

My argument is the Sun Belt has a history of propping up newbies. There is a long history of newbies coming in like gang busters.

Not having to face either of the reigning champs continues that trend.

5. UL Football Re: Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

Totally do not understand your position. The results in fact support that Ga Southern actually had a harder schedule than either UL or stAte based on Apple State. Now one game common opponents are not absolute, but I have zero problems with the set up. We got one of the two newbies at home and were strangled. That newbie was pistol whipped by Ga Southern.

6. Default

Totally do not understand your position. The results in fact support that Ga Southern actually had a harder schedule than either UL or stAte based on Apple State. Now one game common opponents are not absolute, but I have zero problems with the set up. We got one of the two newbies at home and were strangled. That newbie was pistol whipped by Ga Southern.
    You are looking at the schedule in hindsight, (full of unforeseen occurrences) I'm looking at it when it was set up.

Default Re: Cajuns' bowl foe to have quick turnaround

?

If you can't make a schedule where everyone plays everyone, then you need to have enough teams for a championship game. If not, you do not have a clear cut champion. Take out the non-conference games because they don't matter in a conference championship. Excluding the game between us, they played Idaho (1-10) and we played Arkansas State (7-5). Those are not equal schedules. They finished 8-0. We finished 7-1. They are the Sunbelt champions. I wouldn't say clear cut.

And for what it's worth, Savannah St-Navy-NC State-Ga Tech don't sniff Southern-La Tech-Boise St-Ole Miss this year. I know you will say we didn't compete in our games, but a W is a W and an L is an L.

How do you figure? In terms of UL, GaSo avoided a 7-5 Arkansas State by playing a God awful 1-11 Idaho. In terms of Arkansas State, GaSo avoided an 8-4 UL by playing a 3-9 Troy. Again, they are 8-0. Champions by rule. Still doesn't mean its a clear cut champion.

You cant judge who is the better team by common opponents, especially when the difference is only one game. The two best teams in the conference this year didn't play each other and there is no way of knowing who would have won. There isnt anything we can do about it now so it is what it is.

I agree with all of the above, but I've been told you can't blame Karl. Karl is only the man at the top and the buck does not stop with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You are looking at the schedule in hindsight, (full of unforeseen occurrences) I'm looking at it when it was set up.
    In foresight (not hindsight), they scheduled Ga. Southern WITHOUT EITHER of the champions from the previous 3 YEARS of the conference.

The Sun Belt wrapped this gift for them with a pretty bow.

They won the games. They're the champion. Congrats. No argument there.

But let's not pretend the Sun Belt didn't have their lips firmly planted on their asses when they made the schedule.

The same ones that made our basketball schedule as difficult as possible.

They see the writing on the wall, I believe. They know who's next out of this dump, and it's not Texas State or Ga. Southern or App St. But I guess that's just wishful thinking.

The other thing about these start up FBSers is the past it was easier for them to get transfers from other universities because they were not FBS competition. Programs are not going to release them to play immediately at GA Southern but will for SE Louisiana or McNeese. It will be very similar what happened to Troy.

This is a ridiculous thread! You say the league pampered the newbies, but each played different schedules! One played us and stAte, beating both, and the other didn't. Regardless, literally everyone said preseason that either would be lucky to win 4-5 games, TOTAL.
    We had our chance and blew it!!! Nuff said!!

I would be ____ed if I was App state, they had to play the Cajuns and stAte, both on the road and somehow southern avoids is both all together.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I would be ____ed if I was App state, they had to play the Cajuns and stAte, both on the road and somehow southern avoids is both all together.
    And app won both. That says a lot about how good app finished this season. At the end of the season, I think they were playing the best football of anyone in the SBC .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information