Thread: Florida hires Jim McElwain as football coach

1. Default Florida hires Jim McElwain as football coach

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley hires Colorado State coach to replace Will Muschamp.

Default Re: Florida hires Jim McElwain as football coach

The buyout clause was put in place to financially offset a coach leaving . why would Colorado State, or anyone, reduce that amount to let a coach leave?

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    The buyout clause was put in place to financially offset a coach leaving . why would Colorado State, or anyone, reduce that amount to let a coach leave?
    One of the two I could think of:

A) wording in the clause/contract was grey and gave them the wiggle room to make the deal happen (to spread out the money). Contracts can be quite perplexing sometimes and if you get a good enough lawyer they have no problem ripping them in half so to speak.

B) CSU and McElwain have a really good realationship and worked together to get this deal done for McElwain and his family.

It wasnt really reduced by much. Plus they get a game out of it, though not at home.

"To settle the dispute over McElwain's $7.5 million buyout, Florida agreed to pay $3 million over six years to Colorado State and also agreed to a future game -- with a $2 million guarantee -- in Gainesville sometime between the 2017 and 2020 seasons, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

In addition, McElwain has agreed to pay $2 million to Colorado State over time, sources told McMurphy."

I haven't read this article, but I, while only casually listening, think I heard that they will pay $5 mil of the $7.5 buyout, and Florida will schedule Colorado State. I dont know if it will be home and home or if it's a single game or what, but they will receive most of the original buyout money and have the opportunity to play Florida.

Again, I wasn't paying full attention, but that's what it sounded like, at least something similar to that.

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I haven't read this article, but I, while only casually listening, think I heard that they will pay $5 mil of the $7.5 buyout, and Florida will schedule Colorado State. I dont know if it will be home and home or if it's a single game or what, but they will receive most of the original buyout money and have the opportunity to play Florida.

Again, I wasn't paying full attention, but that's what it sounded like, at least something similar to that.
    McElwain has to pay 2 mil of the buyout himself so you are correct in that in the end Florida will only pay 5 mil and that has a guaranteed game in it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    It wasnt really reduced by much. Plus they get a game out of it, though not at home.

"To settle the dispute over McElwain's $7.5 million buyout, Florida agreed to pay $3 million over six years to Colorado State and also agreed to a future game -- with a $2 million guarantee -- in Gainesville sometime between the 2017 and 2020 seasons, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

In addition, McElwain has agreed to pay $2 million to Colorado State over time, sources told McMurphy."
    I only saw some tv reports of the buyout agreement . in that I saw the part about UF having a $2mil guarantee between 2017 and 2020 but they didn't report the game part . I assumed that but you know you're not supposed to assume anything.

So in the end, CSU will come out pretty good . maybe even better than Nebraska did with their coaching hire!

I'm sure their boards are lighting up this week!

9. Default Re: Florida hires Jim McElwain as football coach

I only saw some tv reports of the buyout agreement . in that I saw the part about UF having a $2mil guarantee between 2017 and 2020 but they didn't report the game part . I assumed that but you know you're not supposed to assume anything.

So in the end, CSU will come out pretty good . maybe even better than Nebraska did with their coaching hire!

I'm sure their boards are lighting up this week!
    .There is no doubt who the Louisiana and CUSA coach of the year will bewonder if he will get any offers to leave LTUR!!!
    ,!!

Thread Information