Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Hudspeth on Speculation Radar

Default Re: Hud on List of Possible Florida HC's

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    If I was betting money, the writer had no source that Hud was on the list. He remembers that we were a blocked punt away from beating them in Gainsville the last time they were ranked and a little search let him know that we've sustained that success since via good records, recruiting classes, and bowl wins. He did a little connecting of the dots, but like someone else said, I'd be very surprised if he got Florida; the bigger worry will be the opening created by whoever gets Florida.

He does not! Hudspeth's name comes up often because a number of these publishers look at what he has done here at UL and knows he is one of the up and comers of young coaches. Bottom line, he is not on their list at this time.

UL Football Re: Hud on List of Possible Florida HC's

Let's stir this pot some more

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2014/1.lwain-harbaugh

The more I think about it, only one name surfaces for me in terms of both being a candidate who fits Foley's usual parameters and someone who would absolutely come: Louisiana-Lafayette's Mark Hudspeth. He fits the profile as a young (46) guy who nonetheless has more head coaching experience than you might realize. None of it is on the Power 5 level, but he was head coach at North Alabama for seven years and now has run ULL for four. Between those jobs, he got some SEC experience on Mullen's staff at Mississippi State in 2009-10.

His first three teams at Lafayette each went 9-4, the first nine-win seasons there since 1976. The program had only one eight-win season in between. While this year's team had three bad non-conference losses to Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, and Boise State, the Ragin' Cajuns are wins over App State and Troy from finishing the regular season 9-3 with an unblemished conference record. Three consecutive nine-win seasons at ULL is a real accomplishment, but getting a fourth would be just that much more impressive.

Hudspeth is an offensive coach, and his offenses have been among the best in the Sun Belt during his tenure. For instance, his program has had the highest passing efficiency rating in Sun Belt play in all but one year (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), with the only exception being in 2012 when he finished second to Gus Malzahn's Arkansas State. His defenses have largely been improving over his time there as well, and he'd ostensibly have the option to retain Muschamp's excellent defensive staff should they want to stay.

Hudspeth's buyout is manageable (for the likes of UF) at $1.25 million, and he fits Foley's preferred archetype of a young up-and-comer. The only potential problem could be on the character/NCAA front. I have seen a few scattered fans around the web suggest that Hudspeth might have issues there. Other than being on Mullen's staff during the Cam Newton affair—during which no one accused MSU of doing anything wrong, mind you—I don't know what they are referring to. I don't have sources and don't live in the recruiting world. No one is squeaky clean in this regard on the top level anyway, and the character/NCAA caveat applies to all potential hires.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Suck it kliff.
    My coach can bench press your coach about 50 reps.

Default 3 Potential Candidates for the Florida Job

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-ka.usaolp00000592

Cant say they are looking at him hard.

5. Default Re: 3 Potential Candidates for the Florida Job

I never considered Mack Brown, but that might be a good fit, could be a perfect stop gap until they name someone long term.

He could come in, rebuild the program in 2-5 years and retire again and have a coach take over a very solid program, rather then one that Muschamp tore down.

Default Re: 3 Potential Candidates for the Florida Job

How many threads do we need on the same topic?

Turbine, when are you giving me power to merge threads?

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Yep, they all pretty much start out with "another coach that fits the profile", but have no sources. I will stick to the fact that I've seen no credible source that has linked Mark Hudspeth to the Florida coaching search.

The Cajuns win out and Coach Hud's stock will get hotter. Does he want to become a lifer like Frank Beamer of VA Tech continuing to take the program to new heights or head off to a G-5 conference head coaching gig ASAP? Chris Peterson remained at Boise for what, eight years? He had opportunities to leave sooner but waited for the right fit. Money talks but sometimes it's better to be a small giant. Until it's not.

Did you read the comments? Let's stir some more. lol
    "They're not the only ones

I know there are more than a few LSU fans hoping he'll still be available when Les Miles retires. I can't see him staying at ULL that long though. Les has a while more to go."

Team Speed Kills -- SBNation's SEC Blog
    Follow me @Year2
    Second Year -- Me on things other than sports

I don't see that happening. lol.

10. Default Re: Hudspeth on Speculation Radar

Big shoutout to Clutch for handling the heavy lifting in this thread. Right on man.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    And tcu is no longer a mid major
    Similarly.

The year Jake Delhomme took over at QB and for the 20 years prior . UL and Virginia Tech were equals.

12. Default Re: Hudspeth on Speculation Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Similarly.

The year Jake Delhomme took over at QB and for the 20 years prior . UL and Virginia Tech were equals.
    ------I wonder about all these names mentioned for the different jobs---If I were choosing, I wouldn't want anybody to know whom I was after---This explains the secret flights that are traced and other speculation that are done to insure the privacy on both ends---Well so far we know about one coaching change and that is Rebowe to Nicholls!!!

One thing I'm confused about with this article:

"The only potential problem could be on the character/NCAA front. I have seen a few scattered fans around the web suggest that Hudspeth might have issues there. Other than being on Mullen's staff during the Cam Newton affair—during which no one accused MSU of doing anything wrong, mind you—I don't know what they are referring to."

WUT

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    One thing I'm confused about with this article:

"The only potential problem could be on the character/NCAA front. I have seen a few scattered fans around the web suggest that Hudspeth might have issues there. Other than being on Mullen's staff during the Cam Newton affair—during which no one accused MSU of doing anything wrong, mind you—I don't know what they are referring to."

WUT
    What are you confused about?

Default Re: Hudspeth on Speculation Radar

Jeremy Foley has a list, I'm sure. And, I'd be surprised if Hud wasn't somewhere on that list.

However, I'm thinking that this time, Florida does their best to make a splash. And, that means hiring a name coach. Everything I've read says Florida goes after an offensive minded coach, which makes sense since schools have a tendency to move away from the philosophy of the previous coach.

I think Rich Rodriguez is at the top of their list.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information