Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Under Wraps

Default Re: Under Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ I agree with some of this, but to get back to my point, our personnel do not equate to the I formation. So we could line up in the I, but it would more than likely just be a wasted play. You witnessed that several time in goal line situation in the past. We do not create a big enough push up front to run successfully out of the I. We might be able to play action with some success, IMO. _

Well, I would disagree as well to a certain degree. I'm not saying we utilize this as our primary offense. Also, our line is a run blocking line as we've run the ball 70% of the time for 3-4 years now. Our line is big line although not a huge line. If Odom is in the game, we average over 300 pounds per man. From what I saw in the scrimmage last week we ran the ball the best in the goaline situation when we lined up and ran right at the defense. Also, i think the way the average school out there, especially in the SBC, is recruiting for their defenses is to stop the spread. They seem to be going quicker, lighter guys who can ran the width of the field and tackle and cover in space. Heck, we are starting to do this as you are seeing us convert safeties into linebackers to utilize speed. For this reason, I think the line would more than adequately run block in a situation where we went with a power formation of some sort. Also, who says you have to run the ball out of the I ? FAU runs a pro style offense all of the time and they roll Rusty Smith out on playactions and bootlegs and he's not even a real mobile guy. It just gives you a different look and I think since we will throw plenty to two tight ends and run two tight end sets a lot, it seems like a good formation to throw out from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Well, I would disagree as well to a certain degree. I'm not saying we utilize this as our primary offense. Also, our line is a run blocking line as we've run the ball 70% of the time for 3-4 years now. Our line is big line although not a huge line. If Odom is in the game, we average over 300 pounds per man. From what I saw in the scrimmage last week we ran the ball the best in the goaline situation when we lined up and ran right at the defense. Also, i think the way the average school out there, especially in the SBC, is recruiting for their defenses is to stop the spread. They seem to be going quicker, lighter guys who can ran the width of the field and tackle and cover in space. Heck, we are starting to do this as you are seeing us convert safeties into linebackers to utilize speed. For this reason, I think the line would more than adequately run block in a situation where we went with a power formation of some sort. Also, who says you have to run the ball out of the I ? FAU runs a pro style offense all of the time and they roll Rusty Smith out on playactions and bootlegs and he's not even a real mobile guy. It just gives you a different look and I think since we will throw plenty to two tight ends and run two tight end sets a lot, it seems like a good formation to throw out from time to time. _
    While I think we will use 2 TEs a lot, they will be lined up in the slot more times than not. Especially in Greens case because he is not as profficient and Aubry is when it comes to blocking.

Our O-line is around 300 pounds, but they still rely on misdirection and great ball handling skills by the QB in order to seal off blocks allowing us to be se effective in the run. It is the same scheme we have been using since Bustle took over 8 years ago. Until I see this O-line line up and run a man blocking scheme instead of the zone read/spread option then we just have to agree to disagree.

I want to know other peoples opinions on a 3-3-5 defensive scheme and how you think it would work out if it was ever implemented at UL. As far as the offense goes, I feel that UL's best chance at success for now is running the option. you have a few good rb's that are more than capable of making big plays happen. not fenroy by any stretch of the imagination but still very capable. The thing will be trying to make the passing game a factor. We couldn't run out of the I in the past because everyone knew that we weren't an effective enough passing team to be much threat in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ I want to know other peoples opinions on a 3-3-5 defensive scheme and how you think it would work out if it was ever implemented at UL. As far as the offense goes, I feel that UL's best chance at success for now is running the option. you have a few good rb's that are more than capable of making big plays happen. not fenroy by any stretch of the imagination but still very capable. The thing will be trying to make the passing game a factor. We couldn't run out of the I in the past because everyone knew that we weren't an effective enough passing team to be much threat in the air. _
    I like the 3-3-5 defense especially at schools like UL. It much easier for us to recruit athletes than it is big defensive linemen.

_ I want to know other peoples opinions on a 3-3-5 defensive scheme and how you think it would work out if it was ever implemented at UL. As far as the offense goes, I feel that UL's best chance at success for now is running the option. you have a few good rb's that are more than capable of making big plays happen. not fenroy by any stretch of the imagination but still very capable. The thing will be trying to make the passing game a factor. We couldn't run out of the I in the past because everyone knew that we weren't an effective enough passing team to be much threat in the air. _

I don't mind the 335. It is an aggressive style of defense that incorporates a lot of team speed on D and usually allows you to run infinite blitz schemes.

I do not think our best chance of success is running the option. With Desormeaux it was. With the personnel we have now, it is not the best. We have QB's who can make things happen but they are not going to be effective running the ball 15+ times per game. That is just not the strength of these QB's. They are better passers than Des was and they need to be used in a more balanced manner.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ While I think we will use 2 TEs a lot, they will be lined up in the slot more times than not. Especially in Greens case because he is not as profficient and Aubry is when it comes to blocking.

Our O-line is around 300 pounds, but they still rely on misdirection and great ball handling skills by the QB in order to seal off blocks allowing us to be se effective in the run. It is the same scheme we have been using since Bustle took over 8 years ago. Until I see this O-line line up and run a man blocking scheme instead of the zone read/spread option then we just have to agree to disagree. _

Well, if your line is as good as its supposed to be, you should be able to line up across from your man and beat him 8 out of 10 times if you outweigh him by 30 pounds. Again, I'm not saying you run the ball everytime out of the I-formation. You CAN pass the ball. There are pass plays, namely playaction, that can be incorporated effectively out of this formation. FAU has successfully used this formation and they don't have the maulers on the line to make it successful. Also, I do believe we could actually run some option out of the I-formation as well. I do believe I've seen it run from this formation. I'm also talking about using split back formations, Ace formationsReally anything that can line the QB from under center at times to give the D a different look.

I think we could get 15+ runs out of the right qb, particularly in masson or even gauthier. have a wishbone formation in the backfield with sails and shankle. run the double option or pitch it out and let one run off tackle. thats what will allow them to pass the ball.

I like the 3-3-5 as a defensive scheme that would work well for UL. After this year there wont be much left of the d-line. since size isn't our strong point and we don't put much pressure on the qb anyway, just take one away and throw in an extra db or an undersized lb and get that extra speed on the field and make it easier to defend the pass.

It seems to me the zone-option is a no-no this season unless Gautier is at QB.

Therefore, I would expect the offense this season to eventually look pretty similar to Babb's first 2 year's.

I fully expect a 300+ yard passing game before mid-season.

_ I think we could get 15+ runs out of the right qb, particularly in masson or even gauthier. have a wishbone formation in the backfield with sails and shankle. run the double option or pitch it out and let one run off tackle. thats what will allow them to pass the ball.

I like the 3-3-5 as a defensive scheme that would work well for UL. After this year there wont be much left of the d-line. since size isn't our strong point and we don't put much pressure on the qb anyway, just take one away and throw in an extra db or an undersized lb and get that extra speed on the field and make it easier to defend the pass. _

Actually, I'd disagree on the DL assessment. You do know that this DL will probably be better next year right? You are going to lose Hall Davis and Laquincy Williams off of this line. Williams has been OK but he's done nothing different nor better than the other 5-6 guys we play at DT. Davis will probably have a solid year this year but it's taken him 3 years to get to that position. We have guys that will be ready to step up behind both of these guys and possibly be better. You will be very pleased to see Tyrell Gaddies play both DT and DE and he is extremely athletic. Assuming Nate Douglas is here, he'll likely start and be our best pass rushing DE. Brandon McCray may or may not redshirt this year but was very impressive this fall at DT and he is HUGE. You put him and the other guys to complement Derrick Dean and you've got a really solid line. In fact, this defense will be the SBC's best or certainly one of them as they will likely return 8 starters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information