Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robert Walker is out for 09

Default Robert Walker is out for 09

Default Re: Parrott Blog: Sources say that Robert Walker is out

You've got to be kiddingFirst the injuries, now we may lose this kid. Wait, how could he be ineligible if he was cleared by the NCAA and hasn't attended one class yet?

Supposedly he did not qualify academically. Could come back as a grayshirt in January if he gets his ACT score. But as of now, he could go anywhere this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Supposedly he did not qualify academically. Could come back as a grayshirt in January if he gets his ACT score. But as of now, he could go anywhere this fall. _

But before a freshman begins practice, don't they have to be cleared with the NCAA clearinghouse? That is how Sails didn't get to play until late last year because they were awaiting his transcript approval from College of the Lost Desert or wherever.

That is my understanding. His second ACT test score was flagged due to a questionable jump from the first score. I heard that statewide ACT results came out yesterday, so maybe his third attempt was far from his second score and the NCAA nixed the second one. We will get more when the university puts out a release later tonight.

Here is a statement from the university, sent out by sports information director Daryl Cetnar at 6:34 p.m.:

"Mamou running back Robert Walker did not qualify academically and is not expected to enroll in classes for the Fall 2009 semester. Please refrain from inquiring about Walker ’s status with any of the coaching staff or administration. Walker is now technically considered a recruitable athlete and NCAA rules prohibit public comment about prospects. Thank you for your understanding."

Daryl Cetnar
    Sports Information Director
    Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ But before a freshman begins practice, don't they have to be cleared with the NCAA clearinghouse? That is how Sails didn't get to play until late last year because they were awaiting his transcript approval from College of the Lost Desert or wherever. _
    I haven’t spoke to Robert today, but several of his teammates have told me he is very disappointed in the Clearinghouses decision. Robert Walker worked extremely hard during the summer and has been accepted by his teammates. Walker really wanted to be part of the Cajun program and his teammates stated that he is still determined to be part of this program. I hope Robert can retain his eligibility in the spring, because in all my conversations with him leading up to signing day, he was ready to be a Ragin’Cajun. I wish Robert the best of luck and hope he returns to the Cajun program if that is his final decision.

What? How do you not know he is not qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Etowncajun View Post
    _ What? How do you not know he is not qualified. _
    Apparently his second ACT score was questionable because of the large jump in score from the original test. Score was flagged, he retested, score came in lower than qualifying and the NCAA threw out the second(passing) test.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ I haven’t spoke to Robert today, but several of his teammates have told me he is very disappointed in the Clearinghouses decision. Robert Walker worked extremely hard during the summer and has been accepted by his teammates. Walker really wanted to be part of the Cajun program and his teammates stated that he is still determined to be part of this program. I hope Robert can retain his eligibility in the spring, because in all my conversations with him leading up to signing day, he was ready to be a Ragin’Cajun. I wish Robert the best of luck and hope he returns to the Cajun program if that is his final decision. _

Yeah, I think he also wants to be here badly. I loved seeing him at quite a few of the home basketball games in the winter and I'm sure he worked his butt off in the summer to try to get in the rotation. I was most excited about Robert of all the freshmen we signed due to his tremendous upside. I sure hope he decides to stay with us and be a part of the cajun family.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Apparently his second ACT score was questionable because of the large jump in score from the original test. Score was flagged, he retested, score came in lower than qualifying and the NCAA threw out the second(passing) test. _

Which is understandable but my question to Cajun T was, Aren't you supposed to be completely cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse before you participate. They flagged this second attempt way back in the recruiting process. It just seems like pitiful timing to do this after he has already begun to practice and prepare for the season. I would have thought that if it was a big deal to the NCAA, they would have flagged him earlier such as Undre Sails last year.

_ Which is understandable but my question to Cajun T was, Aren't you supposed to be completely cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse before you participate. They flagged this second attempt way back in the recruiting process. It just seems like pitiful timing to do this after he has already begun to practice and prepare for the season. I would have thought that if it was a big deal to the NCAA, they would have flagged him earlier such as Undre Sails last year. _
    Taking a guess, I would think the reason it was so late was that the last ACT testing date to submit scores for eligibility is in June. They gave him until that time to get a passing score. By the time the scores are returned in July by ACT then submitted to the clearinghouse, that takes some time. I wouldn't think that they would throw out the passing score until he was given every opportunity to pass.

Normally those recruits such as the 2 or 3 at Louisiana State that could not report, had never passed the test. Not trying to single out La. St., just that their players were in the news a couple of weeks back.

_ Which is understandable but my question to Cajun T was, Aren't you supposed to be completely cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse before you participate. They flagged this second attempt way back in the recruiting process. It just seems like pitiful timing to do this after he has already begun to practice and prepare for the season. I would have thought that if it was a big deal to the NCAA, they would have flagged him earlier such as Undre Sails last year. _
    My understanding of Clearhouse standards is that they have until the first official day of class to review an athletes eligibility. If the Clearinghouse does not make a final determination before that date, then the athlete can no longer practice. The univeristy was given notice that his test was under review and he was allowed to practice until the final decision is rendered.

Now its entirely different for an athlete that does not score high enough on the ACT or may be short on his core and has to attend summer school. Until that athlete has attained the standards for eligibility, he cannot dress out. (Jewell Ratliff)

Sails could not practice because one of his final grades had not been released by a professor in JC. The university compliance office could clear his transcripts.

BTW, what has happen to Robert Walker is not uncommon. It has happen to several athletes in the past for the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ My understanding of Clearhouse standards is that they have until the first official day of class to review an athletes eligibility. If the Clearinghouse does not make a final determination before that date, then the athlete can no longer practice. The univeristy was given notice that his test was under review and he was allowed to practice until the final decision is rendered.

Now its entirely different for an athlete that does not score high enough on the ACT or may be short on his core and has to attend summer school. Until that athlete has attained the standards for eligibility, he cannot dress out. (Jewell Ratliff)

Sails could not practice because one of his final grades had not been released by a professor in JC. The university compliance office could clear his transcripts.

BTW, what has happen to Robert Walker is not uncommon. It has happen to several athletes in the past for the Cajuns. _
    I am confused by the comment "he is a recruitable athlete". If he is not eligible here, he should not be eligible anywhere. Is that correct or am I missing something. I presume he could go to JC or pay his own way to school somewhere. From the comment, he will not enroll, I gather he can't afford to pay his own way. My guess is that he spends the rest of the fall preparing for and taking another crack at the ACT. If he is successful, he could be on scholarship in the spring semester.

If he's not eligible here, he would not be eligible right now at any other NCAA school. (He could go to an NAIA school or junior college, but that wouldn't make much sense.)

My guess is that Walker sits out the fall, tries to get his ACT score and enrolls at UL in the spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information