Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

1. Default Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

When UL ran in a reserve quarterback during last Tuesday night’s 55-40 win over Arkansas State, it wasn’t usual backup Brooks Haack.

Rather, it was fellow redshirt sophomore Jalen Nixon.

Default Re: Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

It's becoming obvious Hud doesn't like Haack. I guess coach is a leg guy and doesn't care for a nice arm. First game back from disciplinary issues and Hud throws Nixon a bone. Haack followed the rules and has the best arm on the team by far and rides the pine during blowouts.

Looks like we'll be a running team for the next few years. Nothing wrong with that. I just hate to see a great arm and all the potential at widereceiver and tightend not being utilized. Jmo

I saw it differently Haack is our clear cut number 2 wanted to try something different without changing our scheme of things. Brooks proved last week that is is not a runner he is our best passer and Hud's no dummy he knows that. I thought since you can't read the numbers on the jerseys that was genius to sneak Nixon in plus he's not a bad passer neither. This is Broadway's team until he gets hurt which I hope it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    It's becoming obvious Hud doesn't like Haack. I guess coach is a leg guy and doesn't care for a nice arm. First game back from disciplinary issues and Hud throws Nixon a bone. Haack followed the rules and has the best arm on the team by far and rides the pine during blowouts.

Looks like we'll be a running team for the next few years. Nothing wrong with that. I just hate to see a great arm and all the potential at widereceiver and tightend not being utilized. Jmo
    I have no earthly idea how you come to that conclusion. When dd we blow teams out that we could but didn't play Haack? When we were getting blown out, I certainly didn't want Haack in as much as I wanted Broadway to keep getting game reps and straighten out the offense when we were struggling. Heck, that was all the case for every game up until Texas St. Broadway is clearly the #1 and to me the best way to get the whole offense going is through game reps especially without Jamal

And now what, because Nixon played Tuesday that means he's ahead of Haack? Nixon played on running downs to take some of the beating and hard hits from Terrance and because Nixon is essentially a better power runner than Broadway. Also, it was a nice change of pace and curveball for ASU's defense who probably didn't even notice we changed qbs. Haack is obviously not coming in for that reason.

To make a statement that Hud doesn't like Haack is a bit ridiculous. Hud has praised Haack throughout the summer, fall and into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    I have no earthly idea how you come to that conclusion. When dd we blow teams out that we could but didn't play Haack? When we were getting blown out, I certainly didn't want Haack in as much as I wanted Broadway to keep getting game reps and straighten out the offense when we were struggling. Heck, that was all the case for every game up until Texas St. Broadway is clearly the #1 and to me the best way to get the whole offense going is through game reps especially without Jamal

And now what, because Nixon played Tuesday that means he's ahead of Haack? Nixon played on running downs to take some of the beating and hard hits from Terrance and because Nixon is essentially a better power runner than Broadway. Also, it was a nice change of pace and curveball for ASU's defense who probably didn't even notice we changed qbs. Haack is obviously not coming in for that reason.

To make a statement that Hud doesn't like Haack is a bit ridiculous. Hud has praised Haack throughout the summer, fall and into the season.
    We have plenty of running backs who could come in for a change of pace on a straight running play. Coach threw Nixon a bone. It was not some great strategic move. I know it's BW's team. I got no problem with that. We'll see next year if Hud like Haack or not. You may be right, but I doubt it.

We have plenty of running backs who could come in for a change of pace on a straight running play. Coach threw Nixon a bone. It was not some great strategic move. I know it's BW's team. I got no problem with that. We'll see next year if Hud like Haack or not. You may be right, but I doubt it.
    I may not be an issue if Florida hires Mullen and miss state looks this way

Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    I may not be an issue if Florida hires Mullen and miss state looks this way
    Way to derail thread!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

.you just might be right A81, Hud doesn't like Haack. Haack has demonstrated that he is not a "run" threat in a read-option based offense. Hud would prefer to use a QB who is more capable of executing the run which is necessary in a read-option based offense. Hud made a coaching decision based on utilizing one of his players, who possess a skill-set that should cause him to excel in his read-option based offense. Therefore, COACH Hud threw one of HIS players a bone, in lieu of using an ineffective player under the circumstances. You just might be right about Hud A81, but I doubt it. Coach Hud was just being a good Coach A81. (friendly sarcasm)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't see any issue with this. Not only, as Hud stated, is Nixon a little bit better runner (and we were in run mode), I like having the future opponents guarded about who might be put in the game to spell Terrance. We need to share reps when possible. This was not a knock on Haack. Haack isn't as interchangeable to our offense as is Nixon. Switching from TB to Haack is a bigger switch than from TB to Nixon. And if we're rolling with "whoever" is at QB. or at right guard. or at middle linebacker. why are we so sensitive about it?

When Nixon wasn't available, and TB was struggling (and our coaching use of him was struggling) I could understand us wanting/needing to see Haack. But we're rolling right now. There is no reason to question our coach's decisions at QB.

I want Hud to respond, at times, to our comments, with at least some open-minded consideration. But, if we question things like this. when we're winning. he's going to continue treating us all like a group of numb nuts.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    .But, if we question things like this. when we're winning. he's going to continue treating us all like a group of numb nuts.
    Numbnuts is indeed.a good word!

How about Nixon move into Alonzo Harris' position next year? Aren't they close in size? Didn't Nixon play running back in high school?

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I agree. Hey you know what? I think HUD hates him actually. He should be kicked off the team. Just a horrible human being!

13. Default Re: Nixon returns to Cajuns' rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    I agree. Hey you know what? I think HUD hates him actually. He should be kicked off the team. Just a horrible human being!
    ------POSSIBLY HAACK STARTS IF HE TRANSFERS TO TULANE OF TECH!!! But lets be honest and that is coaches play the guys that they THINK give them the best chance to WIN----There is a reason that as a freshman Nixon was tried as an H back, but also kept on the depth chart as a QB----Somebody saw some obvious talent and a future in him (Tulane game)---I think that Prescott of Miss ST is the best QB that I have seen and Nixon is the closest to him in style of play!!! So if we are in a hurry up 2 minute offense guess who I might have run It???? Yes Haack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    How about Nixon move into Alonzo Harris' position next year? Aren't they close in size? Didn't Nixon play running back in high school?
    Nixon was a QB in a wing T offense.

Maybe I should clarify, I didn't mean he din't like him personally. Hell they might be best friends. I meant he doesn't like him as Broadway's relief and heir apparent. I'm pretty sure coach Hud does like the way he throws the ball. Whats not to like? But i think that there are other factors that are considered.

Not comparing talent levels, but it would be like having Jake Delomne and Brian Mitchell on the same team. That coach would have to make a decision. Who does he not like as a starter? Sure he likes em both but there is going to be a reason why he doesn't like one of them as the starting QB for his team. Hopefully Everyone stays healthy and we keep winning and we don't find out for sure until next year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information