Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Moves Up To 13th In USTFCCCA South Central Region Poll

1. Ragin' Cajuns Louisiana Moves Up To 13th In USTFCCCA South Central Region Poll

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 13 in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) South Central Region poll, which was released on Monday.

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Louisiana Moves Up To 13th In USTFCCCA South Central Region Poll

Like I been saying, things are looking up with the track and field program.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not real familiar with "cross country". I assume that the course is set up with elevation changes, etc. My question is, are there runners that are better running the "off track" courses rather than just going around a track a bunch of times? Or would the same people be the best, regardless if it's cross country or say a ton of laps around and around a track?

Also, what are the responsibilities of a cross country coach? I hope this does not sound condescending in any way, I'm seriously curious as to what the finer points and/or techniques are that could be coached into a cross country athlete. I know that there are some former track athletes on this board, and I appreciate any responses and info.

As far as courses, they vary tremendously. It really is determined by the coaches as to where they can find to run races and the school's location geographically. Weather plays a huge part, as cross country is ran in grass. Example: UL runs races at Acadiana Park. Depending on how you set up the course, it can be pretty difficult. Footing in the woods is awful and there are hills in the back part of the park, which seems misplaced in Lafayette. McNeese St. has a course that is similar to running a race in Moore Park, very flat and fast course. Distances vary meet to meet. Men typically run anything 5k, 4 miler, 8k, and 10k. All depends on race directors on distance. Women 2 miler up to 5k typically.

The athletes physical attributes determine if they translate to cross country. Usually, athletes who run the mile up to the 10k on the track are your athletes who run Cross, but 800 runners can run on the teams as well. 800 runners may not run well but the training in the fall for cross would help 800 runners with strength and endurance for the 800 in the spring. Matt Rice on UL is a 800/miler for track but is leading the team in CC running races between 4milers to 8k so far this season. Running Cross will help, especially with the runners gaining strength through more miles in training, which helps with speed on the track. The more strength you have, the easier and safer it is to add speed later in the season.

As a Cross Country coach, usually the coach who trains the distance runners in the spring is your cross country coach. Kelly LaMaison is the coach for Cross Country at UL. She is doing a fantastic job, one hell of a recruiter, and even better person. She has made quite a name for herself within Louisiana with the high school kids, recruiting several state champions, all state runners on both the men's and women's side. Its evident of the 13th regional ranking.

Seems like we could work with the city to use the horse farm property for this or is it too small?

Doing work!

Coaching cross country as far as training would not be any different in philosophy, racing tactics would be different though.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Seems like we could work with the city to use the horse farm property for this or is it too small?
    It would work but it wouldn't be as tough of a course as what is at Acadiana Park. That run through the woods can be a bit tough. I've seen many a runner bite the dust/mud on those tree roots.

Highland Park in BR is another course run by local teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Horse Farm would awesome, perfect in my opinion. Location is great. There has been some discussion. Hope discussion turns into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    It would work but it wouldn't be as tough of a course as what is at Acadiana Park. That run through the woods can be a bit tough. I've seen many a runner bite the dust/mud on those tree roots.

Highland Park in BR is another course run by local teams.
    Running for UL in the past, Acadiana Park was the toughest course I ran on besides WKU course. Depending on the course set up at Acadiana, the course can be brutal when couple with hot humid weather.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Coaching cross country as far as training would not be any different in philosophy, racing tactics would be different though.
    We used a lot more weight training prior to CC. I always found it took a "stronger" runner to compete in CC as opposed to T&F. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    We used a lot more weight training prior to CC. I always found it took a "stronger" runner to compete in CC as opposed to T&F. Just my 2 cents.
    I would agree with stronger runner.

And people thought decatholete's were crazy.

Thanks for all of the info.

Another question. Not being on a track with lanes, is there any "gamesmanship" going on during a race, ie, teammates cutting opponents off to help a teammate? Also, is it illegal to have any contact of any kind?

This is really interesting. So a school can set up a course, at a length they prefer, through whatever terrain they prefer? That's kinda cool. You could definitely create a distinct "home field" advantage by setting things up to the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

Again, I appreciate the responses.

Gamesmanship: As long as you don't impede another runners stride, to the point that they fall, you usually can get away with cutting them off. Teams do tactic plan before races, and have been known at times to plan "boxing in" an opponent to slow em down. Similar to what you would see in a high speed police chase. Runner in front of opponent, runner on side of opponent, other side of opponent is barrier to mark side of course. You dont see it often but you watch enough races you will see it.

Beginning of a race is generally when you see the most contact. Typical issues are spikes to the knees, maybe an elbow or two. Getting right up to someones hip and hitting them in the elbow usually ____es em off. And if you really dont like someone, you could give em a nice rabbit punch to the kidney. All of these tactics were never in my box of tricks (hehe).

There are Rules of Competition just like every other sport. There are rules to set up a course but in general as long as you uphold runners safety you should be good. I have seen some courses with hay bells. Many big schools run courses on golf courses. Texas A&M did, Baylor, to name a few. Golf course have great footing and rolling hills that make for an honest race, and limits injury from loose ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information