Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Predictions

Default Re: Sun Belt Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by racajun54 View Post
    _ Well lets look at UL's record against those comparable opponents. If you remove the 25 wins and 16 losses against FCS teams UL's record is 132 - 162. They can beat all the Kansas States they want but if you don't get a total of 6 wins against FBS teams you aren't going to a bowl game. If FCS schools aren't so important in the won loss column then why are they counted and why does UL keep scheduling them? In the 26 seasons since UL went FBS only in 5 seasons did they not have at least one FCS team on your schedule. Granted UL is not Ohio State but neither are they Boise State. When a school's football record is looked at its the overall record and it doesn't matter who those wins and losses were against they all count. In UL's 2008 media guide they list all years and all teams played no matter what division the opponent was in. So I wouldn't be so holier than thou when it comes to overall records or even records over a certain time period no matter who any one played. _

Your argument is a win is a win. My argument is that is not true. If you schedule more than one FCS opponent and beat both, they only count as one win when talking bowl eligibility. We are also saddled with the requirement to play "money games" to help facilitate our athletic budget. There was a time when we played in the same division and obviously filled our schedule with FCS opponents but we no longer do that. Quality of opponent and beating them will do a lot more for your program than winning more games against lesser competition. Troy was able to establish this over recent years with wins over BCS schools that helped them untrack their program and now they are in the right direction. I could care less what our record was against McNeese or any team in the 60's. That is the most baseless argument as it means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Your argument is a win is a win. My argument is that is not true. If you schedule more than one FCS opponent and beat both, they only count as one win when talking bowl eligibility. We are also saddled with the requirement to play "money games" to help facilitate our athletic budget. There was a time when we played in the same division and obviously filled our schedule with FCS opponents but we no longer do that. Quality of opponent and beating them will do a lot more for your program than winning more games against lesser competition. Troy was able to establish this over recent years with wins over BCS schools that helped them untrack their program and now they are in the right direction. I could care less what our record was against McNeese or any team in the 60's. That is the most baseless argument as it means nothing. _
    I never said to schedule more FCS teams I was just pointing out your record without those wins and losses. UL could beat the top five teams in the nation but if you don't get that 6th win against ULM or Ark. State you are not going to a bowl game. Quality wins do count yes but only if you get the 6 wins. There is no requirement for you to play money games that is a choice the school makes. I understand what you mean by that but don't make it out to be some kind of rule.
    Let's take out all the money games like Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State. I may have missed a few but for the most part these were your money games against the major conferences from 1982 to 2008. The remaining teams are teams that would be on a fairly equal footing with UL by that I mean teams you should be able to defeat more often than not. Your record against those teams 88 - 108. You can't beat the lesser, (your term), FBS teams your schedule. Troy is a good example of how to do it. They started out in Div 1AA/FCS and built a solid program then they were able to make the move to FBS with greater success than UL. UL elected not to do that and thats fine that was what they thought they should do. But if you look at Marshall, Troy, Central Flordia, LA Tech, even North Texas, they started in FCS then moved to FBS and all having gone to at least one bowl game since moving to FBS. Now before you go off I am not suggesting you go down to FCS then move back up its too late for that. Just making the point those schools used a better model than UL did and have been somewhat successful in the tranistion. You don't care about your record against McNeese or other FCS teams is fine but spare me how superior you are just because you are in FBS. If McNeese or App. State moved into the Sunbelt today I have no doubt they would win at least half their conference games especially App. State.

_ I never said to schedule more FCS teams I was just pointing out your record without those wins and losses. UL could beat the top five teams in the nation but if you don't get that 6th win against ULM or Ark. State you are not going to a bowl game. Quality wins do count yes but only if you get the 6 wins. There is no requirement for you to play money games that is a choice the school makes. I understand what you mean by that but don't make it out to be some kind of rule.
    Let's take out all the money games like Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State. I may have missed a few but for the most part these were your money games against the major conferences from 1982 to 2008. The remaining teams are teams that would be on a fairly equal footing with UL by that I mean teams you should be able to defeat more often than not. Your record against those teams 88 - 108. You can't beat the lesser, (your term), FBS teams your schedule. Troy is a good example of how to do it. They started out in Div 1AA/FCS and built a solid program then they were able to make the move to FBS with greater success than UL. UL elected not to do that and thats fine that was what they thought they should do. But if you look at Marshall, Troy, Central Flordia, LA Tech, even North Texas, they started in FCS then moved to FBS and all having gone to at least one bowl game since moving to FBS. Now before you go off I am not suggesting you go down to FCS then move back up its too late for that. Just making the point those schools used a better model than UL did and have been somewhat successful in the tranistion. You don't care about your record against McNeese or other FCS teams is fine but spare me how superior you are just because you are in FBS. If McNeese or App. State moved into the Sunbelt today I have no doubt they would win at least half their conference games especially App. State. _

The model for those teams is to win against the big boys. That is the same as ours. However, we don't have the athletic budget to compete with these guys and we're only now getting to where we're addressing the facility upgrades and addressing those resources that will hopefully attract good young players. I understand what you are saying. You win and they will come. However, money games are required and essential at this time to our current budget to assist with facilitating everything we want to do as a program. I would love to have one money game per year and play the teams more on our level but its not in the ballpark as of right now and I don't have a problem with it. My point was I'm less concerned about those games because you can do your part in going to a bowl by simply winning your conference. That still means you are more than likely going to need out of conference wins to become bowl eligible but until we can win conference, I'm not concerned with played FCS teams. We can't schedule more than 1 per year and our winning percentage against them in recent years is very good. With the Kansas States and Oklahoma States coming to town, that is where you build the excitement for your program and a solid showing or win can do wonders...much more than 10 wins against FCS opponents. My point is if Troy, USM and such can get to that point, why not us?

_ The model for those teams is to win against the big boys. That is the same as ours. However, we don't have the athletic budget to compete with these guys and we're only now getting to where we're addressing the facility upgrades and addressing those resources that will hopefully attract good young players. I understand what you are saying. You win and they will come. However, money games are required and essential at this time to our current budget to assist with facilitating everything we want to do as a program. I would love to have one money game per year and play the teams more on our level but its not in the ballpark as of right now and I don't have a problem with it. My point was I'm less concerned about those games because you can do your part in going to a bowl by simply winning your conference. That still means you are more than likely going to need out of conference wins to become bowl eligible but until we can win conference, I'm not concerned with played FCS teams. We can't schedule more than 1 per year and our winning percentage against them in recent years is very good. With the Kansas States and Oklahoma States coming to town, that is where you build the excitement for your program and a solid showing or win can do wonders...much more than 10 wins against FCS opponents. My point is if Troy, USM and such can get to that point, why not us? _
    I never said anything about scheduling more FCS teams. You keep bringing that up. You go undefeated in your conference thats what 8 wins if Western Kentucky is eligible? That gets you to a bowl game no problem you don't have to win against K State or OK State. Play one or two money games and play the rest against FBS teams outside your conference that you can probably beat. Wins are what attract kids and fans no matter what you think. K State when Syder was there the first time built their program up by playing no bodies then had a weak nothern divison to play in, and got 8 to 10 wins a year. Granted they got beat up in the Big 12 championship games and the bowl games but at least they won and put fannies in the seats. UL needs to build a winning culture which will lead to a great win against a major team down the road. UL has never had that winning culture. Troy State had it in FCS then took their licks tranistioning to FBS and now has had some success. Marshall did the same thing built a winning culture in FCS moved on the FBS with no problem.

_ I never said anything about scheduling more FCS teams. You keep bringing that up. You go undefeated in your conference thats what 8 wins if Western Kentucky is eligible? That gets you to a bowl game no problem you don't have to win against K State or OK State. Play one or two money games and play the rest against FBS teams outside your conference that you can probably beat. Wins are what attract kids and fans no matter what you think. K State when Syder was there the first time built their program up by playing no bodies then had a weak nothern divison to play in, and got 8 to 10 wins a year. Granted they got beat up in the Big 12 championship games and the bowl games but at least they won and put fannies in the seats. UL needs to build a winning culture which will lead to a great win against a major team down the road. UL has never had that winning culture. Troy State had it in FCS then took their licks tranistioning to FBS and now has had some success. Marshall did the same thing built a winning culture in FCS moved on the FBS with no problem. _

In a round about way, I think we are actually agreeing. I just feel that playing the money games is crucial to our survival and that hopefully there will be a time where we can play less of them. Troy still plays them but they are more competitive and I'd argue that those wins against the big boys have done more for their program than any 8 win year they've had.

In a round about way, I think we are actually agreeing. I just feel that playing the money games is crucial to our survival and that hopefully there will be a time where we can play less of them. Troy still plays them but they are more competitive and I'd argue that those wins against the big boys have done more for their program than any 8 win year they've had.

I think their two nationally televised wins over Big XII programs, their 3 bowl appearances and their consistent winning have resulted in far, far more media coverage by ESPN, etc. than being in the D2 playoffs and championship gets anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I think their two nationally televised wins over Big XII programs, their 3 bowl appearances and their consistent winning have resulted in far, far more media coverage by ESPN, etc. than being in the D2 playoffs and championship gets anyone. _
    Great point but they created a winning culture in Div 1AA/FCS that carried over into Div 1A/FBS. UL has never really created that winning culture and by that I mean consistant winning seasons of 4 to 5 years straight with maybe one losing or medicore season once and a while. But then you go back to winning 4 to 5 years straight. This is the same model used by Marshall. NOT SAYING UL SHOULD DO THAT its too late just making a point. By the way Troy was never in Div 2 that is a separate category. FCS is mainly used to describe the old Div 1AA.

UL has never really created that winning culture

LOL, tell us something we don't know.

I'm here to tell you in case it is not obvious, Troy is pleased as punch to be in D1 football and in the Sun Belt Conference.

Don't be surprised at all to see Texas State make a similar choice in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, you Cowpies can go on and on about how great D2 football is and how smart you are for knowing where you belong, blah, blah, blah.

Seriously, mainstream Cajun fans aren't interested in what happens in D2 football and/or the Southland conference. That issue was settled for us back in the early 1980's. Y'all need to cluck about all this on the McNeese forum.

_ LOL, tell us something we don't know.

I'm here to tell you in case it is not obvious, Troy is pleased as punch to be in D1 football and in the Sun Belt Conference.

Don't be surprised at all to see Texas State make a similar choice in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, you Cowpies can go on and on about how great D2 football is and how smart you are for knowing where you belong, blah, blah, blah.

Seriously, mainstream Cajun fans aren't interested in what happens in D2 football and/or the Southland conference. That issue was settled for us back in the early 1980's. Y'all need to cluck about all this on the McNeese forum. I prefer clucking on here its more fun because you get irritated so easily!!!! _
    I am sure they are especially with their success so far. As far as the Texas State going FBS that is old news. That has been around for about 2 or 3 years now. I am not sure what is delaying it I figured they would have been gone by now. FCS football has been great for McNeese and we are pleased with the decision that was made in the 1980's just as I am sure UL is pleased with the decision they made in the 80's. Just to clarify again since I guess being a UL fan you don't understand Texas State and McNeese are in FCS or the old Div 1AA. Schools like Northern Alabama (you guys should remember them) are in D2 or the proper designation is D II. But like most overblown UL fans you can't keep your facts straight.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Great point but they created a winning culture in Div 1AA/FCS that carried over into Div 1A/FBS. UL has never really created that winning culture and by that I mean consistant winning seasons of 4 to 5 years straight with maybe one losing or medicore season once and a while. But then you go back to winning 4 to 5 years straight. This is the same model used by Marshall. NOT SAYING UL SHOULD DO THAT its too late just making a point. By the way Troy was never in Div 2 that is a separate category. FCS is mainly used to describe the old Div 1AA. _
    You are right on one point... UL hasn't created a "winning culture" in football. You don't have to explain it... it is simply a fact. My only departure from hanging onto that point is that once a dictator regime passes... you really can't take the prior "culture" and saddle it on top of the present.

I thought that in the Nelson Stokley years that program and its fans reached a position where we could have opened up the fuel line and starting scorching some people. Our admin, and it is not just a theory, would not do so. We paid a heavy, heavy price for going the route of an uninspired Stokley and then Jerry Baldwin. The regime made those decisions... not the fans.

You are right, however, it has proved somewhat successful for many D1AA programs to get into a solid winning position and then upgrade to the D1A. Not everyone does as well as Marshall and Troy... but it provides a good springboard effect if you take advantage of it.

The problem UL had was not recognizing how critical football is to your overall athletic department and your university as a whole. It is where you dump every dollar from your available fan economy... or you don't play the game. I would love nothing more than to hear one of the neophites that disagrees with me... and I'll stay quite while they give their peasant-minded answer... and then I will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that going full throttle in football, in the south, at a public university, is THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY THE GAME.

I would rather not have a football program than to do anything other than plan on full annihilation of every other football program in the known universe. That is what it takes to get that one extra, critical, elusive win... that makes all the difference.

_ I am sure they are especially with their success so far. As far as the Texas State going FBS that is old news. That has been around for about 2 or 3 years now. I am not sure what is delaying it I figured they would have been gone by now. FCS football has been great for McNeese and we are pleased with the decision that was made in the 1980's just as I am sure UL is pleased with the decision they made in the 80's. Just to clarify again since I guess being a UL fan you don't understand Texas State and McNeese are in FCS or the old Div 1AA. Schools like Northern Alabama (you guys should remember them) are in D2 or the proper designation is D II. But like most overblown UL fans you can't keep your facts straight. _
    "But like most overblown UL fans you can't keep your facts straight."

LOL, there's nothing wrong with my facts.

I was directed to the McNeese forum awhile back when Carl Dubois wrote an article for the Baton Rouge Business Report in essence calling for the "state schools" to re-establish the old Gulf States Conference.

It was well worth the laugh I got to see "facts" and "figures" get so tortured by full of bull cowpies like you.

Call yourselves whatever you want, for me it's Daa or D2 or whichever I happen to prefer on a given day.

_ "But like most overblown UL fans you can't keep your facts straight."

LOL, there's nothing wrong with my facts.

I was directed to the McNeese forum awhile back when Carl Dubois wrote an article for the Baton Rouge Business Report in essence calling for the "state schools" to re-establish the old Gulf States Conference.

It was well worth the laugh I got to see "facts" and "figures" get so tortured by full of bull cowpies like you.

Call yourselves whatever you want, for me it's Daa or D2 or whichever I happen to prefer on a given day. _
    In that case you are the University of Southwestern Louisiana or Southwest Louisiana Institute or whichever I happen to prefer on a given day.

_ In that case you are the University of Southwestern Louisiana or Southwest Louisiana Institute or whichever I happen to prefer on a given day. _
    Whatever, "Lake Charles Junior College" fan. LOL!!! Or, maybe "John McNeese Junior College".

SLI 1921-1960 Re: Sun Belt Predictions

_ Whatever, "Lake Charles Junior College" fan. LOL!!! Or, maybe "John McNeese Junior College". _
    OH you hurt me so much with that one boo hoo!!!! But you forgot Ryan Street High!!!! By any name you want to call us we win football games and having a winning record against any of your names you want to use.

_ OH you hurt me so much with that one boo hoo!!!! But you forgot Ryan Street High!!!! By any name you want to call us we win football games and having a winning record against any of your names you want to use. _
    Wait, you're not a cajun fan?
    How did you come to pick your screen name?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information