Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Predictions

1. Default Re: Sun Belt Predictions

A nice preview with odds to win sun belt

2009 Sun Belt Preview/odds

http://www.touthouse.com/sports-bett...-sun-belt.html

UL Football Re: Sun Belt Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by rbilleaud View Post
    The only reason Desormeaux had the numbers he did was because of the presence of Fenroy and Cherry.
    The same could be said for all three. At the end of the day Mike. D was a stud at disguising the ball and reading how the defense would react. Once in the open field he was dangerous and had very good vision. IMO, he earned all those numbers in the books.

Default Re: Sun Belt Predictions

_ As much as we'll miss Fenroy this year, my bigger concern is at QB. Every QB we've had since Delhomme has been something of a disappointment. The only reason Desormeaux had the numbers he did was because of the presence of Fenroy and Cherry. Now without those two producers on offense and no returning starter at QB, I have serious concerns. Perhaps McGuire or Mason will surprise me, I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. I hope Bustle will not hesitate to pull the trigger with Gautier if we are not getting production out of the other two; given Bustle's past tendency to stay with something that may not be working, I'm not optimistic there either. To me, there's nothing wrong with a good, healthy quarterback controversy, I think it pushes each to outdo the other. Spurrier has used this formula several times in the past to great effect and Richt used it with David Green and D.J. Shockley at Georgia a few years ago. In fact, speaking of Georgia, when Matt Stafford started to fall apart early in his sophomore year, Richt brought Brandon Cox in to compete for the starting job. After a few games like that, Stafford straightened out and became the no. 1 pick stud he is today. If there is a serious question with Mason or McGuire, I say use em both and throw Gautier in there too for good measure. _

I agree with most of the post except:

I do not think Chery inflated Des's numbers because Chery's career is not exactly one for the record books besides, 80% of his production last year came in about 2 1/2 games so I don't think his loss is as big a deal.

I also don't believe in rotating QB's unless they offer something completely different. All of our QB's do the same things well and don't do one thing much better than the next. I say you develop your starter and prepare him but you let the best man win the job. I'm not an advocate of switching through the course of the game in this case because there is a rhythm that needs to be developed with a QB and his offense and you are not allowing that to happen.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ As much as we'll miss Fenroy this year, my bigger concern is at QB. Every QB we've had since Delhomme has been something of a disappointment. The only reason Desormeaux had the numbers he did was because of the presence of Fenroy and Cherry. Now without those two producers on offense and no returning starter at QB, I have serious concerns. Perhaps McGuire or Mason will surprise me, I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. I hope Bustle will not hesitate to pull the trigger with Gautier if we are not getting production out of the other two; given Bustle's past tendency to stay with something that may not be working, I'm not optimistic there either. To me, there's nothing wrong with a good, healthy quarterback controversy, I think it pushes each to outdo the other. Spurrier has used this formula several times in the past to great effect and Richt used it with David Green and D.J. Shockley at Georgia a few years ago. In fact, speaking of Georgia, when Matt Stafford started to fall apart early in his sophomore year, Richt brought Brandon Cox in to compete for the starting job. After a few games like that, Stafford straightened out and became the no. 1 pick stud he is today. If there is a serious question with Mason or McGuire, I say use em both and throw Gautier in there too for good measure. _
    Without question, of the skill positions, we are most impacted by how well one or more of our QBs performs. I believe we will run with the tagged QB until he is either injured or doesn't perform... both of which I hope not to see. The only other scenario is a huge lead late in 4Q. Otherwise, Bustle will stick with his starter... and should. MD and Babb were back to back athletic QBs that Bustle could count on their legs. I expect we will not see as much of a running QB this year as in our past many seasons. They will run, but it will not be the first order of business... at least it better not be.

I do not agree that MD was successful running entirely due to Fenroy and Chery. Obviously, it helped that Fenroy was such a great RB, but most defenses keyed on both players to run. Mike deserves his numbers. You could make as much of a case that Fenroy was aided by Mike as the other way around.

Our coaches have their work cut out for them this season. We do not have these established super legs to count on. We have to have a balanced offense, with some nice pitch and catch plays to assist in opening up the run and vice versa. It is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Without question, of the skill positions, we are most impacted by how well one or more of our QBs performs. I believe we will run with the tagged QB until he is either injured or doesn't perform... both of which I hope not to see. The only other scenario is a huge lead late in 4Q. Otherwise, Bustle will stick with his starter... and should. MD and Babb were back to back athletic QBs that Bustle could count on their legs. I expect we will not see as much of a running QB this year as in our past many seasons. They will run, but it will not be the first order of business... at least it better not be.

I do not agree that MD was successful running entirely due to Fenroy and Chery. Obviously, it helped that Fenroy was such a great RB, but most defenses keyed on both players to run. Mike deserves his numbers. You could make as much of a case that Fenroy was aided by Mike as the other way around.

Our coaches have their work cut out for them this season. We do not have these established super legs to count on. We have to have a balanced offense, with some nice pitch and catch plays to assist in opening up the run and vice versa. It is going to be interesting. _
    These preseason predictions speak more to the respect earned to this point in time more than anything else. If you have been good recently, they will rank you as being good this year. If you have treaded water and loss producers, you will be ranked accordingly. They are but summer time filler and chest beating equipment. imo

I want the preseason publications that picked Utah as #2 or Fresno St to win the CWS.

As to QB's, I believe you don't have to an AA or even an All-conference guy to have success, but you do need a guy who can make the basic plays w/o hurting his team.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    As to QB's, I believe you don't have to an AA or even an All-conference guy to have success, but you do need a guy who can make the basic plays w/o hurting his team. _
    I think that used to be true in our day but isn't so much the case anymore. Successful QBs are generally much better athletes who do much more nowadays than just direct their offenses. We're going to see one in Bryant Lee on Sept 5th.

Obviously, there always exceptions.

7. Default Re: Sun Belt Predictions

This is interesting. Fantasy College Football? Anyways, these are some of the top fantasy players in the Sun Belt featured..

2009 Sun Belt Fantasy Studs

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11979040

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun09 View Post
    _ This is interesting. Fantasy College Football? Anyways, these are some of the top fantasy players in the Sun Belt featured..

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11979040 _
    I think he meant Rob Walker. I dont think a Sr squad FB is a newcomer to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I think that used to be true in our day but isn't so much the case anymore. Successful QBs are generally much better athletes who do much more nowadays than just direct their offenses. We're going to see one in Bryant Lee on Sept 5th.

Obviously, there always exceptions. _
    I was more talkin' bout being able to be successful with a 3 star type QB who played within himself and avoided the costly type mistakes.

Mr. Lee is a talented player, but SU has been hard pressed to be competitive against any FBS teams. imo

Any team can jump up and bite you in the butt if you allow them to, but if this was a softball match SU should be 10-run ruled bout the 3rd inning.

10. Default Re: Sun Belt Predictions

Pretty solid preview

2009 Sun Belt Preview

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/fo...t-preview.html

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ "Looks like Louisiana-Lafayette will be rebuilding in 2009".

Well, that had better not be the case. We've had a 7 year rebuilding process that should be over. We should have enough players to give us quality replacements for what we lost. Anything short of a bowl game should be Bustle's downfall after 7 years. However, I am expecting our defense to step up this year, finally, and with a solid but not spectacular offense, we will surprise everyone. _
    It will be the case I am sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ On the loss of UL's studs and having to replace them . . .

When my friend Troy G. reminded me of this I didn't try to read more into it and I hope you don't either . . .

What happened the year AFTER Payton Manning left Tennessee?

igeaux.mobi _
    UL is not Tennessee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun09 View Post
    _ This is interesting. Fantasy College Football? Anyways, these are some of the top fantasy players in the Sun Belt featured..

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11979040 _
    Remember the key word is FANTASY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your well-researched and riveting posts. Please come again.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by racajun54 View Post
    UL is not Tennessee!!!
    I meant to ask that you try not to read more into the comparison than was warrented.

My bad.

The truth is, for whatever reason, teams have historically shown an ability to rally after studs exit.

Finally, you don't have to be Tennessee to get better from one year to the next.

igeaux.mobi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information