Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another Baseball Defection

Default Re: Another Baseball Defection

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    _ So now the business side of college baseball has hit us locally. i know that it probably happens more at other schools that recruit the best of the best kids. this is probably a little more common, and this is the first time in a while that its happened here. IMO, Lackie and smith's situation is about being name recognition and getting drafted. Whipple is a little different with the suspension and having to sit out a year, but next year is his so called "money" year for the draft so sitting out may affect that. Whats gonna happen when they get drafted in the late rounds(25th or higher) and get offered peanuts and a plane ticket? then what are they gonna do? _
    these defections started with Xavier Alexander two years ago and none of them to date have anything to do with the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ballfan View Post
    _ these defections started with Xavier Alexander two years ago and none of them to date have anything to do with the draft _
    So what are u saying is the problem??

3. Default Re: Another Baseball Defection

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Josh -

I think one of the APR criteria is that you are eligible and transfer to anothr 4 year school. So, I think anyone who leaves a 4 year and goes to a junior college would be an APR hit, I'm not sure though.
    No, you are correct. The Cajuns will lose at least one point apiece for losing Smith and Lackie since they're going to JUCOs. Whipple and Benzel could end up not costing the program any points depending on their overall situation.

(The following information is from my APR story in March about the UL men's basketball program.)

"The NCAA amended the transfer rule beginning in 2007-08. Student-athletes who meet the following criteria will earn an automatic adjustment and be a "1/1" in the last term at their institution. That's how the transfer of former UL basketball player Elijah Millsap last year to UAB did not hurt UL's APR in 2007-08.

To get a waiver, student-athletes must:

*Have at least a 2.6 cumulative GPA.
    *Be eligible and earn "E" in the last term at their institution.
    *Transfer immediately to another four-year school. Documentation is required.
    *The committee will develop criteria for considering adjustments for students with less than a 2.6 GPA who meet all of the other defined criteria."

_ So what are u saying is the problem?? _

I think it would be crazy for us to even try to state what the problem is without talking to those involved. However, I highly doubt that Les Smith and Lackie leaving has to do with name recognition and possible draft status since they are going elesewhere with less name recognition than here. Doesn't make sense to me.

5. Default Re: Whipple, Lackie leaving UL

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Simple. Although Whipple wasn't enrolled in summer school due to playing summer league ball in Kansas, he was expected to be enrolled in school in the fall, according to coach Robe. Thus, Whipple leaves the school/program via transfer. Even if a player quits a team and later transfers to play elsewhere, you could say he is "leaving" one school for another.

Again, Robe told me in all my conversations that Whipple was suspended, and I think I have a proven track record in providing correct information.

Here are a few other examples of similar situations across the country. Note the headlines:

BC quarterback Davis suspended, will transfer
    Suspended NU player Incognito to leaves school
    Suspended player calls it quits at UNM
    Ray Small suspended, will leave program _
    I don't have a problem with the article, I have a problem with the headline.

Whipple "Leaving school” I understand, the newness of "lose" or losing a player from the program I don't.

The facts of the article are spot on even though there is a glaring omission. I know you don't always write your own headline but the program had already lost Whipple. True he (like Justin Gabriel) would have had the chance to earn his way back on the team but nothing is a given. To be fair you did touch on the why's and wherefore's of the suspension in your blog, but in the paper the decision to leave the program leaves a lot of unanswered questions that the uninformed will never think to ask.

In a way it makes it seem like the in-season suspension never happened and the program is in pile on disarray with a spanking new defection.

I tell you what the whole affair seems like to me "You’re Fired" . "You can't fire me, I QUIT."

_ So what are u saying is the problem?? _
    The problem is ROBE The biggest reason by far and Robe's biggest flaw by far as a leader is that he does NOT communicate with his player's at allNEVER!!! And when you have a team that is struggling(like we have had the last two years)you have to roll-up your sleeves and communicate and lead and coach your player's upAll Robe has done has told the player's and the media that his player's are softThat does NOTHING but p_ ss your player's off and make them NOT want to play for you. The bottom line is Robe is an above average coach with a team that has all the pieces in place or a veteran team but he is a way below average coach for a young team

7. Default

To be honest, I think that might be looking too much into the situation. While I did not write the headline, you must understand that there are limitations when writing one for print. You have to sum up something in four or five words. Not much wiggle room. It's supposed to invite people into the story. Whipple is transferring. Some think is misleading to say from the "program" since he was under suspension. I do not since coach Robe has told me time and time again that Whip was just suspended and never mentioned dismissed. He was still enrolled in school, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't have a problem with the article, I have a problem with the headline.

Whipple "Leaving school” I understand, the newness of "lose" or losing a player from the program I don't.

The facts of the article are spot on even though there is a glaring omission. I know you don't always write your own headline but the program had already lost Whipple. True he (like Justin Gabriel) would have had the chance to earn his way back on the team but nothing is a given. To be fair you did touch on the why's and wherefore's of the suspension in your blog, but in the paper the decision to leave the program leaves a lot of unanswered questions that the uninformed will never think to ask.

In a way it makes it seem like the in-season suspension never happened and the program is in pile on disarray with a spanking new defection.

I tell you what the whole affair seems like to me "You’re Fired" . "You can't fire me, I QUIT."
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I think it would be crazy for us to even try to state what the problem is without talking to those involved. However, I highly doubt that Les Smith and Lackie leaving has to do with name recognition and possible draft status since they are going elesewhere with less name recognition than here. Doesn't make sense to me. _
    No they are leaving to become draft eligable immediatley

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ It seem that the players know more about what's going on that the fans do. And decisions are being made to jump ship now rather than later for whatever reason. In my opinion I believe that problems exist to cause these defections. Could be wrong though. _
    You are SPOT on! There is so much they could say but won't. Have you ever noticed how no one EVER smiles or looks like they are having fun? Guess what they aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by dabeouf View Post
    _ Have you ever noticed how no one EVER smiles or looks like they are having fun? Guess what they aren't! _
    Most competitors don't smile or have fun when they aren't winning.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    To be honest, I think that might be looking too much into the situation. While I did not write the headline, you must understand that there are limitations when writing one for print. You have to sum up something in four or five words. Not much wiggle room. It's supposed to invite people into the story. Whipple is transferring. Some think is misleading to say from the "program" since he was under suspension. I do not since coach Robe has told me time and time again that Whip was just suspended and never mentioned dismissed. He was still enrolled in school, too.

igeaux.mobi
    I see your point(s)

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Most competitors don't smile or have fun when they aren't winning. _
    Except AARON BROOKS!

GEAUX UL!

Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    _ Except AARON BROOKS!

GEAUX UL! _
    Why did you have to do it!!

Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by dabeouf View Post
    _ You are SPOT on! There is so much they could say but won't. Have you ever noticed how no one EVER smiles or looks like they are having fun? Guess what they aren't! _
    BINGO!!!!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    Why did you have to do it!!

Because I had to!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information