Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette pronunciation

Default Lafayette pronunciation

Ok, It's the offseason, Question: "How do You pronounce Lafayette"? Or should I ask, what is the proper way to pronounce it? there are two basic pronounciations The way I know. Laff-ee-yette. And the alternative Lah-fay-yette (which is how Stevie p pronounces it no offense stevie I guess it's just how you learned.I know we have name issues with the university, but lets get on the same page with the city name also. this might be a good "poll' question.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Lafayette pronuciation

Laff-ee-yette, unless you have a Cajun accent, then laf-fie-yette is acceptable. :-)
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    _ Ok, It's the offseason, Question: "How do You pronounce Lafayette"? Or should I ask, what is the proper way to pronounce it? there are two basic pronounciations The way I know. Laff-ee-yette. And the alternative Lah-fay-yette (which is how Stevie p pronounces it no offense stevie I guess it's just how you learned.I know we have name issues with the university, but lets get on the same page with the city name also. this might be a good "poll' question. _
    The French way is correct like General Lafayette. In Mississippi there is a Lafayette but pronounce it La Fayette. BTW You do realize we all say New Orleans wrong including the locals in NOLA. It should be pronounced like the city in France. R Lay Ons!

I say Laf-ee-yette. And cringe when I hear people say Laf-i-ette.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ I say Laf-ee-yette. And cringe when I hear people say Laf-i-ette. _

I always wondered why a city that embraces the French and Cajun culture doesn't pronounce the city name with a French accent.

Well, it's certainly become more than just a French culture around Lafayette. French is only part of it. There's also the African, Spanish and Indian cultures, not to mention the American culture, that add as much if not more flavor to the mix.

Take Chartres Street in New Orleans. It's pronounced "charters," when the "real" French pronunciation would be something like "shartr". Just the way it's evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    _ Well, it's certainly become more than just a French culture around Lafayette. French is only part of it. There's also the Spanish and Indian cultures, not to mention the American culture, that add as much if not more flavor to the mix.

Take Chartres Street in New Orleans. It's pronounced "charters," when the "real" French pronunciation would be something like "shartr". Just the way it's evolved. _
    You can't forget about the African influence. Without them we wouldn't have gumbo, okra or jambalaya. Can you imagine South Louisiana without gumbo!

Woops! I'm a coullion for that one! Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    _ Well, it's certainly become more than just a French culture around Lafayette. French is only part of it. There's also the African, Spanish and Indian cultures, not to mention the American culture, that add as much if not more flavor to the mix.

Take Chartres Street in New Orleans. It's pronounced "charters," when the "real" French pronunciation would be something like "shartr". Just the way it's evolved. _
    I've never figured out the real pronunciation of Chartres. whether it's char-ters, shar-tre's, or something else

I say shar-tres. Of course i'm not french so.

It's funny how NOLA has so much French their but they don't pronounce anything the way the french do. Like Trahan Richard, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ I've never figured out the real pronunciation of Chartres. whether it's char-ters, shar-tre's, or something else

I say shar-tres. Of course i'm not french so.

It's funny how NOLA has so much French their but they don't pronounce anything the way the french do. Like Trahan Richard, etc. _
    I would imagine 100 years ago they pronounced it correctly but as English took hold it went away. I love how 95% of the tourists think that Bourbon Street is named after the whiskey.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Lafayette pronuciation

_ Ok, It's the offseason, Question: "How do You pronounce Lafayette"? Or should I ask, what is the proper way to pronounce it? there are two basic pronounciations The way I know. Laff-ee-yette. And the alternative Lah-fay-yette (which is how Stevie p pronounces it no offense stevie I guess it's just how you learned.I know we have name issues with the university, but lets get on the same page with the city name also. this might be a good "poll' question. _
    forget about steve. he can't pronounce the "h" in houston. either way is acceptable. the problem with the way people like stevie say it is if you're gonna give the first syllable the french "lof" pron., then finish it off with the rest of the french pron., "foyette." thus, the french "lofoyette" with the "o" sound as in "top." it has always been an anomaly that the anglicized version has become more prevalent even as we sell our frenchness to outsiders. it stems partly from our being made to feel inferior to the "americans" who invaded in the '50's and 60's. but that's a topic that's best left to barry ancelet.

Default Re: Lafayette pronunciation

It depends. the same person will pronounce it different ways, depending on who he is talking to, and of course, what language he is speaking.

LAH FIE YET with all syllables emphasized is the French and the Cajun pronunciation. The rest of the time, it's LAUGH ee yet. In Mississippi, it's la FAYE et County (faye rhymes with say), wherein lies Ole Miss.

As for New Orleans, the Creole language has long been gone, replaced by English spoken with Irish-German-Italian accents, the same immigrant groups that give New Yorkers their accents. Which is why New Orleans and New York accents are similar.

So most of the names in New Orleans are pretty much uglified.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Lafayette pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ It depends. the same person will pronounce it different ways, depending on who he is talking to, and of course, what language he is speaking.

LAH FIE YET with all syllables emphasized is the French and the Cajun pronunciation. The rest of the time, it's LAUGH ee yet. In Mississippi, it's la FAYE et County (faye rhymes with say), wherein lies Ole Miss.

As for New Orleans, the Creole language has long been gone, replaced by English spoken with Irish-German-Italian accents, the same immigrant groups that give New Yorkers their accents. Which is why New Orleans and New York accents are similar.

So most of the names in New Orleans are pretty much uglified. _
    You want uglified NO street names? Better start with the Muses.

ka-lie-oh-pee becomes cal-i-ope

And God only knows how they pronounce Terpsichore or Euturpe. Not to mention the other ones that I can't spell. lol They may be close on Erato, though.

14. Louisiana Re: Lafayette pronunciation

I say it Laff-ee-yette.

The way I see it, is that Laff-ee-yette is correcte because its spelled Lafayette. If it were to be pronounced Lah-fay-yette, it'd be spelled LaFayette like other places spell it. Laff-ee-yette is more laid back sounding, like more Cajun, than Lah-fay-yette. If that makes any sense.

I hate when people call it Lah-fay-ette.

Default Re: Lafayette pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ You want uglified NO street names? Better start with the Muses.

ka-lie-oh-pee becomes cal-i-ope

And God only knows how they pronounce Terpsichore or Euturpe. Not to mention the other ones that I can't spell. lol They may be close on Erato, though. _
    Funny thing is, a lot of people in NO and outside, think cal ee ope is the proper pronunciation.

When kah lye oh pee is closer to the correct (or rather, Classical) pronunciation, kah lee oh pay. terp see koh ray becomes terp sick core, and u terp ay becomes u terp.

Then, of course, there's Tchoupatoulas, Poydras and BurGUNdy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information