Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette pronunciation

Default Re: Lafayette pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Funny thing is, a lot of people in NO and outside, think cal ee ope is the proper pronunciation.

When kah lye oh pee is closer to the correct (or rather, Classical) pronunciation, kah lee oh pay. terp see koh ray becomes terp sick core, and u terp ay becomes u terp.

Then, of course, there's Tchoupatoulas, Poydras and BurGUNdy. _
    HAHA Tchoupatoulas that one gives outsiders A LOT of trouble. They always want to pronounce that T.

Default Re: Lafayette pronuciation

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ I've never figured out the real pronunciation of Chartres. whether it's char-ters, shar-tre's, or something else

I say shar-tres. Of course i'm not french so.

It's funny how NOLA has so much French their but they don't pronounce anything the way the french do. Like Trahan Richard, etc. _
    Or, for God sakes, Caliope, Burgundy, Iberville. I'm from there and I'm corrected by waiters when I use the correct pronunciation. When they insist on correcting me, I only ask if they went to public school in NO!!

Default Re: Who has dibs on Geaux

Trust me from my experiences of working in Baton Rouge, its hard for anyone with a country twang to even attempt Cajun French. Of course there will be cajun people in Baton Rougetransplants. It's a redneck town, it will always be a redneck town, no ______ing matter what they want to be. It's a cultural dead zone with gobs of money. Just a polished terd if you ask me. Time to flush.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCajun1003 View Post
    _ My guess would be that nobody "stole" the swamp name. I have a feeling both universities came up with it around the same time.

As far as the Geaux thing goes.its pretty dumb for LSU to claim ownership.

Ask a BR person where they are from and you'll hear something like "bat'n roosh". No French pronunciation at all.

How did these people come up with a French pronunciation of "Go" when they don't even pronounce the French name of their city in French?

That being said, it really doesn't bother me if they use "geaux". There isn't much stuff going on in BR. They are stuck between two major cultural areas in New Orleans and Lafayette. They need all the help they can get. _
    The irony is ask someone from Lafayette where they are from and they'll say "Laugh-a-yette"--no french pronounciation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Membertou View Post
    _ The irony is ask someone from Lafayette where they are from and they'll say "Laugh-a-yette"--no french pronounciation at all. _
    It comes from an English pronunciaton of a word with a Cajun French accent. Have you ever heard a European French accent? It's completely different from Cajun French accents. That why we pronounce it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooj_Cajun_Fan View Post
    _ I just came back from France. What I say is not ridiculous.

It's a different dialect. It's like saying that someone from England sounds the same as someone from America, they simply don't. Especially someone from the Yorkshire region of England, alot of those guys we would barely be able to understand.

The Cajun people were separated from France for hundreds of years. Over that time the dialect changed, words had to be invented, and pronunciations changed due to English and Spanish influences.among other things. _
    All of that is true enough, but it has nothing to do with why people from Lafayette pronounce the city's name as Laugh-a-yette. That short A sound does not exist in the French language--be it in France or Cankton. You're in way over your head here.

The irony is ask someone from Lafayette where they are from and they'll say "Laugh-a-yette"--no french pronounciation at all.
    And down here we pronounce it laugh-e-ette. And that comes directly from our Cajun French accent and language, which is different from the French you spoke in France.

igeaux.mobi

_ All of that is true enough, but it has nothing to do with why people from Lafayette pronounce the city's name as Laugh-a-yette. That short A sound does not exist in the French language--be it in France or Cankton. You're in way over your head here. _
    The way we pronounce Lafayette has absolutely nothing to do with what sounds are in the French language. However, it has everything to do with how our French language has translated over to English in the form of our Cajun English accent. Becuase the short A was not in the French language it is a bit different in our dialect, or accent, of English.

I've had a Cajun accent for a good while now. I'm not in "way" over my head. There's no reason to flex your muscles man. I'm just trying to have a discussion. No reason to try and be-little anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooj_Cajun_Fan View Post
    _ The way we pronounce Lafayette has absolutely nothing to do with what sounds are in the French language. However, it has everything to do with how our French language has translated over to English in the form of our Cajun English accent. Becuase the short A was not in the French language it is a bit different in our dialect, or accent, of English.

I've had a Cajun accent for a good while now. I'm not in "way" over my head. There's no reason to flex your muscles man. I'm just trying to have a discussion. No reason to try and be-little anyone else. _
    I grew up in rural north Lafayette Parish. French is my first language. My degree is in English. Lafayette pronounced "Laugh-a-yette" uses English, not French, not Cajun-English, but just plain old English phonetics. You're just plain wrong. There isn't anything wrong with the way we pronounce Lafayette, its the proper English way to pronounce it. I've just always found it ironic that most Americans pronounce the city's name using French phonetics, and the natives pronounce it using English phonetics. (an incidentally, in Cajun-French, Lafayette is pronounced exactly the same way its pronounced in Paris. The accent may be different, but the phonetics are identical.)

_ I grew up in rural north Lafayette Parish. French is my first language. My degree is in English. Lafayette pronounced "Laugh-a-yette" uses English, not French, not Cajun-English, but just plain old English phonetics. You're just plain wrong. There isn't anything wrong with the way we pronounce Lafayette, its the proper English way to pronounce it. I've just always found it ironic that most Americans pronounce the city's name using French phonetics, and the natives pronounce it using English phonetics. (an incidentally, in Cajun-French, Lafayette is pronounced exactly the same way its pronounced in Paris. The accent may be different, but the phonetics are identical.) _
    Congrats on your English degree, and congrats on speaking French you are the man.but chill dude.

Again, no reason to flex your muscles. No reason to talk down to anyone. I was just trying to have a discussion.

Sorry for jacking the thread everyone. I apologize.

_ All of that is true enough, but it has nothing to do with why people from Lafayette pronounce the city's name as Laugh-a-yette. That short A sound does not exist in the French language--be it in France or Cankton. You're in way over your head here. _
    Sure, the short a exists in French: gaz, pâte. Even 'Place de la Concorde'; supposedly Place has the 'ah' sound, but when I listen closely to the French it sounds to me like the the first 'a' in the American pronunciation of Lafayette. (Well, sometimes like the American pronunciation. Oxford MS is in Luh FAYE ut county.)

I think you guys are arguing about different things. Cajun pronunciations are different from 'hexagonal' pronunciations, as are Quebecois, Caribbean French, and African French pronunciations, and numerous others. Heck, I've visited with people from different parts of France, and even the regional dialects can be wild (I had a guy who kept talking about 'paguis', or so I thought; it was 'Paris').

Nevertheless, the Cajuns pronounce Lafayette very similarly to the French. sometimes. I've observed Cajuns changing the pronunciation depending on whether they're speaking French or English, and depending on to whom they are speaking.

Yall do realize that Lafayette is a City in multiple states of America right?
    Such as Indiana, Georgia, Colorado, just to name a few. I wonder how they pronounce it?

Quote Originally Posted by raginWaldo View Post
    _ Yall do realize that Lafayette is a City in multiple states of America right?
    Such as Indiana, Georgia, Colorado, just to name a few. I wonder how they pronounce it? _
    I work with a guy that went to Purdue in West Lafayette, Indiana. He pronounces it Laugh-eye-ette. I'm from Pont Breaux, I pronounce it Laugh-ee-ette. As in, "Shake dat laffy taffyooohhh" haha

in Oxford, we live in la-fay ette county the rednecks in the country say laafet

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Who has dibs on Geaux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Sure, the short a exists in French: gaz, pâte. Even 'Place de la Concorde'; supposedly Place has the 'ah' sound, but when I listen closely to the French it sounds to me like the the first 'a' in the American pronunciation of Lafayette. (Well, sometimes like the American pronunciation. Oxford MS is in Luh FAYE ut county.)

I think you guys are arguing about different things. Cajun pronunciations are different from 'hexagonal' pronunciations, as are Quebecois, Caribbean French, and African French pronunciations, and numerous others. Heck, I've visited with people from different parts of France, and even the regional dialects can be wild (I had a guy who kept talking about 'paguis', or so I thought; it was 'Paris').

Nevertheless, the Cajuns pronounce Lafayette very similarly to the French. sometimes. I've observed Cajuns changing the pronunciation depending on whether they're speaking French or English, and depending on to whom they are speaking. _
    Back to the Muses, Fun. the worst in New Orleans is Clio .

Pronounced by the locals as C L ten. [Street signs are all caps: hence CLIO]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information