Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Much Should We Cut Higher Education?

Default Re: How Much Should We Cut Higher Education?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan4ever View Post
    All the irrelevant bullcrap you are speaking and these colleges will still remain opened with your wishful thinking! In my job field of criminal justice, i work with many graduates from Grambling, Southern and from an HBCU in Mississippi but i forgot the name but i can honestly say they have intelligence and know their job so i don't feel their Universities are hampering them educationally! It's not their fault this this state is in poor shape! There are so many other things that could get cut to free up money, closing Universities isn't the answer! Shut down these Universities and see what would happen! Many people would easily just take their business elsewhere outside the state lines of Louisiana! That move would only created more problems that Louisiana can't take and doesn't need! Thank god CajunNation isn't the Governor, Louisiana would be in worse shape! It's people like you that keep Louisiana so far behind and stuck in the Dark Ages!
    First of all, settle down.

I am not picking on the HBCU's in Louisiana. There is a need for Southern-BR, and they do a nice job. I'm being completely fair here. There are schools in each system of higher ed in this state that need to be shut down. Nobody gets spared my axe.

I AM picking on wasteful, irresponsible spending, and I'm sorry, but one of the worst things this state has done that has lead to our continual crisis of funding is to foster the idea that every city thats wants a university should have one.

Some of the schools I mentioned have had more than enough time to prove that there is a place for them. Some of them should never have opened in the first place.

Either way, the needs served by each of these schools could be met other places in this state for a lot less money.

Look. We are not the Federal government. We can't print money. We HAVE to live within our means in the smartest way possible.

Closing schools won't make people leave this state. They have been doing that in droves for the better part of 3 decades. In fact, closing some schools would be the first sign in a loong time that we just might be serious about fixing Louisiana.

Bottomline: At the end of the day, there are far too many four year institutions in the state of Louisiana given its population. You obviously won't be able to please everyone, but some of these four year schools need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ Do we have much in the way of options as long as what can be cut and what can't remain the same? I know we have a lot of colleges for our population, but what makes anyone think that cutting the number of colleges will free up more money for those which remain? It may sound like a reasonable thought process, but I wouldn't bet money on it or on getting anything passed which makes the $$$$$ go to education.

And they are "legendary" as schools both state wise and nationally. Anything can be done, but the blood loss by the one doing it would be severe. _

Please explain their "legendary" status please

4. Default Re: How Much Should We Cut Higher Education?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan4ever View Post
    _ All the irrelevant bullcrap you are speaking and these colleges will still remain opened with your wishful thinking! In my job field of criminal justice, i work with many graduates from Grambling, Southern and from an HBCU in Mississippi but i forgot the name but i can honestly say they have intelligence and know their job so i don't feel their Universities are hampering them educationally! It's not their fault this this state is in poor shape! There are so many other things that could get cut to free up money, closing Universities isn't the answer! Shut down these Universities and see what would happen! Many people would easily just take their business elsewhere outside the state lines of Louisiana! That move would only created more problems that Louisiana can't take and doesn't need! Thank god CajunNation isn't the Governor, Louisiana would be in worse shape! It's people like you that keep Louisiana so far behind and stuck in the Dark Ages! _ Question---How do these alumni compare to the alumni of our other Universities?????? Ergo you say that they would not have gotten a better education at our other state universities ---I think that post graduate tests prove that are in the lower part of test results!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Please explain their "legendary" status please _
    How tough do you think it might have been a 100+ yrs ago in Louisiana to open a college whose principal mission was the education of black Americans? To keep that college open during the depression, two world wars, and the frustrations of the 60ies and 70ies? To a large segment of our population in Louisiana, I have to think both schools hold legendary status in their minds.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but that's where I am coming from with my comment you questioned.

How tough do you think it might have been a 100+ yrs ago in Louisiana to open a college whose principal mission was the education of black Americans? To keep that college open during the depression, two world wars, and the frustrations of the 60ies and 70ies? To a large segment of our population in Louisiana, I have to think both schools hold legendary status in their minds.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but that's where I am coming from with my comment you questioned. _
    No, you are not wrong.

_ How tough do you think it might have been a 100+ yrs ago in Louisiana to open a college whose principal mission was the education of black Americans? To keep that college open during the depression, two world wars, and the frustrations of the 60ies and 70ies? To a large segment of our population in Louisiana, I have to think both schools hold legendary status in their minds.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but that's where I am coming from with my comment you questioned. _

Whoa, do not bring in the civil rights argument here buddy. We are not going there. You speak of "legendary" status, I am simply questioning this perception. You may also see in one of my posts that I also said cutting these institutions provide a great service to the state and I am not in favor of the proposed cuts. I am simply stating that their academic and sports pedigree is NOT of legendary status and I believe it is hard for you to prove me wrong. This discussion neither began and should end with any civil rights comparisons made to the other institutions in this state. All of them faced many of the same roadblocks when trying to fight the civil rights cause back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ No, you are not wrong. _

He is wrong because the education of the african american populace of this state was NEVER questioned nor marginalized. It is his reaction and his justification for his argument which is not paralleled to my original posts.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Whoa, do not bring in the civil rights argument here buddy. We are not going there. You speak of "legendary" status, I am simply questioning this perception. You may also see in one of my posts that I also said cutting these institutions provide a great service to the state and I am not in favor of the proposed cuts. I am simply stating that their academic and sports pedigree is NOT of legendary status and I believe it is hard for you to prove me wrong. This discussion neither began and should end with any civil rights comparisons made to the other institutions in this state. All of them faced many of the same roadblocks when trying to fight the civil rights cause back in the day. _
    You asked the question: "Please explain their "legendary" status please"

I did and now you say explain it to me but don't go where I don't want you to go. Does that approach to tunneling the discussion in the direction you wish it to go work for you very often?

I explained my point. If you don't agree, that's ok. I have a wife and two daughters.I am totally accustom to people disagreeing with me.

_ If you don't agree, that's ok. I have a wife and two daughters.I am totally accustom to people disagreeing with me. _
    You poor guy! Sounds like waaaay too much estrogen in your environment.

_ You asked the question: "Please explain their "legendary" status please"

I did and now you say explain it to me but don't go where I don't want you to go. Does that approach to tunneling the discussion in the direction you wish it to go work for you very often?

I explained my point. If you don't agree, that's ok. I have a wife and two daughters.I am totally accustom to people disagreeing with me. _
    I'm not tunneling any discussion anywhere. You have taken a statement made by a previous poster focused on athletics and to a smaller degree education, and turned it into a civil rights punchline. If that is the last branch you have to stand on before you fall, have fun on the way down. You explained nothing about where you can justify the words "legendary" and these two universities. Is it accomplishments they've made in academics or athletics? I think every school in Louisiana over the years accomplished major feats by integrating their education focus. Heck, UL fought the fight back in the 60's when schools wouldn't play us because we had african american players.

I don't disagree with your point because truly there wasn't one made.

12. Default Re: How Much Should We Cut Higher Education?

"Legendary Nationally" could only mean 1 thing for Southern and 2 things for Grambling.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ "Legendary Nationally" could only mean 1 thing for Southern and 2 things for Grambling.

igeaux.mobi _

And those would be?

I explained my point. If you don't agree, that's ok. I have a wife and two daughters.I am totally accustom to people disagreeing with me. _
    Now, that I can agree with. lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information