UL - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns golfer Kyle Pritchard shot back-to-back rounds below par to qualify for the US Amateur Public Links to be held on July 13-18 at the Jimmie Austin Golf Course at the University of Oklahoma. The US Amateur Public Links is open to all amateurs who qualify who are not a part of private golf clubs.

Pritchard shot back-to-back rounds of one-under par 70 to claim first place in the US Amateur Public Links Sectional Qualifier at Pecan Valley Golf Course in San Antonio, Texas. The top two finishers in the field of nearly 50 golfers advanced to the US Amateur Public Links in Norman, Okla.

“I am really excited,” Pritchard stated of his opportunity to play in the Public Links. “I felt like I was hitting the ball well and it was amazing to go out there and earn a spot in the tournament. Hopefully, I can continue my hot play once I get to Oklahoma.”

Pritchard, a 2009 All-Sun Belt Conference golfer, will compete in the event on July 13-18. The winner of the US Amateur Public Links will earn an automatic spot in The Masters in Augusta, Ga.

Cajuns’ Golf Update
Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year Philipp Fendt continued his hot play by medaling in the Startzeiten Golf Tournament in Austria (the equivalent of a state amateur tournament). Fendt was the only golfer to shoot under par finishing the event seven under en route to the Sicherheitstechnik Golf Trophy. The UL golfer posted rounds of 66-69-71-67 to finish seven strokes ahead of the second place finisher.

“I am very happy at the moment,” Fendt exclaimed. “I played very well. It was a great satisfaction to beat all the National Team players. I am now taking a week off and then I will be playing in the National Open in two weeks.”

Former UL golfer Greg Sonnier (1996-99) led a trio of Ragin’ Cajuns alumni at the 2009 Merrill Lynch Mid-Season Championship. Sonnier finished the tournament in a tie for 17th at 15 under par (68-71-68-66—273). Fellow Cajuns Michael Smith (2005-08) and B.C. Thibeaux, III (2005-08) both failed to make the cut, finishing the tournament at -2 and -4, respectively.

UL SI
Chris Whitehead