Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Questions concerning the 2009 football team

UL Football Questions concerning the 2009 football team

How many starters are returning on offense?
    How many starters are returning on defense?
    Who will be the biggest playmaker on offense?
    Who will be the biggest playmaker on defense?
    Which incoming freshman/juco transfer is most likely to have the biggest impact?
    Will UL be able to compete with Troy?
    From a record standpoint, what is the best case scenario?

I'm looking forward to ya'll visiting Baton Rouge on Sept 19th. I fully expect ya'll to beat Southern (and I mean beat them badly) and I'd love to see ya'll knock off K-State before coming to Baton Rouge. Also, I recently bought my first UL shirt which bumped my collection to two! (first one was a gift)

Default Re: Questions concerning the 2009 football team

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ How many starters are returning on offense?
    Which incoming freshman/juco transfer is most likely to have the biggest impact?

I'm looking forward to UL's visit to Baton Rouge on Sept 19th. I fully expect ya'll to beat Southern (and I mean beat them badly) and I'd love to see ya'll knock off K-State before coming to Baton Rouge. _

I think we have seven starters returning on offense (including entire offensive line) and eight on defense. Defense will have more who started at times due to all the linebacker injuries we had. Person I expect to be a major playmaker on offense is slot TE LaDarius Green. I believe he caught 5 TD passes as a pure freshman in 2008. His height makes him tough to defend on the fade pattern in the red zone. Person I expect to be the major defensive playmaker is LB Antoine Zanders. Zanders has a chance to be drafted in the late to middle rounds as he has a lot of speed and can really hit. There are two newcomers I believe will make an impact. One is RB Rob Walker from Mamou and the other is DT Brandon McCray from Alabama. JUCO WR Rico Joseph also showed potential in the spring game. I don't make predictions record wise because I jinx the team if I indicate they will do well. As far as Troy goes, the game is here this year and we can beat them IF the breaks go our way. Last year they ran away from us in the 2nd half. However, the game was still competitive at half (17 to 3) last year in a contest which we were still hurting at LB and Desormeaux was very limited. I do think they would still beat us more than we would beat them if 10 games were played on a neutral field.

UL Football Re: Questions concerning the 2009 football team

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ I think we have seven starters returning on offense (including entire offensive line) and eight on defense. Defense will have more who started at times due to all the linebacker injuries we had. Person I expect to be a major playmaker on offense is slot TE LaDarius Green. I believe he caught 5 TD passes as a pure freshman in 2008. His height makes him tough to defend on the fade pattern in the red zone. Person I expect to be the major defensive playmaker is LB Antoine Zanders. Zanders has a chance to be drafted in the late to middle rounds as he has a lot of speed and can really hit. There are two newcomers I believe will make an impact. One is RB Rob Walker from Mamou and the other is DT Brandon McCray from Alabama. JUCO WR Rico Joseph also showed potential in the spring game. I don't make predictions record wise because I jinx the team if I indicate they will do well. As far as Troy goes, the game is here this year and we can beat them IF the breaks go our way. Last year they ran away from us in the 2nd half. However, the game was still competitive at half (17 to 3) last year in a contest which we were still hurting at LB and Desormeaux was very limited. I do think they would still beat us more than we would beat them if 10 games were played on a neutral field. _
    UL obviously lost quite a bit of production on offense but it sounds like there is potential at QB (especially from a passing perspective). Who is expected to pick up Fenroy's slack? It sounds as if the defense may be primed to have a breakout season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like its been quite a while since UL had a really good defense? Also, thanks for the feedback.

_ UL obviously lost quite a bit of production on offense but it sounds like there is potential at QB (especially from a passing perspective). Who is expected to pick up Fenroy's slack? It sounds as if the defense may be primed to have a breakout season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like its been quite a while since UL had a really good defense? Also, thanks for the feedback. _
    You are not wrong when you say it has been a while since the Cajuns have fielded a strong defensive team. Defense played OK in 2005 which is the year they shared the conference championship. McGuire at QB will have a big responsibility and we are hoping the sports hernia surgery he just had allows him to play at a much higher level. Personally, I expect Rob Walker to be a good back but I don't expect him to replace Fenroy immediately as he will be a pure freshman. In the spring game, the most consistent back we had was a JUCO transfer who played well in 2008 before getting injured. I can't remember his name now

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Questions concerning the 2009 football team

_ UL obviously lost quite a bit of production on offense but it sounds like there is potential at QB (especially from a passing perspective). Who is expected to pick up Fenroy's slack? It sounds as if the defense may be primed to have a breakout season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like its been quite a while since UL had a really good defense? Also, thanks for the feedback. _
    I see the rushing will be done by committee. Undre Sails will get most of the carries with Shankle, Booker, Walker X 2 sharing most of the other carries. I know I missed a RB in the mix.

1996 comes to mind on our last "decent" defensive team. That was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ I see the rushing will be done by committee. Undre Sails will get most of the carries with Shankle, Booker, Walker X 2 sharing most of the other carries. I know I missed a RB in the mix.

1996 comes to mind on our last "decent" defensive team. That was a long time ago. _
    1996 was Jake Delhomme's senior year. After getting seven turnovers against A&M, the defense struggled most of that year. Of course the schedule was extremely challenging that season. The defense in 1995 had better stats. Undre Sails was the name of the JC running back who appeared to win the starting job in spring drills.

_ How many starters are returning on offense?

I'm looking forward to ya'll visiting Baton Rouge on Sept 19th. I fully expect ya'll to beat Southern (and I mean beat them badly) and I'd love to see ya'll knock off K-State before coming to Baton Rouge. Also, I recently bought my first UL shirt which bumped my collection to two! (first one was a gift) _
    We have 8 returning starter on Offense and 9 on D. We only lost Keyes and Coleman on D. I do not count Scooter Rogers as a starter because Bentley started just about every game instead of Scooter.

In terms of playmakers, that is one of the big questionmarks for this team. I'd have to say that Ladarius Green will be one and you will have to get consistent production from guys like Louis Lee and Marlin Miller as well. Freshman Robert Walker is one that I'm thinking can make an impact right away, not to the extent of Fenroy his freshman year but I think he can make big plays. Playmaker on D, I'd have to go with Fleming. If he and Brooks' are healthy, I think this D will be a lot better and play like they did against Illinois. I like Zanders also but Fleming plays the pass very well and also gets to the QB and stops the run. I also think our CB's are very underrated. The questionmark on D is the D-line. They have the size but they need to develop the skills to get to the quarterback. We've created very few sacks over the past few years and they need to get in the backfield. This will help also in the Run D game. If they can keep the O-linemen off of our LB's and let their athelticism take over, this D can be the surprise of the SBC.

I believe that either Robert Walker, Javone Lawson or Brandon McCray will have the biggest impact as a freshman. I think that Lawson can be what we need and he can contribute right away if he gets the offense. McCray is huge for a freshman and can help Derrick Dean anchor the D-line but I think they may redshirt him also.

Can we compete with Troy? Yeah, but I'd give the edge to Troy to win and take conference. They lost some D personnel but have the best D-line in the league and best linebackers with Bear Woods and Boris Lee. Brandon Laing is a future pro player and possibly defensive POY on their line. They have playmakers all over the field on offense. They will be the favorite with ASU a close second.

I think a 7 win season is the best case scenario. I thought that possibly 8 wins before we got KSU at home. That game is winnable but it will be our second game with such a young offense. Truly, I think that 5 wins is going to be the likely result but I definitely think they can do better.

Diamond in the rough? Blaine Gautier. That' s right, I'm starting that talk up again. I predict him to be starting by week 6-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ 1996 was Jake Delhomme's senior year. After getting seven turnovers against A&M, the defense struggled most of that year. Of course the schedule was extremely challenging that season. The defense in 1995 had better stats. Undre Sails was the name of the JC running back who appeared to win the starting job in spring drills. _

Correct, Sails was named the starter going into the fall but that may change a bit during fall. The job is Yobes' if he can get an understanding of the pass blocking schemes we have. He has the most physical potential of the guys currently on the team. The running game will likely go by committee this year and I hope they can all chip in and produce. Limiting TO's is also key. This team has done a good job over the past few years of limiting TO's and one big reason was Fenroy. He rarely fumbled or missed a blocking assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _
    I think a 7 win season is the best case scenario. I thought that possibly 8 wins before we got KSU at home. That game is winnable but it will be our second game with such a young offense. Truly, I think that 5 wins is going to be the likely result but I definitely think they can do better.

After reading up on UL and a few of their opponents, I agree that 7-5 is probably the best case scenario. You guys have two tough home games with KSU and Troy and playing six road games is brutal. I don't see UL finishing worse than 5-7 and 6-6 is a strong possibility. Beating Southern is a MUST and I don't suspect you guys will have any problem doing so.

_ After reading up on UL and a few of their opponents, I agree that 7-5 is probably the best case scenario. You guys have two tough home games with KSU and Troy and playing six road games is brutal. I don't see UL finishing worse than 5-7 and 6-6 is a strong possibility. Beating Southern is a MUST and I don't suspect you guys will have any problem doing so. _
    Well, if we don't beat Southern, we won't have a winning record and Bustle will likely be on his way out. But make no mistake about it, Southern will come in primed to give us their best shot and the house will be packed. I've already spoken to some Jag alums and they will be here in force, so we better be ready to bring it (both on the field and in the stands).

I think we can possibly win 8 or 9 games, but everything will have to fall into place for that to happen which is not likely to occur (especially given our track record of normally under-performing over the course of a season). I agree that 6 or 7 wins seems to be about right for this year's highwater mark.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Well, if we don't beat Southern, we won't have a winning record and Bustle will likely be on his way out. But make no mistake about it, Southern will come in primed to give us their best shot and the house will be packed. I've already spoken to some Jag alums and they will be here in force, so we better be ready to bring it (both on the field and in the stands).

I think we can possibly win 8 or 9 games, but everything will have to fall into place for that to happen which is not likely to occur (especially given our track record of normally under-performing over the course of a season). I agree that 6 or 7 wins seems to be about right for this year's highwater mark. _

I hope you are correct about the attendance. Like I stated earlier, I watched one of their home games from last year and it looked like they grouped EVERYBODY who actually went to the game into one small section so they could get the same crowd shot every time. It didn't look like they had a large crowd by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ I see the rushing will be done by committee. Undre Sails will get most of the carries with Shankle, Booker, Walker X 2 sharing most of the other carries. I know I missed a RB in the mix.

1996 comes to mind on our last "decent" defensive team. That was a long time ago. _
    Beau, I saw some decent defense at times last season especially before we started losing a lot of defensive guys. Maybe the stats don't show it but I saw it.

Look at the Illinois game. They got 17 points with 7 coming on the TD their LB got after stripping the ball from Dez. Illinois had that big time QB.

The Cajun D stopped K State when we really needed it only to have the refs make questionable calls in the 4th quarter that allowed KS to retain possession and seal the win.

In the first half against Monroe the Hoax was forced to settle for 3 FGs after not getting TDs. The ULM defense scored one of their TDs in the second half.

Later in the season the Cajun D played well against ASU, FIU and MT.

The 2 games I look at where a healthy D might have allowed us to pull out wins were the UTEP and FAU games.

IMO, the key this season for our defense is staying reasonably healthy and improved play by the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Beau, I saw some decent defense at times last season especially before we started losing a lot of defensive guys. Maybe the stats don't show it but I saw it.

Look at the Illinois game. They got 17 points with 7 coming on the TD their LB got after stripping the ball from Dez. Illinois had that big time QB.

The Cajun D stopped K State when we really needed it only to have the refs make questionable calls in the 4th quarter that allowed KS to retain possession and seal the win.

In the first half against Monroe the Hoax was forced to settle for 3 FGs after not getting TDs. The ULM defense scored one of their TDs in the second half.

Later in the season the Cajun D played well against ASU, FIU and MT.

The 2 games I look at where a healthy D might have allowed us to pull out wins were the UTEP and FAU games.

IMO, the key this season for our defense is staying reasonably healthy and improved play by the DL. _

Exactly. This was my case against the critics after last year ended. This D was making huge strides before all of the injuries. It also didn't help that they were on the field so much after our offense was scoring in quick spurts during that stretch. This D is not a shutdown D so they will give up yards and points sooner or later, but they can be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    This D is not a shutdown D so they will give up yards and points sooner or later, but they can be effective. _

I doubt we will ever have a "shut down" defense.

First, this where our offense must not put our defense in terrible situations.

Second, assuming we are not crippled again, our defense cannot blow coverage assignments, fail to make tackles when we have people wrapped up and we must force turnovers.

In other words - make plays (like McCoy did against ASU).

In terms of manpower the DL is where I'll be looking for the most improvement.

Everytime I have predicted big things for this football team they have fallen on their face.with that said I just don't see where we will be better than last year. I felt that way before the Spring game and after the Spring game I came to the conclusion that this is not going to be a very good team. I could be wrong and I would love to be but just don't see it happening.

Southern will be a win but I am not tat sure about any other game. 4-8 is what I predict but I really hope I am wrong and if we finish 6-6 I am willing to bet we will still have the same coach in 2010.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information