Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robichaux reflects on '09 run ( Part II )

1. UL Baseball Robichaux reflects on '09 run ( Part II )

Robichaux talks about recruiting, amateur draft and schedule

Once UL's baseball season ended last weekend, coach Tony Robichaux, his coaching staff and his players began preparation for next year.

Numerous Cajun players have committed to play summer ball across the country. Others will stay on campus for summer school or to rehab injuries. The coaches hope to finalize UL's incoming recruiting class by adding a few more prospects this week.

In the second of a three-part series, Robichaux recently sat down with The Daily Advertiser and talked about recruiting, next season and his coaching future.

Question: Since the season ended, you've finished up exit interviews with your players. The only underclassman definitely not coming back is third baseman Tyler Benzel, a part-time starter who is transferring to an NCAA Division II school closer to home in Florida. With the other parts coming back, what needs to happen for the team to take a step forward in 2010?

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • May 31, 2009

Default Re: Robichaux reflects on '09 run ( Part II )

"A: We'll get to that point after he graduates in 2011. If he stays on the path he is on now, he'll be good enough to play at the NCAA Division I level. I will coach him. I don't know where, but I will coach him."

Am I reading to deep into this?

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ "A: We'll get to that point after he graduates in 2011. If he stays on the path he is on now, he'll be good enough to play at the NCAA Division I level. I will coach him. I don't know where, but I will coach him."

Am I reading to deep into this? _
    Not at all I just finished reading the article and came on here to see if anyone else read it.

I wonder if at long last he is getting fed up with this administration. which to me is Dr. A redoux. We heard all about the big money guy ready to invest in stadium upgrades and perhaps a new stadium. Now we hear softball goes first. and we will get some field improvements and perhaps some eye candy (my term) done to the stadium. Go around college baseball now and you will see the stark difference between stadiums and the Teague I love the Teague and love the atmosphere. but it is falling WAY behind other stadiums and recruits can only go by what they see

will anybody EVER wake up. Robe and the Lotiefs are the only upper level talents we have in the Athletic Department. and it sounds like Robe is getting enough

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ "A: We'll get to that point after he graduates in 2011. If he stays on the path he is on now, he'll be good enough to play at the NCAA Division I level. I will coach him. I don't know where, but I will coach him."

Am I reading to deep into this? _
    Nope! some people on this message board better watch what they ask for. Ive seen this many times before but at the high school level. people always are at the head coaches throat, and sooner or later they have to make a descision that is in the best intrest of them and there family, and guess whatthey leave. I am a business man and my philosophy about hiring and firing has always beenYou better be able to hire someone that is more qualified and will do more than the guy you are firing! Be careful what you ask for, you may not like what you get!!! i dont know that this is the case in this instance, but.be careful

We need to extend Coach Robe's contract. I don't want to see who our administration would bring in if he left.

I've followed this thread since it began. I can't find ONE post where someone asked for or suggested that Coach Robe be fired. Many have voiced concern and frustration over 2 poor years in a row. A couple have pointed out the fact that we are barely competitive (conference title wise) in the SBC lately.

I think many want better. and I think most feel Coach Robe is the coach to do it. It just needs to begin happening.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    _ Nope! some people on this message board better watch what they ask for. Ive seen this many times before but at the high school level. people always are at the head coaches throat, and sooner or later they have to make a descision that is in the best intrest of them and there family, and guess whatthey leave. I am a business man and my philosophy about hiring and firing has always beenYou better be able to hire someone that is more qualified and will do more than the guy you are firing! Be careful what you ask for, you may not like what you get!!! i dont know that this is the case in this instance, but.be careful _
    Amen!

When you can name a guy that.

Is a better coach than Robichaux. A man who is easily one of the top 30 or 40 coaches in the country.

Is willing to be paid significantly less that he would at most other schools.

Is willing to coach an underfunded program with aging facilities.

.then it would make sense to start talking about a coaching change.

I think Robichaux is a victim of his own success. He brought up a mediocre program to a standard that a Sun Belt team simply can't match year in and year out. If he hadn't coached here this might have been considered a decent year for the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ Amen!

When you can name a guy that.

Is a better coach than Robichaux. A man who is easily one of the top 30 or 40 coaches in the country.

Is willing to be paid significantly less that he would at most other schools.

Is willing to coach an underfunded program with aging facilities.

.then it would make sense to start talking about a coaching change.

I think Robichaux is a victim of his own success. He brought up a mediocre program to a standard that a Sun Belt team simply can't match year in and year out. If he hadn't coached here this might have been considered a decent year for the Cajuns. _
    Sorry. but I must correct you on one statement. Robe did NOT inherit a "mediocre" program.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ He brought up a mediocre program to a standard that a Sun Belt team simply can't match year in and year out. _

Is this an accurate statement?

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Is this an accurate statement? _
    From what I know it is a an accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ From what I know it is a an accurate statement. _
    Thanks. I know UL has had some very strong teams but I'm not all that familiar with the rest of the SBC. Also, I didn't follow UL in the pre-Robichaux days.

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Thanks. I know UL has had some very strong teams but I'm not all that familiar with the rest of the SBC. Also, I didn't follow UL in the pre-Robichaux days. _
    Don't get me wrong they weren't college world series type of team but they weren't bad teams. BUT from what I know things might not have been done the right way. Other people would be better at answering this though. i was to young to know anything.

_ From what I know it is a an accurate statement. _
    No, it is not.

Don't get me wrong they weren't college world series type of team but they weren't bad teams. BUT from what I know things might not have been done the right way. Other people would be better at answering this though. i was to young to know anything.
    That is pretty close. We were a respectable team prior to Robe's arrival. However he did arrive under poor circumstances. Mike Boulanger had gotten the Cajuns to a few regionals and one game short of the CWS but he also had some issues regarding how money was being handled & distributed along with a few other issues. Bottom line is that he left Lafayette in the middle of the night without saying good-bye and the NCAA basically gave him the coaching death penalty by stating that any NCAA institution that wished to hire him needed to show justification and reason to hire.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ No, it is not. _
    Yes it is

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information