Thread: Athlete: Jimmy Yongue Gymnastics Hall of Famer

1. People Athlete: Jimmy Yongue Gymnastics Hall of Famer

The complete 67-68 gymnastics team was comprised of Ed Callender, Jim Yongue, Judi Ford, Sparkey Busey, and Don Waters. The team was coached by Jeff Hennessy

Default Re: Athlete: 1967-68 Judi Ford

Does anyone remember the USL basketball game half-time shows by the trampoline team? They were spectacular and the team had world champions on it, I believe Jimmy Yongue and Don Waters. Coach Hennessey was also coach of the USA team. In fact, his daughter, Leigh, became a world champion and is now one of the leading stunt doubles in Hollywood.

Back then, as a student at USL, we were treated to one of the top basketball teams in the country with Lamar, Ebron, Flake, Saunders, Fogle, etc. and world class trampolinists. We used to go to Blackham at 5:00 to get seats for a 7:00 or 7:30 game. Those were great times with great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun
    _ Does anyone remember the USL basketball game half-time shows by the trampoline team? They were spectacular and the team had world champions on it, I believe Jimmy Yongue and Don Waters. Coach Hennessey was also coach of the USA team. In fact, his daughter, Leigh, became a world champion and is now one of the leading stunt doubles in Hollywood.

Back then, as a student at USL, we were treated to one of the top basketball teams in the country with Lamar, Ebron, Flake, Saunders, Fogle, etc. and world class trampolinists. We used to go to Blackham at 5:00 to get seats for a 7:00 or 7:30 game. Those were great times with great memories. _
    Don Waters was my neighbor in Lafayette, and his brother Kenny, Don and others would pile into Kenny's car to go to Lafayette High. I remember he started with inner tubes from airplaned and would do flips in his back yard as a youngster.

Jeff Hennessey trained many National and World Champion Trampolinists: Don Waters: Newton Elberson: Jim Youngue; and as far back as Frankie Schmidts. Schmidts went to Southern Illinois in the 60's and was a champion tumber as well. I know I'm leaving out several others. There was a guy from the old Cathedral High School who was great on the trampoline also. His first name was Wayne. Can't remember his last name.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog
    _ Jeff Hennessey trained many National and World Champion Trampolinists: Don Waters: Newton Elberson: Jim Youngue; and as far back as Frankie Schmidts. Schmidts went to Southern Illinois in the 60's and was a champion tumber as well. I know I'm leaving out several others. There was a guy from the old Cathedral High School who was great on the trampoline also. His first name was Wayne. Can't remember his last name. _
    You're thinking of Wayne Miller. Like Leigh Hennessy, Jim Yongue, Ron Merriott, Stuart Ransom, Don Waters, and Gary Smith, Wayne Miller was a world champion while at USL. Ron Merriott also won a bronze medal in diving at the 1984 Olympic Games, and Leigh Hennessy is an accomplished actress and stunt woman in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by mrobson
    _ You're thinking of Wayne Miller. Like Leigh Hennessy, Jim Yongue, Ron Merriott, Stuart Ransom, Don Waters, and Gary Smith, Wayne Miller was a world champion while at USL. Ron Merriott also won a bronze medal in diving at the 1984 Olympic Games, and Leigh Hennessy is an accomplished actress and stunt woman in Hollywood. _
    Don Waters died of a heart attack a couple of years ago. I renewed acquaintances with Kenny last year and he informed me of that.

6. Default Re: Notable UL Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ The Youngue kid from Breaux Bridge was one.

And, Jeff Hennessey's daughter Leigh who is now a Hollywood stunt woman.
    I didn't look before posting but I think she has a website. _
    His biggest achievement was dating Judy Ford-----She was Miss America for more reasons then just jumping on a tramp which I loved to see her do!!!!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    His biggest achievement was dating Judy Ford
    ooOh LA La'
    igeaux.mobi

8. Default Re: Athlete: Jimmy Yongue

Jimmy Yongue to be inducted in the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame

The rest of the story on video

Default Re: Athlete: Jimmy Yongue

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ Jimmy Yongue to be inducted in the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame

The rest of the story on video _

Jim Yongue is my uncle. Unfortunately I never got a chance to see him jump but it's nice to hear the stories.

A little over a year ago he was involved in a serious car accident that crushed his ankles and legs. He had some out of town guests and they were on their way to Festival International when a car swerved and hit him head on. He had spent many months unable to walk and still can't walk very far. As active as he used to be it really kills him to be in a wheelchair.

He is a great guy and truly deserves this honor.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ Jim Yongue is my uncle. Unfortunately I never got a chance to see him jump but it's nice to hear the stories.

A little over a year ago he was involved in a serious car accident that crushed his ankles and legs. He had some out of town guests and they were on their way to Festival International when a car swerved and hit him head on. He had spent many months unable to walk and still can't walk very far. As active as he used to be it really kills him to be in a wheelchair.

He is a great guy and truly deserves this honor. _
    Are both of you in Breaux Bridge?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Athlete: Jimmy Yongue

_ Jim Yongue is my uncle. Unfortunately I never got a chance to see him jump but it's nice to hear the stories.

He is a great guy and truly deserves this honor. _
    remember that tragic accident very well. remember your uncle and the hennessys very well. the driver of the other vehicle was an administrator at a local high school. the whole incident and the aftermath were just horrible. i wish your uncle the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Are both of you in Breaux Bridge? _

He still is. I just made the jump to Lafayette.

He still is. I just made the jump to Lafayette. _
    My old friend and fellow mischief maker PoJo Morvant is in a wheelchair too. Do you know him?

14. Default UL's Yongue enters Gymnastics Hall of Fame

Yongue enters Gymnastics Hall of Fame

The rest of the story

Thread Information