Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

But the Teague isnt a homer friendly place, even in UL's best years, we dont have crazy home run numbers. Our success has and will lie in defense, ability to manufacture runs and BULLPEN.

These are the 3 things that all of our good teams of the past have had. Dont fall in love with the bomb if you dont have a field that caters to it.

2. Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Thats why I said at least the "threat" of the long ball.
    Especially on the road. HR's are game savers. They play a key role in a long season. It's exciting, makes up for errors, and gives a team and a crowd an extra jolt. Even though Hawk didn't hit 20 bombs, we're going to miss his presence, as far as the home fun aspect is concerned. Les Smith is not a power hitter. He's a complete, pure, lefty hitter. He has the ability to go long, but it won't be his M.O.

I hope Smith's shoulder comes out ok. He is the prototypical Tigue outfielder who will hit for average and slugging % and can run a little. I hope Bowman's hip comes out OK. Same type player potentially.

well technically Lucroy wasnt a home run hitter either.

Let's not worry about getting the big power guys. They get drafted or go to the SEC. Let's build a team around our park and go from there. (the last 2 SBC championship teams are good examples of this)

5. Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ well technically Lucroy wasnt a home run hitter either.

Let's not worry about getting the big power guys. They get drafted or go to the SEC. Let's build a team around our park and go from there. (the last 2 SBC championship teams are good examples of this) _
    I agree 100%. I don't want the Cajuns to endorse Gorilla Ball by any means. I'm just saying that you need someone in the lineup to strike fear into opposing pitchers.

This is what pitchers fear. They fear getting stuck in a 5 run inning with only 1 earned run. They really fear a line up with no holes, a bunch of guys with .340 averages who hit good pitches. Decent pitchers can work around one baller in a weak line up. Hawkins got worked alot.

Yeah I hear ya, and yeah its nice to have guys like that and we get them every now and then, but speed guys who can create shananigans on the base paths and can get themselves into scoring position takes pressure off hitters.

I loved the way A&M played in 07. Everyone in their lineup could lay down a drag at any time and that puts a ton of pressure and fear on a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ I'd like to see a lot more small ball next year anyway. The Tigue is a graveyard, playing for the homerun in that park is not a strategy.

We have guys who can run, but we don't steal bases at all. bunts for base hits, hit and runs, steals and putting pressure on the defense is the best option for the kind of lineup we will put on the field next year _
    Have to respectfully disagree. We do run and have run a lot in the past. However, we did not have the speed this year that we have had in the past. I saw a lot of base running errors this year also. Also, small ball is dead in the college game, at least the way we used to use it. One of the reasons we are so ineffective at it is becuase our guys don't execute the bunt. I would much rather see a hit and run 80%, or more of the time, and the ocassional sacrifice when absolutely needed.

Just my opinion though.

9. Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    _ This is what pitchers fear. They fear getting stuck in a 5 run inning with only 1 earned run. They really fear a line up with no holes, a bunch of guys with .340 averages who hit good pitches. Decent pitchers can work around one baller in a weak line up. _
    You have GOT to have a couple of guys, that can make pitchers pay for mistakes, by putting the ball over the fence. I solid hitter who can put the ball in play can get a two out, two on hit. But if someone hits a homer in that spot, the situation goes from bad to devastating It's a momentum grabber, and a game changer. It doesn't have to be a constant, and we should never RELY on it, but it's got to be an element to a productive lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ You have GOT to have a couple of guys, that can make pitchers pay for mistakes, by putting the ball over the fence. I solid hitter who can put the ball in play can get a two out, two on hit. But if someone hits a homer in that spot, the situation goes from bad to devastating It's a momentum grabber, and a game changer. It doesn't have to be a constant, and we should never RELY on it, but it's got to be an element to a productive lineup. _
    I agree 100%
    You hang em', we bang em'

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ You have GOT to have a couple of guys, that can make pitchers pay for mistakes, by putting the ball over the fence. I solid hitter who can put the ball in play can get a two out, two on hit. But if someone hits a homer in that spot, the situation goes from bad to devastating It's a momentum grabber, and a game changer. It doesn't have to be a constant, and we should never RELY on it, but it's got to be an element to a productive lineup. _
    I agree. Some power is better than no power. Smith will hit bombs, probably more on the road though. Home runs come when there are less holes in the line up, when they can't pitch around your middle line up guys because your 6, 7 and 8 hole guys can hit too. That hasn't been the case lately though. We need more conssistency in the line-up. Hawkins was a great hitter, but he can't do it alone, as we saw. Hopefully he can continue this summer with wood bats.

_ I agree. Some power is better than no power. Smith will hit bombs, probably more on the road though. Home runs come when there are less holes in the line up, when they can't pitch around your middle line up guys because your 6, 7 and 8 hole guys can hit too. That hasn't been the case lately though. We need more conssistency in the line-up. Hawkins was a great hitter, but he can't do it alone, as we saw. Hopefully he can continue this summer with wood bats. _
    Whoa, "Great" is an overstatement. He was "good" when Lucroy was hitting in front of him and Tatford was hitting behind him. He is by no means great, with all due respect to Mr. Hawkins

_ I agree. Some power is better than no power. Smith will hit bombs, probably more on the road though. Home runs come when there are less holes in the line up, when they can't pitch around your middle line up guys because your 6, 7 and 8 hole guys can hit too. That hasn't been the case lately though. We need more conssistency in the line-up. Hawkins was a great hitter, but he can't do it alone, as we saw. Hopefully he can continue this summer with wood bats. _
    This is why Griffen is soooo important. We need for him to come around on his hitting. With the kind of raw power that he possesses in the lineup, we can do more things.

Choose your own adjective. That's fine. We'll agree I'm sure 400 foot moon shots are not easy to do. You illustrate the value of the solid line up though.

15. Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ This is why Griffen is soooo important. We need for him to come around on his hitting. With the kind of raw power that he possesses in the lineup, we can do more things. _
    Thad is a guy that posses sheer, raw talent. If he works hard this off-season, he could be the talk of the SBC next year. He's an excellent defensive catcher, he's got a brilliant arm, and we've all seen what he can do when he makes contact. He needs to be more alert at times, and IMO, step up and be a team leader next season; a role that will probably STILL be vacant. Bottom line: If he puts in the work, he'll be a great player. Not good, GREAT.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information