Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Whipple is definitely out next year. For him to return in 2011, he has certain obligations to meet. Those are challenging and it is not certain he will be able to achieve them. _
    Are you talking about physical, academic, or otherwise??

Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ Not nearly enough pop in this lineup. If we are stuck with what you have here, we will have another losing season. I do like the pitchers though. Let's hope we have some good recruits coming in, otherwise, it will be another disappointing year. _
    I don't think you have to have pop to win.you just have to do things differently.

Baseball guys out there please answer me on this question.it is obvious that we will not be able to recruit the guys that mash the ball like some bigger schools do. Why don't more schools recruit speed. Guys that can get on base and give the defense fits. I believe it was UC Irvine a few years back that was built around speed but I could be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ I don't think you have to have pop to win.you just have to do things differently.

Baseball guys out there please answer me on this question.it is obvious that we will not be able to recruit the guys that mash the ball like some bigger schools do. Why don't more schools recruit speed. Guys that can get on base and give the defense fits. I believe it was UC Irvine a few years back that was built around speed but I could be wrong on that. _
    I agree with what you are saying. However we need a shortstop for next year that can catch the baseball. Until we stop making errors we are going to suck every year. I think Les is going to get better and more physical, he will provide some pop, along with Goulas, and Keefer.

The good news is we will not lose anyone to the draft this year unless Wilborn signs for peanuts and a box or two of Cracker Jacks. We have something to build on for next year but we must be better at catching and throwing for next year. I think our pitching will be there for us next year, but if you can't catch guys like Cook and Osborne are useless. They pitch to contact, and when you pitch to contact you rely of the defense to make plays, and from what I saw we didn't make to many plays. Prime example is the Middle game that Cook started, defense let him down big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ I don't think you have to have pop to win.you just have to do things differently.

Baseball guys out there please answer me on this question.it is obvious that we will not be able to recruit the guys that mash the ball like some bigger schools do. Why don't more schools recruit speed. Guys that can get on base and give the defense fits. I believe it was UC Irvine a few years back that was built around speed but I could be wrong on that. _
    I understand what you are saying and I agree to an extent. I didn't mean that we needed guys in the lineup from 1 to 9 who could hit it out of the yard, but we need more than we have. I think a combination of speed and line drive gap hitters is what we need. I think a change in philosophy is also needed. We need to move away from small ball. Playing for one run with aluminum bats is rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2bag View Post
    _ I agree with what you are saying. However we need a shortstop for next year that can catch the baseball. Until we stop making errors we are going to suck every year. I think Les is going to get better and more physical, he will provide some pop, along with Goulas, and Keefer.

The good news is we will not lose anyone to the draft this year unless Wilborn signs for peanuts and a box or two of Cracker Jacks. We have something to build on for next year but we must be better at catching and throwing for next year. I think our pitching will be there for us next year, but if you can't catch guys like Cook and Osborne are useless. They pitch to contact, and when you pitch to contact you rely of the defense to make plays, and from what I saw we didn't make to many plays. Prime example is the Middle game that Cook started, defense let him down big time! _
    You must not have been watching the same game i was because Cook gave up 8 hits and 7 runs all were earn runs, and remember our SS save the game against MT on Friday nite,and 2 of the errors should have been made if we had someone who can play 1st base

Quote Originally Posted by Dad2 View Post
    _ You must not have been watching the same game i was because Cook gave up 8 hits and 7 runs all were earn runs, and remember our SS save the game against MT on Friday nite,and 2 of the errors should have been made if we had someone who can play 1st base _
    Meant Wilborn

Fontnote is not a SS, would be a lot better for us if we can have him play 2nd.

He has 19 errors. He has also made several more that were not errors because he got an out on a double play,but did not get the double play. I think he can play 2nd but I hope he doesn't play SS next season!

The thing that worries me is still the hitting and power of the lineup next year. All but 1 of our recruits are pitchers so we basically have to improve hitting through practice rather than bringing in new bats. This will be the biggest area of concern IMO. Pitching will be solid with near everyone coming back. Hopefully a new or less used pitcher or 2 will step up to fill the spots being vacated.

Fontnote is not a SS, would be a lot better for us if we can have him play 2nd.

I'm very offended by your spelling. Being a FONTENOT and all

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ I'm very offended by your spelling. Being a FONTENOT and all _
    NOTED!

_ NOTED! _
    Thats what she said!!!

I'd like to see a lot more small ball next year anyway. The Tigue is a graveyard, playing for the homerun in that park is not a strategy.

We have guys who can run, but we don't steal bases at all. bunts for base hits, hit and runs, steals and putting pressure on the defense is the best option for the kind of lineup we will put on the field next year

Smith will be the pop in our lineup, when Whipple comes back in a year he'll have pop too. We will also have a lot of speed; Fuse, Olasin, and Goulas are capable of stealing a lot of bases.

The outfield is large. WKU hit 80 bombs this year, about 1.5 per game, but none at the Tigue. Credit UL pitchers.and the Tigue. We need speedy gap hitters that can hit for average and doubles, not necessarily home runs. We will improve when the team BA is over .300 again.

14. Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    _ The outfield is large. WKU hit 80 bombs this year, about 1.5 per game, but none at the Tigue. Credit UL pitchers.and the Tigue. _
    First of all, when and where did you guys hear that Whip is out next year?
    Next, you guys are forgetting the Porrier and Bowman will be big contributors next season, if not starters bringing in some corner JUCO's, so that could also play a role. Third, if you guys don't think the long ball plays a big factor, check out the HR stats for the top 3 teams in the SBC. All 3 had big power numbers. This is not your daddy's SBC. We need (at least the threat) of the homerun ball. Especially considering that our Pen will not be a dominant one again next season.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ First of all, when and where did you guys hear that Whip is out next year?
    Next, you guys are forgetting the Porrier and Bowman will be big contributors next season, if not starters bringing in some corner JUCO's, so that could also play a role. Third, if you guys don't think the long ball plays a big factor, check out the HR stats for the top 3 teams in the SBC. All 3 had big power numbers. This is not your daddy's SBC. We need (at least the threat) of the homerun ball. Especially considering that our Pen will not be a dominant one again next season. _
    Apparently Robe commented on Mr. Bitter Whipple misses 2010. Nearly everyone else in the belt plays in a smaller ball park. The wind blows in from right at the Tigue at least 10 MPH 80% of the time. The rest of the league plays here 3 games every other year. Finding power hitters and signing them sounds easier than it is.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information