Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Default Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

I rest my case.

The talent is there both on offense and defense. We just didnt execute which eludes to coach repeatedly calling this team soft.

We need someone who is going to put the weight of the team on his shoulders and refuse to fail. I think there are guys who have shown they can be that guy, but no one has grabbed the bull by the balls and said "this is my team, let's go"

Unfortunetely, you can't recruit that attitude.

This isnt on Robe, this is on all those guys in the clubhouse who are looking for someone else to step up and carry the team. Making plays is good, getting hits is good, striking guys out is good, but until takes the reigns and wants to be "the guy" we're going to lose.

Fu*k friends. Someone step up and make this "his team"

.and there is nothing wrong with small ball fellas. bunting and hitting and running etc. puts constant pressure on the defense. It makes themcatch the ball on the run(most ofthe time) and throw it on the run. then they have to throw it strait over and over again. I have yet to see anyone in the history of the game to outrun a pop fly to center field. Well maybe Coker.haha The problem with our small ball is that when we played it,most of the time we failed to exacute properly, but when done right i find it to be affective. I mentioned in one of my earlier post about UT and how little pop they had in the line up, but as jay mentioned they pitch there butts off. Pitching and playing SOLID defense will bring championships

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    You have GOT to have a couple of guys, that can make pitchers pay for mistakes, by putting the ball over the fence. I solid hitter who can put the ball in play can get a two out, two on hit. But if someone hits a homer in that spot, the situation goes from bad to devastating It's a momentum grabber, and a game changer. It doesn't have to be a constant, and we should never RELY on it, but it's got to be an element to a productive lineup.
    I think we have three to four guys in the present lineup who can(and have) hit between 8-12 homers a game (Smith, Goulas, Keefer, Griffen). I also think Benzel has the capability to hit that many if his swing becomes more consistent. We'll have to see how the shortstop already signed as well as the two corner infielders they are trying to sign will play out as hitters, and whether they can even crack the lineup. In general, I'd rather have a lineup where we have a number of hitters who can hit for average against good pitching, that have good speed, have occasionial home run power, and keep pressure on a pitching staff than a lineup of just home run power.

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ Seriously????? Do you watch college baseball at all. Oregon State won back to back championships with nothing but pitching and defense. They had minimal power and scored runs by bunting and stealing. This year they are hitting .275 as a team with 22 team bombs, but they have an incredible team fielding percentage of .976(unreal) and an era of 3.69.

Fresno State won a world series with their bullpen and timely hitting. Guys like mendonca and susdorf and hit a few bombs, but they were a station to station team. Teams like CS-Fullerton, UC-Irvine, Cal Poly, Long Beach St, etc all play great defense, pitch lights out and move runners.

watch the damn games _
    Settle down moron. If you would actually read my post, you would see that I said SMALL BALL BY ITSELF.

UL Baseball Re: Baseball Lineups: 2010

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection View Post
    _ Starting this year we did not know many positions. Next year the cupboard is full which will mean many more wins.

If I had to start a game at the start of next year and not including any new players, I would go with:

Catcher- Keefer
    Third-Benzel
    Short- Fontenot
    Second- Bostick
    First- Guillory?? Heard he will move to first.
    Left- Goulas
    Center-Olasin
    Right- Smith
    DH- Fuslier/Long

Pitchers (Weekend)
    Ozaborne
    Robe
    Cook/Willborn(if back)

This is a very good nucleus to start with. Of course all subject to change with any new faces in the picture.

CC _

With Smith and Benzel leaving, revised roster with no new players in. I think a few new players will be in this mix.

Outfield: Goulas, Olasin,Fuslier (Long)
    First-Guillory
    Second- Bostick
    Short- Fontenot
    Third- Keefer
    Catcher- Griffin
    DH- Long

Pitchers- Same

The cupboard is not bare but lost a few ingredients in the last weeks.

Next year's (updated lineup)

C. Griffen
    1B. Guillory/Keefer
    2B. Bostick
    3B. Keefer/Long
    SS. Fontenot
    LF. Olasin/Fuse
    CF. Bowman/Olasin
    RF. Goulas
    DH. Long

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ Next year's (updated lineup)

C. Griffen
    1B. Guillory/Keefer
    2B. Bostick
    3B. Keefer/Long
    SS. Fontenot
    LF. Olasin/Fuse
    CF. Bowman/Olasin
    RF. Goulas
    DH. Long _
    I would wait before making projections for next season. We have two confirmed commitments, one OF and corner bat 1B-3B from JC. I expect the staff another bat in the coming weeks along with another pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ I would wait before making projections for next season. We have two confirmed commitments, one OF and corner bat 1B-3B from JC. I expect the staff another bat in the coming weeks along with another pitcher. _

I agree with you 100%. But it is a message board so it really doesnt matter what my opinions are. just for fun you know.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ I would wait before making projections for next season. We have two confirmed commitments, one OF and corner bat 1B-3B from JC. I expect the staff another bat in the coming weeks along with another pitcher. _
    What commitments have we gotten the last week, does anybody know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad2 View Post
    _ What commitments have we gotten the last week, does anybody know who they are. _
    Can't say anything further until the letters have been signed and sent back to the office.

Jordan Porrier will also be back as an option for infield. I know he played a bit his freshman year and was out as a RS this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ Jordan Porrier will also be back as an option for infield. I know he played a bit his freshman year and was out as a RS this year. _
    Good pointI would take him at 2b over Bostick He has the power to hit 7-10 homeruns

Quote Originally Posted by Ballfan View Post
    _ Good pointI would take him at 2b over Bostick He has the power to hit 7-10 homeruns _
    Poirrier is gonna have to figure his bat and glove out to take Bostick's job at 2B. He batted near 70 pts less and fielded 35 pts less. Also Poirrier will be a Jr again next year since he was JUCO and redshirted last year. Bostick will be a Sr. He also really got his game going in the second half of the season after struggling mightily early.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection View Post
    _ With Smith and Benzel leaving, revised roster with no new players in. I think a few new players will be in this mix.

Outfield: Goulas, Olasin,Fuslier (Long)
    First-Guillory
    Second- Bostick
    Short- Fontenot
    Third- Keefer
    Catcher- Griffin
    DH- Long

Pitchers- Same

The cupboard is not bare but lost a few ingredients in the last weeks. _
    If Will Long is our DH next year, then we are really in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Poirrier is gonna have to figure his bat and glove out to take Bostick's job at 2B. He batted near 70 pts less and fielded 35 pts less. Also Poirrier will be a Jr again next year since he was JUCO and redshirted last year. Bostick will be a Sr. He also really got his game going in the second half of the season after struggling mightily early. _
    I see your point but I am very concerned about our lack of power next yearWe have too many slap hitter's(Fontenot,Bostick,Olasin,Fuse)plus I would not consider Goulas a power hitter I just do not think you can win alot of games with that many guys with little or no power especially with a pitching staff that will probably be a little thinAnyway back to my point,keep you eye on Jordan next yearLast year he was projected to be our 3 hitter and hit double digit homerunsHe got off to a slow start but finished very strongI predict he will be our surprise next year.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information