Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a change?

Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ Let's say you get rid of Robe. Who in the heck are they going to bring in? Considering the school gives the baseball team 0 dollars a year, considering the fact that Robe has deep relationships with all of his boosters who would probably keep their money if coach was axed, considering his impact on the community and what he does strictly from a business stand point for the program.

If Robe leaves you are looking at a program that will average about 300 fans a game, a program which would probably lose it's TPX contract, and with a new coach having to raise all the funds, you won't get an upgrade, only a down grade.

Your coach would likely be a local high school coach with ties in the area.

Sweet idea.

Robe has earned a pass because what he does from a business aspect for the university. This after all is a business right. Bustle and Lee havent done that and that is why they are expendable. _

The beginning of your statement is exactly why many of us here who ARE critical of Robe also, in no way shape or form, want him gone. I completely believe he is the right person at this time for the program. In our time of budget woes, I feel it would be stupid to make any move only to have to pay more for somebody who doesn't have the fan loyalty Robe does. However, I believe that Robe's local ties make him Mr. Untouchable in many here's eyes. I have no idea what Robe's "business" successes have been here and how he's better for business than the other coaches but that is completely false. My whole point throughout this has simply been that he should be judged on the same field as others. When you've built a program to a certain level, you don't give "passes" when they've been unable to get their teams' to perform to an acceptable level. It doesn't make sense at this level. For example, Michigan St. is likely going to be the #1 team in the country beginning next year's basketball year or at least in the top 5. What if they were to go .500 for the year and have a losing record in conference? Do you think their fanbase and university would just give coach Izzo a pass because of past successes? They would hold him accountable and he'd take some heat. That doesn't mean that he'd be fired but he'd certainly be under scrutiny. LSU won the national title a few years ago in football. After last year's tough year, they wanted heads to roll when they went 8-5 in a very tough conference. I don't think the fans or the university gave the coaching staff a "pass" due to recent successes as they were supposed to do much better. Coaches were fired and you can bet that expectations are high once again.

If you don't agree, there's not much else that can be said. I just feel that he should be judged and criticized if need be on the same level as other coaches. When expectations are higher, failure is less acceptable.

I agree with you, and it should be that way, however, we cannot be compared to colleges like Michigan State and LSU in the reason that there coaches have one job: Run the operations of the program: There programs are financially self sufficient. The business that coach brings to the program is thay UL baseball is essentially a club sport with a 0 dollar budget from the university. Robe has built the program into the best program in the league and one of the finest programs in the country. (that's the business side that I was talking about). Bustle hasnt done that and neither has Lee. Thats the difference. Right now, baseball is the only revenue generating sport in the school. (maybe softball, but I'm not sure). With him gone, the "program" cannot sustain from a money making stand point.

Of course excellence should be the standard. The program should be criticized and fans have every right to be mad and demanding change. All I'm saying is that the primary reason the university sponsors an athletic department is to make money. Robe is the coach who can raise the most capital for his program, therefore he is the coach.

PS. Even at big schools, coaches dont get fired until the boosters declare that they will take there money elsewhere. It's not about winning its about the dolla dolla bills yall.

If it don't make dollars then it don't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ In football, Bustle has taken the worse program in the country to a 6-6 season after 7 years, so we expect a winning season next year and a bowl game. We have been critically patient and rightly so. In basketball, our program has faltered under Lee the last couple of years and he is strongly criticized and everyone wants him removed. In baseball, Robichaux has taken a CWS team in 2000 to back to back losing seasons. Last year we were picked #1 in the SBC and a preseason Top 20 team only to have a losing season and then dropped to a #6 pick in the SBC this year and another losing season. He didn't do it last year with a Top 20 team, didn't do it this year with a young team but has recruited questionable talent and may not have a winning team again next year. He deserves as much criticism as any other Cajun team that has not lived up to expectations. He certainly doesn't need to be fired, but what happens next year if we have 3 losing seasons in a row? Here's hoping we don't have to answer that question and UL returns to its leadership position in baseball. _
    You are partially correct my friend! We have not had back to back losing seasons. We finished 30-29 in 2008. We did not have a losing season last year and next year would not be 3 losing seasons in a row. This is only Robe's 2nd losing season in 15 years as the Cajun skipper. I believe 1996 was his other losing year. Don't embellish the facts.

GEAUX UL!

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ 2008, Coach Robe said if we did not make it to the CWS, the year would be a total disappointment. We were supposed to have one of the best pitching staffs in the nation _
    Were talking about 2009 season.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    _ Since when were we expected to go to the CWS? _
    That is what you said.

This was posted by Zeph
    "When you are expected to possibly go to the CWS and you end the season .500 and barely making your own conference tourney, there needs to be some questions answered in my book."

He was talking about 08, because we had CWS expctations and finished 7th in the SBC. Finishing the season at 32-32.

Come on dude, I guess you still like TM music I guess?

We have been in the regionals 2 of the last 7 years.

We haven't been through this kind of a stretch in about 20 years.

Also, players who will be seniors in high school this fall, were in the 3rd grade when we went to Omaha.

In a couple of years, all of the players we will be recruiting will have no memory of our Omaha trip.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no question that we've hit a rough patch. Trying to sugarcoat it will do no good.

Another losing season? This was the first losing season in around 12 years! Also, where was Fresno State ranked last year to start the season? Thats right, around the same area as the Cajuns. They got hot late and won the title.

Baseball cant be evaluated like the rest of the sports for many reasons, one being those hefty 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster. Look at the records of teams in college baseball. You have the top notch who win 40+, then you have the next level who win 30+, then you have the others who win less then 30. Robe has consistently been in that second level and had a couple teams in the top notch during his career. Were these last 2 years a dissapointment? Yes. But also remember that they are teaching a new hitting philosophy with the addition of Trahan, which came around in spurts this year. The guys werent trying to hit the sign in left anymore, they were trying to drive the ball from center to the opposite gap. Everything will be fine, plenty of returning talent and a wealth of experience gained this year by the freshmen.

Rant complete! Have a nice day. I need a drink lol

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    _ Another losing season? This was the first losing season in around 12 years! Also, where was Fresno State ranked last year to start the season? Thats right, around the same area as the Cajuns. They got hot late and won the title.

Baseball cant be evaluated like the rest of the sports for many reasons, one being those hefty 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster. Look at the records of teams in college baseball. You have the top notch who win 40+, then you have the next level who win 30+, then you have the others who win less then 30. Robe has consistently been in that second level and had a couple teams in the top notch during his career. Were these last 2 years a dissapointment? Yes. But also remember that they are teaching a new hitting philosophy with the addition of Trahan, which came around in spurts this year. The guys werent trying to hit the sign in left anymore, they were trying to drive the ball from center to the opposite gap. Everything will be fine, plenty of returning talent and a wealth of experience gained this year by the freshmen.

igeaux.mobi _

Nothing you have said is untrue. The point is made again. We were simply stating that he is given a "pass" or more leniency towards these failures because of past success but the bar has been raised. The program is or should be in a state of consistent production. It's one thing to falter on the national scene but we haven't competed in our own conference and when you throw the expectations of 2008 in there and consider the "talent" we had, that team fell flat on its face. What we're saying is if this was basketball or football, the uproar would be greater.

While the sports are different, why should the scholarship issue be an issue? It's the same everywhere. That could be seen as a copout. The lack of a proper athletic budget also affects football much more than it does baseball. There is a different path that many choose to evaluate performances of baseball vs. other sports here pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ I agree with you, and it should be that way, however, we cannot be compared to colleges like Michigan State and LSU in the reason that there coaches have one job: Run the operations of the program: There programs are financially self sufficient. The business that coach brings to the program is thay UL baseball is essentially a club sport with a 0 dollar budget from the university. Robe has built the program into the best program in the league and one of the finest programs in the country. (that's the business side that I was talking about). Bustle hasnt done that and neither has Lee. Thats the difference. Right now, baseball is the only revenue generating sport in the school. (maybe softball, but I'm not sure). With him gone, the "program" cannot sustain from a money making stand point.

Of course excellence should be the standard. The program should be criticized and fans have every right to be mad and demanding change. All I'm saying is that the primary reason the university sponsors an athletic department is to make money. Robe is the coach who can raise the most capital for his program, therefore he is the coach.

PS. Even at big schools, coaches dont get fired until the boosters declare that they will take there money elsewhere. It's not about winning its about the dolla dolla bills yall.

If it don't make dollars then it don't make sense _

Well, in relative terms hasn't bustle built the football program to a better level than it was 10 years ago? While it certainly is not a top program even in the SBC, it is in a far greater position than it was back then and progress is certainly made. This sport is much more directly affected by the athletic budget or lack thereof in our case. I'd argue that Bustle has managed his "business" to a greater level. Lee has seen attendance drop and has certainly done nothing in that dept but Bustle has us averaging the most for home games over ANY other SBC team and we will likely sell out 2 games this year and possibly more. Again, I'd say he's been just as good for business or better

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    _ Another losing season? This was the first losing season in around 12 years! Also, where was Fresno State ranked last year to start the season? Thats right, around the same area as the Cajuns. They got hot late and won the title.

igeaux.mobi _
    Hitting philosophy had nothing to do with how bad we sucked this year. You can either hit or you can't. When you get into the box at least when I got into the box I looked for 1 pitch, and when I got that pitch I didn't miss it to many times. The problem with the guys that we have is they are not jumping on pitches early in the count. Some looked overmatched by fastballs, there is no excuse for that!

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2bag View Post
    Hitting philosophy had nothing to do with how bad we sucked this year. You can either hit or you can't. When you get into the box at least when I got into the box I looked for 1 pitch, and when I got that pitch I didn't miss it to many times. The problem with the guys that we have is they are not jumping on pitches early in the count. Some looked overmatched by fastballs, there is no excuse for that!
    What is the top arm speed and machine speed a batter sees in batting practice?
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ What is the top arm speed and machine speed a batter sees in batting practice?
    igeaux.mobi _
    Maybe next year we can get someone throwing 100 during BP and they will hit a fastball. If you can't catch up to a 90 mph fastball you can't play at this level.

UL Baseball Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Nothing you have said is untrue. The point is made again. We were simply stating that he is given a "pass" or more leniency towards these failures because of past success but the bar has been raised. The program is or should be in a state of consistent production. It's one thing to falter on the national scene but we haven't competed in our own conference and when you throw the expectations of 2008 in there and consider the "talent" we had, that team fell flat on its face. What we're saying is if this was basketball or football, the uproar would be greater.

While the sports are different, why should the scholarship issue be an issue? It's the same everywhere. That could be seen as a copout. The lack of a proper athletic budget also affects football much more than it does baseball. There is a different path that many choose to evaluate performances of baseball vs. other sports here pure and simple.
    I remember Robe speaking about the preseason ranking in 2008 saying it was nice but doesn't get you any wins. In my opinion, the ranking was totally based on the returning pitching expectations. Based on those expectations, our team ERA went from 3.78 in 2007 to 5.0 in 2008. The only pitcher to match his previous year performance was Hunter Moody. All of the other pitchers had their ERA's go up by at least 2 runs per game. We also lost Matt Pilgreen and Andrew Laughter, who both pitched great out of the bullpen.

Most people forget the offense we lost on the regional team of 2077. Our offense in 2007 was much better than 2008. We had a team batting average of .310 (versus .248 in 2008) and we lost the top two hitters from the team (Lucroy & Tatford). In addition, Gisclair, Logan & Hawkins had their best hitting years. The lineup did a great job of protecting hitters so opposing pitchers didn't get a rest throughout the lineup. We batted Devon Bourque near the end of the order, and he only hit .257 but had an on base percentage of .402 and drove pitchers crazy. Without the consistancy and leadership we lost in the lineup, the returners didn't have the best followup year. In 2008, the three returning players (Hawkins, Gisclair, Logan) went down an average of .050, with only one being over .300. Losing Kolin Hatfield to injury for the season also removed a returning player that could have helped.

I'm not making excuses, because the players on your roster have to step up when you go from year to year, but we did lose some special players that 2007 year. I think an attitude by a few players can drive a team attitude, and I think we lost our attitude after the 2007 season, and still haven't found a new one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ I remember Robe speaking about the preseason ranking in 2008 saying it was nice but doesn't get you any wins. In my opinion, the ranking was totally based on the returning pitching expectations. Based on those expectations, our team ERA went from 3.78 in 2007 to 5.0 in 2008. The only pitcher to match his previous year performance was Hunter Moody. All of the other pitchers had their ERA's go up by at least 2 runs per game. We also lost Matt Pilgreen and Andrew Laughter, who both pitched great out of the bullpen.

Most people forget the offense we lost on the regional team of 2077. Our offense in 2007 was much better than 2008. We had a team batting average of .310 (versus .248 in 2008) and we lost the top two hitters from the team (Lucroy & Tatford). In addition, Gisclair, Logan & Hawkins had their best hitting years. The lineup did a great job of protecting hitters so opposing pitchers didn't get a rest throughout the lineup. We batted Devon Bourque near the end of the order, and he only hit .257 but had an on base percentage of .402 and drove pitchers crazy. Without the consistancy and leadership we lost in the lineup, the returners didn't have the best followup year. In 2008, the three returning players (Hawkins, Gisclair, Logan) went down an average of .050, with only one being over .300. Losing Kolin Hatfield to injury for the season also removed a returning player that could have helped.

I'm not making excuses, because the players on your roster have to step up when you go from year to year, but we did lose some special players that 2007 year. I think an attitude by a few players can drive a team attitude, and I think we lost our attitude after the 2007 season, and still haven't found a new one yet. _

And you also mentioned a lot of players who carried over from that 2007 team to 2008 who didn't have as good of years. Some here would say that goes to coaching. I believe that people can have off years but I'm simply trying to parallel the sports the best I can. Also, I'm glad you mentioned the expectations for the 2008 team. I do not doubt that maybe those expectations were possibly a bit exaggerated. However, in defense of my argument, compare the expectations of football for last year and that 2008 baseball team. Football was picked to finish 4th in its own conference by most and that was with Fenroy and Des coming back. They ended up 2nd in conference, had 2 more wins than most predicted and their play for 8 weeks last year excluding the injury pileup was the best I've seen in YEARS. Take all that and search the posts here after the season and snub by the bowls and you have nothing but blame pitched at T-Joe all the way to Bustle. People were angry saying that he's had enough time here to right the ship and get things to a winning level. Baseball fell flat on its face that year and barely made the conference tourney. Not much in way of criticizing Robe was mentioned here and those who did were criticized themselves. You take into consideration that Bustle has increased attendance to where we now lead the league in this category ahead of the frontrunners such as Troy and FAU and he's improved the facilities and program in spite of a miserable athletic budget. While he's no Joe Paterno, he's certainly done more with less in my book but every year fights off much more criticism than some of his colleagues.

Good post though.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And you also mentioned a lot of players who carried over from that 2007 team to 2008 who didn't have as good of years. Some here would say that goes to coaching. I believe that people can have off years but I'm simply trying to parallel the sports the best I can. Also, I'm glad you mentioned the expectations for the 2008 team. I do not doubt that maybe those expectations were possibly a bit exaggerated. However, in defense of my argument, compare the expectations of football for last year and that 2008 baseball team. Football was picked to finish 4th in its own conference by most and that was with Fenroy and Des coming back. They ended up 2nd in conference, had 2 more wins than most predicted and their play for 8 weeks last year excluding the injury pileup was the best I've seen in YEARS. Take all that and search the posts here after the season and snub by the bowls and you have nothing but blame pitched at T-Joe all the way to Bustle. People were angry saying that he's had enough time here to right the ship and get things to a winning level. Baseball fell flat on its face that year and barely made the conference tourney. Not much in way of criticizing Robe was mentioned here and those who did were criticized themselves. You take into consideration that Bustle has increased attendance to where we now lead the league in this category ahead of the frontrunners such as Troy and FAU and he's improved the facilities and program in spite of a miserable athletic budget. While he's no Joe Paterno, he's certainly done more with less in my book but every year fights off much more criticism than some of his colleagues.

Good post though.
    Last point. I may be misinformed, but Baseball, from my understanding, has no budget except salaries for coaches and some travel. Recruiting budgets and most of the recent facility improvements were donated. Our park is probably now in the bottom two or three in the conference.

Despite that, we have the best atmosphere in the country (IMO) and are in the top 25 yearly in attendance. I attribute the majority of that situation to the coach.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information