Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a change?

Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    _ Since when were we expected to go to the CWS?
    2008, Coach Robe said if we did not make it to the CWS, the year would be a total disappointment. We were supposed to have one of the best pitching staffs in the nation

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I agree. It seems we evaluate some of our coaches differently than others. When you have a coach who has achieved some of the things he has with this program, its only logical to assume that expectations be stepped up. To me, some of the recent baseball seasons have been more disappointing than those of football or even basketball. When you are expected to possibly go to the CWS and you end the season .500 and barely making your own conference tourney, there needs to be some questions answered in my book. _
    I don't disagree that most of us had higher expectations go unrealized in baseball the past two years. But, just because expectations were not met does not logically translate into a coaching change. I will replace coaches like spare parts. but they have to be improvements. UL is not in a current state to go out and improve on our baseball coach(s). We have a lot of other business to tend to before we get to looking Robe eye to eye and tell him he doesn't cut "our" lofty athletic department goals anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    _ exactly. This lineup was filled with new guys. Only Hawkins was a returning starter. This year in no way was as disapointing as last year. No excuses for what happened in 08. _
    And I am sure you and his other critics can be more successful in making 18-22 year olds walk, talk, hit, throw and swing into perfection every time they step foot on an athletic field? When you bottle perfection, please pass it along. I am sure Robe will be among the thousands of coaches who will pass along as much as you can muster to their players. I hope that your patented concoction is perfect enough to can make a ball bounce the same way, be hit the same way, and fall away from defensive players each time it is put into play. And you will also be able to land the best players in the land and keep them away from the likes of the LSU's, Florida’s, and Florida States of the collegiate baseball world??? And of course, the formula would also guarantee perfection from you in the workplaceto a point where your bosses would be able to depend on your 100% perfection/performance in your workplace? Perhaps you should work on being perfect in your own setting before demanding better from someone else. If I were Robe, I would pack up and head into the private sector where he would be more successful than 95% of the folks who are addicted to this website with their 1500-4500 posts. Then he could sit back and watch his replacement face the same pitfalls of a program that is grossly underfunded and one that will never be as consistent as the big boys in the game who spend spend spend to get to where your (and others') collegiate utopia seems to be. Collegiate sports are games. Is your job a game? Your family? He does not come into your home or office and criticize you or your performance and he does not tell you how to run those. Please do not criticize his or tell him how to run HIS business. unless you can do it better and perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st View Post
    _ And I am sure you and his other critics can be more successful in making 18-22 year olds walk, talk, hit, throw and swing into perfection every time they step foot on an athletic field? When you bottle perfection, please pass it along. I am sure Robe will be among the thousands of coaches who will pass along as much as you can muster to their players. I hope that your patented concoction is perfect enough to can make a ball bounce the same way, be hit the same way, and fall away from defensive players each time it is put into play. And you will also be able to land the best players in the land and keep them away from the likes of the LSU's, Florida’s, and Florida States of the collegiate baseball world??? And of course, the formula would also guarantee perfection from you in the workplaceto a point where your bosses would be able to depend on your 100% perfection/performance in your workplace? Perhaps you should work on being perfect in your own setting before demanding better from someone else. If I were Robe, I would pack up and head into the private sector where he would be more successful than 95% of the folks who are addicted to this website with their 1500-4500 posts. Then he could sit back and watch his replacement face the same pitfalls of a program that is grossly underfunded and one that will never be as consistent as the big boys in the game who spend spend spend to get to where your (and others') collegiate utopia seems to be. Collegiate sports are games. Is your job a game? Your family? He does not come into your home or office and criticize you or your performance and he does not tell you how to run those. Please do not criticize his or tell him how to run HIS business. unless you can do it better and perfectly. _
    Did you defend Coach Lee like this?

It is none of our jobs to make 18-22 year olds walk, talk, hit and whatever else you mentioned but guess what, it is Coach Robes job to do just that. We criticize coach Lee for not having his team ready to play but when the coach who didn't have his team ready is Robe everyone has to shut their mouth. I have never said fire Robe but his job is to win games and if he doesn't win up to expectations than he is not doing his job. Recruiting players that can play his style of game is his job, when we look bad in the field, at the plate, or on the mound it is his job to fix it, and when we are winning it falls directly on the head coaches shoulders for not doing all this. Everyone can say all they want about it not being his fault that the players make mistakes or that no player stepped up to be a leader but that is his job to recruit players that make as few mistakes as possible and recruit players that will be leaders.

Once again I do not think he should be fired but NO coach who had 2 bad years in a row should be beyond criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    _ Since when were we expected to go to the CWS? I don't think some of you guys realize how hard it is to reach the CWS!!! I do think a more attainable goal would be a regional appearance 2 out of every 3 years. Coach Robe is not the problem and the only reason recruiting is a problem is because of a lack of funds. Untill we fix up the Tigue then we will keep getting average talent. Talented players also want to play at a nice place. Even though a game experience at the Tigue is one of the best in the country you would be kidding yourself if you thought that our stadium is on par with the top programs in the state. Stop complaning and start giving!!! _

Don't call people out unless you know something about them. Do I give? Your damn right I do. I might give less than some but my 5k that I just donated to the RCAF is enough for me. Your statement is exactly my point. I know that we have this unbelievable base that is loyal to Robe and defends him at any cost. This does not bother me. However, I see many of the same people who bash bustle because he has been able to get the program off the ground in his time here. However, he took over a program that was in dire straits, no question about it and its harder to build for football success than baseball success in my book. You blame the budget. There are tons of teams out there who have built solid baseball programs without have the blockbuster athletic budgets of BCS schools. Getting talent to these schools is NOT the problem. Just ask Southeastern this year and countless other schools out there. My point is that to many, a six win season in football is not acceptable but the baseball team seems to not carry the same weight when it comes to criticism. Robe inherited a good program already and has certainly accomplished some things,no doubt but with success comes higher expectations and recent teams have not lived up to those expectations.

My comment about the CWS was simple. 08's team came in highly heralded being ranked in the top 20 consisting of what many "experts" called one of the best pitching staffs in the country. To me, that team is a CWS caliber team and while getting there is a major accomplishment and ungiven, that team had the talent to do it. However, the major disappointment that ensued was not expected but there was very little talk questioning the coach. If football or basketball had so many expectations leading up to the year and they fell flat on their face, you'd have people picketing Martin Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st View Post
    _ And I am sure you and his other critics can be more successful in making 18-22 year olds walk, talk, hit, throw and swing into perfection every time they step foot on an athletic field? When you bottle perfection, please pass it along. I am sure Robe will be among the thousands of coaches who will pass along as much as you can muster to their players. I hope that your patented concoction is perfect enough to can make a ball bounce the same way, be hit the same way, and fall away from defensive players each time it is put into play. And you will also be able to land the best players in the land and keep them away from the likes of the LSU's, Florida’s, and Florida States of the collegiate baseball world??? And of course, the formula would also guarantee perfection from you in the workplaceto a point where your bosses would be able to depend on your 100% perfection/performance in your workplace? Perhaps you should work on being perfect in your own setting before demanding better from someone else. If I were Robe, I would pack up and head into the private sector where he would be more successful than 95% of the folks who are addicted to this website with their 1500-4500 posts. Then he could sit back and watch his replacement face the same pitfalls of a program that is grossly underfunded and one that will never be as consistent as the big boys in the game who spend spend spend to get to where your (and others') collegiate utopia seems to be. Collegiate sports are games. Is your job a game? Your family? He does not come into your home or office and criticize you or your performance and he does not tell you how to run those. Please do not criticize his or tell him how to run HIS business. unless you can do it better and perfectly. _

Nobody here wants Robe fired. That is a misconception that some just don't understand. However, like Clutch mentioned, he should not be beyond criticism when his team falls on its face. I understand your point. I ask the same of you. Come football season, when people start to complain about Bustle not turning the corner, just don't criticize him or tell him how to run HIS business unless you can do it better.and perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I don't disagree that most of us had higher expectations go unrealized in baseball the past two years. But, just because expectations were not met does not logically translate into a coaching change. I will replace coaches like spare parts. but they have to be improvements. UL is not in a current state to go out and improve on our baseball coach(s). We have a lot of other business to tend to before we get to looking Robe eye to eye and tell him he doesn't cut "our" lofty athletic department goals anymore. _

Agreed. I never stated that I thought there should be a change as I do not. I only beleve that coach is in line to be criticized more though, as he seems to be void of this honor. See my above posts.

After the season is the time to step back and take perspective of the whole year. Looking back we ended with a bang but it doesn't erase the fact that we underachieved again. Its time to WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ After the season is the time to step back and take perspective of the whole year. Looking back we ended with a bang but it doesn't erase the fact that we underachieved again. Its time to WIN! _

In football, Bustle has taken the worse program in the country to a 6-6 season after 7 years, so we expect a winning season next year and a bowl game. We have been critically patient and rightly so. In basketball, our program has faltered under Lee the last couple of years and he is strongly criticized and everyone wants him removed. In baseball, Robichaux has taken a CWS team in 2000 to back to back losing seasons. Last year we were picked #1 in the SBC and a preseason Top 20 team only to have a losing season and then dropped to a #6 pick in the SBC this year and another losing season. He didn't do it last year with a Top 20 team, didn't do it this year with a young team but has recruited questionable talent and may not have a winning team again next year. He deserves as much criticism as any other Cajun team that has not lived up to expectations. He certainly doesn't need to be fired, but what happens next year if we have 3 losing seasons in a row? Here's hoping we don't have to answer that question and UL returns to its leadership position in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Don't call people out unless you know something about them. Do I give? Your damn right I do. I might give less than some but my 5k that I just donated to the RCAF is enough for me. Your statement is exactly my point. I know that we have this unbelievable base that is loyal to Robe and defends him at any cost. This does not bother me. However, I see many of the same people who bash bustle because he has been able to get the program off the ground in his time here. However, he took over a program that was in dire straits, no question about it and its harder to build for football success than baseball success in my book. You blame the budget. There are tons of teams out there who have built solid baseball programs without have the blockbuster athletic budgets of BCS schools. Getting talent to these schools is NOT the problem. Just ask Southeastern this year and countless other schools out there. My point is that to many, a six win season in football is not acceptable but the baseball team seems to not carry the same weight when it comes to criticism. Robe inherited a good program already and has certainly accomplished some things,no doubt but with success comes higher expectations and recent teams have not lived up to those expectations.

My comment about the CWS was simple. 08's team came in highly heralded being ranked in the top 20 consisting of what many "experts" called one of the best pitching staffs in the country. To me, that team is a CWS caliber team and while getting there is a major accomplishment and ungiven, that team had the talent to do it. However, the major disappointment that ensued was not expected but there was very little talk questioning the coach. If football or basketball had so many expectations leading up to the year and they fell flat on their face, you'd have people picketing Martin Hall. _
    that is called putting your money where your mouth is. very well done; it made me listen.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ In football, Bustle has taken the worse program in the country to a 6-6 season after 7 years, so we expect a winning season next year and a bowl game. We have been critically patient and rightly so. In basketball, our program has faltered under Lee the last couple of years and he is strongly criticized and everyone wants him removed. In baseball, Robichaux has taken a CWS team in 2000 to back to back losing seasons. Last year we were picked #1 in the SBC and a preseason Top 20 team only to have a losing season and then dropped to a #6 pick in the SBC this year and another losing season. He didn't do it last year with a Top 20 team, didn't do it this year with a young team but has recruited questionable talent and may not have a winning team again next year. He deserves as much criticism as any other Cajun team that has not lived up to expectations. He certainly doesn't need to be fired, but what happens next year if we have 3 losing seasons in a row? Here's hoping we don't have to answer that question and UL returns to its leadership position in baseball. _
    If we don't win 7 football games I will be extremely unhappy and I hope Bustle does not come back.

IF Lee doesn't get replaced this year I will be surprised.

Robe should be on notice. Another losing season is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I am getting convinced that we are not trying to actually come to a consensus on this subject, but rather there is such extreme boredom in the air that the worst scenario is to reach agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Robe should be on notice. Another losing season is not acceptable under any circumstances.
    Okay. The 2010 season is over and we just went 19-38. Robe is out the door!

Here is where you take over. Tell us what your plan is to right the ship?

Let's say you get rid of Robe. Who in the heck are they going to bring in? Considering the school gives the baseball team 0 dollars a year, considering the fact that Robe has deep relationships with all of his boosters who would probably keep their money if coach was axed, considering his impact on the community and what he does strictly from a business stand point for the program.

If Robe leaves you are looking at a program that will average about 300 fans a game, a program which would probably lose it's TPX contract, and with a new coach having to raise all the funds, you won't get an upgrade, only a down grade.

Your coach would likely be a local high school coach with ties in the area.

Sweet idea.

Robe has earned a pass because what he does from a business aspect for the university. This after all is a business right. Bustle and Lee havent done that and that is why they are expendable.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information