Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8

Thread: Is it time for a change?

Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ Sorry your comparison of Bustle to Robe does not hold up. I am absolutely a proponent of Bustle being gone. and an absolute proponent of Robe being given an extension. Why? Robe has EARNED the patience. His record speaks for itself. Bustle has done nothing but produce a mediocre team in the worst Football conference in America and has had 7 years to change things. My patience with Robe is not forever. but 2 bad seasons in a row after all that he has produced gives him more than a single "bogey" in my book _

Sure it holds up. I don't know how to hammer it home any more so I won't. If you don't get it then you won't. The better a program gets, the more that is expected of it from year to yearPeriod. I know you don't like Bustle but I wasn't going to point it out publicly. I've openly criticized Bustle as well. However, I sit back at the end of the day and say that he has accomplished a lot here, albeit at a much slower pace than many want. You can turn stats around and present them any way to make your argument. You choose to believe the Robe deserves a lot of patience because he has had some successful years here. O.K. I am all about patience. I'm not in favor of asking him to leave or demand they fire him. However, with those increased expectations come more pressure to succeed. You say that Bustle has done nothing but put out mediocre teams in a bad conference. Well, what would you say Robe has done the past 2 years? Also, don't forget that football is much more dependent on factors such as the athletic budget, facility managment etc These are all things that require lots of money which we don't have. The improvements in the program are measurable. I believe that you are one of the posters that believe that wins and losses are the bottom line. Well, how can you say that Robe has succeeded the past two years in that category against a bad league when one year he had a top 20 ball club and great pitching staff. I'd rather a coach and his team outperform their expectations and have a mediocre record than a coach who underperforms with a mediocre record. Again, I do not suggest he be gone, just looked at under the same microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I believe Robe and the baseball program have been criticized quite a bit on here over the past 2 years especially. I was unaware there was a quota system in place for coach criticism, but I think I can account for some of the differences. First of all, there are many more passionate football fans than there are baseball fans and that is true of RC participants as well. That accounts for more people chiming in on our football wins/losses and coaching than on our baseball coach. Baseball fans are usually a more cerebral group. Usually. You don't have nearly as many of the illustrious "bandwagon - give me something to make my life less miserable" fan associated with baseball. If you ever want to improve your street vernacular or debate a fence post. go to a football forum. on any fan site in America. Not so true with baseball.

Anyhow. I'm not as jacked up about our coaches as some. I think we have systemic issues that have to be resolved first. When you do not have a huge amount of money to throw around, the head coach firing formula is tricky. I still get a belly laugh out of "we need to make our coaches more accountable". That is pretty funny. Coaches just get fired or they do not get fired. and fans either help a program or they do not help a program. _

And you are probably right in your comments about Joe Fan. I guess I just ask for parity in judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    _ I am about sick of seeing this dang thread. I may not post a whole lot, but I read them all, and have for a long time. I keep seeing numerous people refer to '2 bad seasons'. Just above .500 in 08 and just below .500 in 09. I would like to point out that .500 baseball is not BAD, that is mediocre/average. However, at UL, yes it's below par. The reason it is below par because of the bar that Robe has helped establish here. Yes, I would LOVE to be in a regional every geedee year, but it's just not possible with the contstraints on this program. Parity in college baseball is greater than ever, and the sun-belt is more competitve (across the board) than ever. IMO, we will be LUCKY to keep Robe after his contract is up in 2011. That's my 2 cents.

Also, I'd like to point out a couple of other things. At the Tigue, the audio in section A has been schitty for years. I have complained to Coach Do (director of baseball operations) and I have complained to John Dugas (game management) for several seasons. Nothing was ever done.at some point this season, I was sick of it and emailed Coach Robe. Before the next home game, he had a speaker put up out there and was apolegetic that is was not done sooner. Also, one Saturday game a group rented one of the Lourde's Pavillions for Tailgating. When we showed up at 9:00 on gameday TONY ROBICHEAUX himself was out there setting the dang tables up for us. This is the kind of stuff Robe has to do to keep the program at the level it is. He has to micromanage every aspect of the baseball world at UL. For all of those on the board that like to criticize but never attend one stinking game, the gameday atmosphere at the Tigue is one of the best in the country. The visiting parents/fans sit near me at almost every game. Seems that every team has people comment on how fun the atmosphere is, and they wish their place was more like the Tigue. This even includes larger schools like Nebraska who average a great deal more fans than we do. I attribute A LOT of this to the 'attention' to detail' Robe provides to all areas of his domain. With his resumé, he will generate interest from larger schools, possibly SEC/Big 12and we will be LUCKY to keep him. I absolutely HATE that some feel differently, but that's your perrogative. Bottom line is, he is here till after the 2011 season, and I think 2 losing seasons in 15 years, gives him the right to be here until his contract is up. So.I'd like to give it a rest for about 2 years. _

I don't know how else to explain it but to say that if you are tired of the thread, don't read it! It aint exactly like we got a lot to talk about right now so give us a break, lol. Also, NOBODY is here calling for Robe's job. As a matter of fact, I've made it a point to point that out EVERY single damn time I've posted so some here wouldn't get that notion but I guess some aren't getting it.

I agree, it will take a lot more than two bad years in a row to get Robe in any type of trouble. It's just funny how far mediocrity goes in different sports.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I don't know how else to explain it but to say that if you are tired of the thread, don't read it! It aint exactly like we got a lot to talk about right now so give us a break, lol. Also, NOBODY is here calling for Robe's job. As a matter of fact, I've made it a point to point that out EVERY single damn time I've posted so some here wouldn't get that notion but I guess some aren't getting it.

I agree, it will take a lot more than two bad years in a row to get Robe in any type of trouble. It's just funny how far mediocrity goes in different sports. _
    Some people on here think they are refereeing a coach criticism fairness site. The only people that crack me up harder than the people like me that take "themselves" too seriously on here are the people that take "us" too seriously on here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8

Thread Information