Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a change?

Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ I disagree that pitching was the downfall. We were near the top of the conference in ERA this season. Unfortunately we were near the bottom in batting. What really killed us was being in the lower half in fielding. Many of those errors occurred at crucial times. The hitting did improve in the last week of the season except for the last game. Pitching did fall apart in the 2nd to last game but I don't panic in that regard when I look at the overall season on the mound. _
    Poor defense makes any pitching staff bad. Giving even a bad team extra outs in and inning, makes pitchers throw more pitches, and gives the other team more oppertunities to make something happen. I think that its just a combination of things that did us in this year. we were consistantly inconsistant. there were times when would score 6,7 or 8 runs and lose ballgames. That should be enough runs to win some games. I felt we were close to turning the corner a few times this season, but it just didnt happen. If we add some talent at a few key positions, we might be headed backin the right direction

Can't clain to be a Cajun baseball expert or anything, but watching the game on Saturday
    it looked like the fielding was attrocious at times and a real lack of sound fundamentals.
    They don't look like a well coached or desciplined team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpop View Post
    _ Can't clain to be a Cajun baseball expert or anything, but watching the game on Saturday
    it looked like the fielding was attrocious at times and a real lack of sound fundamentals.
    They don't look like a well coached or desciplined team. _

Why doesn't anyone mention poor recruiting over the past few years. Every year, it is either good pitching with no hitting, or good hitting with poor pitching, or a poor fielding team with poor fundamentals and too many errors that costs us games, or a combination of all three. Seems to me, our recruiting has dropped off considerably and that falls on the coaches. Baseball was the one sport that we could always count on for success. We are now a middle to lower tier team of the Sun Belt. That says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Why doesn't anyone mention poor recruiting over the past few years. Every year, it is either good pitching with no hitting, or good hitting with poor pitching, or a poor fielding team with poor fundamentals and too many errors that costs us games, or a combination of all three. Seems to me, our recruiting has dropped off considerably and that falls on the coaches. Baseball was the one sport that we could always count on for success. We are now a middle to lower tier team of the Sun Belt. That says it all.
    Houston - You can't expect our coaches to perform miracles. They have a couple of drag chains around their ankles. No budget, facilities that are quickly becoming dated, and dorms that are almost third world in some circumstances. Put yourself in the recruits shoes and compare us against Tulane, Troy, or MT.

As far as our place in the Sunbelt. Keep in mind that the SBC is typically ranked around the 7th best conference in baseball which is a good ranking conference wise. Since the 64 team field was introduced in 99' the Cajuns have finished in 1st place twice, and 2nd place four times. We have finished 3rd thru 6th one time each, and our lowest place finish was 8th in 2001.

True we finished 6th last year, and 5th this year out of eleven teams. I however don't think this is some sort of downward spiral. We are in a low point that we will get out of but the overall strength of this program is definitely going to be dependent upon some major investment in the program.

We've all heard that investment is coming thanks in large part to one benefactor. That will certainly help our baseball facilities. We still have a lot of other general athletic facility concerns to deal with as well.

opportunity to ask your questions last coach babineaux show today on the sportsnote 2:15-ish til 3 pm (CST)

call in # 337-269-1077

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpop View Post
    _ Can't clain to be a Cajun baseball expert or anything, but watching the game on Saturday
    They don't look like a well coached or desciplined team. _
    Maybe the RCAF can buy all the fielders admission to the Cajun Baseball Clinic starting in June.

7. Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ I see where TxSt also got a #2 seed at Austin. I know UT blew them out in Austin earlier in the year but they lost by only one early in the season to the Longhorns.
    Yes, once Texas State made the finals of the Southland Conference Tournament and UT looked like an obvious #1 National Seed, I knew there was a pretty good chance that Texas State would be a #2 seed in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Are you going to make any of the games at UT? _
    I may if the regional is competitive. But Friday night I am going to watch some of the televised action and watch some of the streaming broadcasts. I definitely want to see Middle and Vanderbilt (Roberts vs. Minor).

Brian

8. Default Re: Is it time for a change?

It is time for a change starting with the coachs. They are obviously not getting the job done, whether its recruiting or coaching.

9. Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan54321 View Post
    _ It is time for a change starting with the coachs. They are obviously not getting the job done, whether its recruiting or coaching. _
    I'll give you a pass, being that this is your first post (however, not a good start). Anyway, I think CAJUN90 summed up our situation best. Comparing potential to expectations is a sticky situation, especially when fans don't realize when they're team has overachieved, which we have certainly done, statistically speaking, in past seasons. Now, I'm not saying we should expect not to compete. If anything, that should speak to the accomplishment and success of Coach Robe and his staff while he's been here. I agree we should be a force in the SBC every year, but expecting a regional trip every season is a bit out of the realm of possibility (especially with the numbers that CAJUN90 supplied in an earlier post).
    At the beginning of this season, the majority of you claimed this season to be a "rebuilding" year. Now all of a sudden, some here want the best coach we have banished? A sub .500 season is typical for a "young", "rebuilding" team the last time I checked. I agree that recruiting has maybe been an issue lately, but just like all things, nothing stays the same. A team either gets better or worse in a 15 year stint, and without proper funding (see Troy's baseball stadium) it is hard to head in the right direction folks. Tony needs the tools to be successful, and now, more than ever, our deficiencies are glaring. A change needs to be made, but its in the suit's mindsets, not the head coach.

exactly. This lineup was filled with new guys. Only Hawkins was a returning starter. This year in no way was as disapointing as last year. No excuses for what happened in 08.

_ It is time for a change starting with the coachs. They are obviously not getting the job done, whether its recruiting or coaching. _
    And just who would you bring in who would do a better job over the long-term? chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp????

I'll await your reply.

12. Default Re: Is it time for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by GetTheFacts1st View Post
    And just who would you bring in who would do a better job over the long-term? chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp????

I'll await your reply.
    It's funny how so many people have all the right answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ While I don't think their needs to be a change at the top, why do we attack everyone who brings it up? I don't think it is a dumb a question as some people think. It seems that Robe is beyond being talked about.we should be able to question any coach who is not living up to potential.

I agree with what hammer mentioned in this thread.more needs to be done around the program. The weight program needs to be stepped up and maybe a few other things need to be looked at because obviously things have not worked to well as of late. _
    I agree. It seems we evaluate some of our coaches differently than others. When you have a coach who has achieved some of the things he has with this program, its only logical to assume that expectations be stepped up. To me, some of the recent baseball seasons have been more disappointing than those of football or even basketball. When you are expected to possibly go to the CWS and you end the season .500 and barely making your own conference tourney, there needs to be some questions answered in my book.

Don't worry. You'll get used to being criticized for criticizing UL. It comes with the territory. It's kind of ironic though for people such as GetTheFacts1st to criticize when they don't even have all the facts themselves. Hey, how do you like that, a double irony. Anyway, welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I agree. It seems we evaluate some of our coaches differently than others. When you have a coach who has achieved some of the things he has with this program, its only logical to assume that expectations be stepped up. To me, some of the recent baseball seasons have been more disappointing than those of football or even basketball. When you are expected to possibly go to the CWS and you end the season .500 and barely making your own conference tourney, there needs to be some questions answered in my book. _
    Since when were we expected to go to the CWS? I don't think some of you guys realize how hard it is to reach the CWS!!! I do think a more attainable goal would be a regional appearance 2 out of every 3 years. Coach Robe is not the problem and the only reason recruiting is a problem is because of a lack of funds. Untill we fix up the Tigue then we will keep getting average talent. Talented players also want to play at a nice place. Even though a game experience at the Tigue is one of the best in the country you would be kidding yourself if you thought that our stadium is on par with the top programs in the state. Stop complaning and start giving!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information