Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Default The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

In 1999, when USL was changed to University of Louisiana (Lafayette), Cajuns fans, students and alumni suggested the name change would drop the double directional name from the university, increase the university's appeal, permit the university to compete, academically and athletically, with larger state universities, and unify the non-LSU college network in Louisiana.

In the 10 years since, Cajuns fans, students, alumni and faculty have fought valiently and unsuccessfully to have the university recognized as the University of Louisiana, conventiently leaving out 'Lafayette.' In compliance with state law, the university must add AT LAFAYETTE on any university publication, diploma, etc. University officials say they only want to be called The University of Louisiana.

Well.

If the Cajuns want to be known as the University of Louisiana, they ought to act like it. Currently, the Cajuns are broadcast on radio (107.9 and 88.7) only in Lafayette, ensuring no one outside of the Acadiana area can hear Cajun athletics. The Cajuns need to be on radio, even rarely heard AM stations, in all areas of Louisiana in order for the university to justify the name University of Louisiana. Similarly, shows by coaches cannot be heard or watched in areas beyond Lafayette, an action which inhibits the idea of a University of Louisiana.

Cajuns athletics sponsors are often local entities, thereby limiting non-Lafayette residents' interest in Cajuns athletics. Though Home Bank, Baja Sports Grill and Flower companies are good sponsors, the Cajuns must adopt a more state-wide appeal by securing the sponsorship of 4 statewide companies and a national bank with branches throughout the state. At each office, Cajuns fans can pick up information on upcoming broadcasts, games and events for every sport. The four sponsors and the bank will be the main 5 sponsors for every sport, permanently linking the five companies and Ragin Cajuns athletics

Upon entry to the state of Louisiana or the Lafayette in car, bus or plane, a visitor sees nothing about the University. In order to have a legitimate claim on being the University of Louisiana, the Cajuns need to have billboards, traditional and digital, throughout larger cities in Louisiana, including New Orleans and Baton Rouge, along with large, prominently placed posters in airports (Oklahoma State has posters in the Dallas-Love Field airport). Furthermore, the Cajuns ought to try to get an airline (Continental, American, etc) to paint an airplane, which will be flown to and from Louisiana airports, with the Cajuns logo on it like Alaska Airlines has done for a few nothwestern universities (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/com.leet/Fleet.asp) (click on University of Oregon). There is currently no Ragin Cajun information available or product for sale at the Lafayette Regional Airport.

The Cajuns as an athletic program need to have a goal of being the second best program in Louisiana. LSU is the flagship and it's not going to change - deal with it. The Cajuns need to give Bustle a winnable schedule (they have never), and the men's basketball program needs to follow LSU's idea (which was promoted by this poster nearly 2-3 years ago): only schedule non-conference home games against beatable, in state programs. RPI takes a hit, but the team gets 7-8 wins.

Similarly, the Cajuns, in order to be the University of Louisiana, needs to expand its recruiting base beyond STM and New Iberia. Rickey Bustle is hamstrung by his contract (no longer available on Coacheshotseat) because it limits how many miles he can use on his car. This limits his recruiting scope, and his ability to promote the University of Louisiana. How can the university visit every high school in Louisiana if Bustle has limits on how far he can travel?

The university needs an organized Alumni Association to creat speaking and fundraising opportunities for coaches of athletic teams and university administrators. Southern Miss had two spring games in two places other than the university grounds to help promote the team throughout Mississippi. It would be difficult, because of a lack of organization and the university's desire to stay within the confines of Lafayette, to put on spring games in other areas or have speaking engagements outside of Lafayette. Organization throughout the state would help the Cajuns become the University of Louisiana.

Though it wants to be known as the University of Louisiana, and its fan get excited everytime a rarely read columnist (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusp.wednesday.html) writes U of L instead of UL(L), the Cajuns do nothing to invite the name University of Louisiana. There's nothing anywhere in Lafayette or Louisiana. As such, the Cajuns need to promote beyond Lafayette, even though the university does not promote in its own hometown, and beyond Acadiana to become the University of Louisiana.

The Cajuns can offer a great, inexpensive education, lifelong friendships and a good place to be a student athlete in the only worthwhile city in Louisiana (Lake Charles smells, no one cares about Alexandria or anything north, Baton Rouge is boring and New Orleans is under water). Cajuns fans often complain LSU defines UL as UL(L), but the Cajuns can, by following these suggestions, begin to take control of their image, and become the University of Louisiana, but only if they (the university and athletic department) act like it.

But, getting the University to promote itself in Lafayette in other areas, create long lasting relationships with statewide companies and get on radio, tv and print in other areas of Louisiana and Texas.pues, es más facíl pasar el niagara en bicicleta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4i7tbqKWp4

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TillmansNumber1 View Post
    _ In 1999, when USL was changed to University of Louisiana (Lafayette), Cajuns fans, students and alumni suggested the name change would drop the double directional name from the university, increase the university's appeal, permit the university to compete, academically and athletically, with larger state universities, and unify the non-LSU college network in Louisiana.

In the 10 years since, Cajuns fans, students, alumni and faculty have fought valiently and unsuccessfully to have the university recognized as the University of Louisiana, conventiently leaving out 'Lafayette.' In compliance with state law, the university must add AT LAFAYETTE on any university publication, diploma, etc. University officials say they only want to be called The University of Louisiana.

Well.

If the Cajuns want to be known as the University of Louisiana, they ought to act like it. Currently, the Cajuns are broadcast on radio (107.9 and 88.7) only in Lafayette, ensuring no one outside of the Acadiana area can hear Cajun athletics. The Cajuns need to be on radio, even rarely heard AM stations, in all areas of Louisiana in order for the university to justify the name University of Louisiana. Similarly, shows by coaches cannot be heard or watched in areas beyond Lafayette, an action which inhibits the idea of a University of Louisiana.

Cajuns athletics sponsors are often local entities, thereby limiting non-Lafayette residents' interest in Cajuns athletics. Though Home Bank, Baja Sports Grill and Flower companies are good sponsors, the Cajuns must adopt a more state-wide appeal by securing the sponsorship of 4 statewide companies and a national bank with branches throughout the state. At each office, Cajuns fans can pick up information on upcoming broadcasts, games and events for every sport. The four sponsors and the bank will be the main 5 sponsors for every sport, permanently linking the five companies and Ragin Cajuns athletics

Upon entry to the state of Louisiana or the Lafayette in car, bus or plane, a visitor sees nothing about the University. In order to have a legitimate claim on being the University of Louisiana, the Cajuns need to have billboards, traditional and digital, throughout larger cities in Louisiana, including New Orleans and Baton Rouge, along with large, prominently placed posters in airports (Oklahoma State has posters in the Dallas-Love Field airport). Furthermore, the Cajuns ought to try to get an airline (Continental, American, etc) to paint an airplane, which will be flown to and from Louisiana airports, with the Cajuns logo on it like Alaska Airlines has done for a few nothwestern universities (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/com.leet/Fleet.asp) (click on University of Oregon). There is currently no Ragin Cajun information available or product for sale at the Lafayette Regional Airport.

The Cajuns as an athletic program need to have a goal of being the second best program in Louisiana. LSU is the flagship and it's not going to change - deal with it. The Cajuns need to give Bustle a winnable schedule (they have never), and the men's basketball program needs to follow LSU's idea (which was promoted by this poster nearly 2-3 years ago): only schedule non-conference home games against beatable, in state programs. RPI takes a hit, but the team gets 7-8 wins.

Similarly, the Cajuns, in order to be the University of Louisiana, needs to expand its recruiting base beyond STM and New Iberia. Rickey Bustle is hamstrung by his contract (no longer available on Coacheshotseat) because it limits how many miles he can use on his car. This limits his recruiting scope, and his ability to promote the University of Louisiana. How can the university visit every high school in Louisiana if Bustle has limits on how far he can travel?

The university needs an organized Alumni Association to creat speaking and fundraising opportunities for coaches of athletic teams and university administrators. Southern Miss had two spring games in two places other than the university grounds to help promote the team throughout Mississippi. It would be difficult, because of a lack of organization and the university's desire to stay within the confines of Lafayette, to put on spring games in other areas or have speaking engagements outside of Lafayette. Organization throughout the state would help the Cajuns become the University of Louisiana.

Though it wants to be known as the University of Louisiana, and its fan get excited everytime a rarely read columnist (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusp.wednesday.html) writes U of L instead of UL(L), the Cajuns do nothing to invite the name University of Louisiana. There's nothing anywhere in Lafayette or Louisiana. As such, the Cajuns need to promote beyond Lafayette, even though the university does not promote in its own hometown, and beyond Acadiana to become the University of Louisiana.

The Cajuns can offer a great, inexpensive education, lifelong friendships and a good place to be a student athlete in the only worthwhile city in Louisiana (Lake Charles smells, no one cares about Alexandria or anything north, Baton Rouge is boring and New Orleans is under water). Cajuns fans often complain LSU defines UL as UL(L), but the Cajuns can, by following these suggestions, begin to take control of their image, and become the University of Louisiana, but only if they (the university and athletic department) act like it.

But, getting the University to promote itself in Lafayette in other areas, create long lasting relationships with statewide companies and get on radio, tv and print in other areas of Louisiana and Texas.pues, es más facíl pasar el niagara en bicicleta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4i7tbqKWp4 _

The "getting the university to promote itself in other areas" is a statement that certainly carries merit. However, I think that you are not correct or informed in many of your statements. First, we as fans and as a university are firmly aware that LSU is the flag ship university in this state and we have "dealt with it" and put it behind us. As a matter of fact, most of the true fans here don't expect nor possibly even want to be in the position where we are competing with LSU for that title. We strive to be the best this university could be academically and athletically. I think the true fans realize we will never be to that scale but we certainly can get bigger and better.

We do advertise through billboards and signage across town. Albeit, we do not do enough, this is also not the most efficient way of appealing to new fans and students. I don't think a donor is driving down congress street only to see the billboard of UL and say to himself, I think I'll donate 1$ million dollars today. Give me a break.

We do have an organized alumni association. Where have you been?

I haven't done the math but I'd say over 70% of our existing football team comes from areas outside of Louisiana much less the acadiana area. How can you make the comment that we need to recruit outside of schools like New Iberia and STM. I believe we only have 5 former STM players on our team and few from the New Iberia area. We recruit mainly out of Florida and Texas. That's done with a shallow recruiting budget compared to what many other universities recruit with.

You obviously don't know what it takes to make money in college football when you operate with such a limited athletic budget. We must play money games in order for financial payouts that fund the program. You may not like it but its a part of the business that almost EVERY team in America has to resort to or at least to some degree in order to fund. Even Southern Miss has to play the "money games" every season. Plus, if you want to be able to compete on a national level, which I think is completely fair to ask as a fan and should be achieved, you need to be able to win some of these games. That will surely get your name out as much as paying that rediculous amount for a billboard in texas or painting an airplane in New Orleans. Just ask Troy who has become a national player. They can compete at any level in football and I'm sure that has done the most for getting their name out.

I see the rationale behind promoting one's self outside of this area. I do. I think that is a good idea. I think that there is more than you see done in that department but I also think the university could do some more things efficiently to do this. However, when your budge is hamstrung by the state, you can only do so much as well. The beloved LSU does not really have this problem and likely never will.

3. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Can never be LSU is not a knock, but there is no reason UL can't be an Oklahoma State.

After the success Oklahoma had in the 40's and 50's and later why even try?

Because success is not a closed container and when the Oklahoma cup ranneth over OSU grabbed a shammy.

The thing I remember about when UL played OSU in the Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas era was that their games were broadcast on upwards of 20 radio stations.

igeaux.mobi

So, how long 'til football practice starts.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Because success is not a closed container and when the Oklahoma cup ranneth over OSU grabbed a shammy.
    I'm sure you mean a "ShamWow," right?

6. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Yes yes

That's what UL needs a 24/7 ever changing infomercial.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Can never be LSU is not a knock, but there is no reason UL can't be an Oklahoma State.

After the success Oklahoma had in the 40's and 50's and later why even try?

Because success is not a closed container and when the Oklahoma cup ranneth over OSU grabbed a shammy.

The thing I remember about when UL played OSU in the Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas era was that their games were broadcast on upwards of 20 radio stations.

igeaux.mobi _
    This has been my mantra for years nowI think the OP made some valid points. he does not have the insight nor do any of us, on what such a program would require from a $$$ standpoint. But there are "Free" outlets such as the radio coverage. I love Jay but I travel to and from Houston quite often. I cant catch KPEL until the 82 milemarker 18 miles from lafayette. How can we even attempt to be the University of La if people in Jennings cant even hear our games?? That is something that can be done without a lot of $$$. Sure our "supporters" at KPEL will not be happy but thats been the problem around here for a long time. we dont "rock the boat" with those that have been in the administrations back pocket for years.

It takes some leadership and I have not seen anything new since T-Joe has assumed office nothing. People if you want change you have to rock the boat. Those of us on this site know what happens when you DARE to suggest a change in coaching or in the AD office after years of mediocrity. The fangs come out.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I can understand the sentiment of the lead post, but the name change initiative had little to do with athletics by the administration that battled for it. The name change in 1984, when I was a student, was supported by that administration for academic and research benefits that would result. It probably helped.

That administration did not see the academic benefit for a state university to dominate in athletics. We definitely did not "act like it" in athletics, administratively. I think we have been progressive with the name change in most respects other than athletics. Hopefully, we have learned from that terrible mistake. We have no more political authority in this state than we did when we were SLI.

9. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Does anyone else notice that the same topics seem to be discussed over and over again on this board?

It appears to me, as an outsider with a connection to UL, that most posters are focused on:

Becoming the University of LA

Finding some way to excuse the lackluster sports program

Blaming or degrading LSU for various problems or perceptions?

Does anyone ever just post about the positives of UL or reasons to support UL?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunnexile View Post
    _ Does anyone else notice that the same topics seem to be discussed over and over again on this board?

It appears to me, as an outsider with a connection to UL, that most posters are focused on:

Does anyone ever just post about the positives of UL or reasons to support UL? _
    Don't forget uniforms!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunnexile View Post
    _ Does anyone else notice that the same topics seem to be discussed over and over again on this board?

Does anyone ever just post about the positives of UL or reasons to support UL? _
    Nope, we just LOVE to whine & cry!

Let me ask you, what is wrong with #1? I disagree with your #2. In fact it is often just the opposite - many people on here are very upset with the "lackluster sports program" we have. #3, well, I too, think we spend far too much time on this topic, but the fact is LSU has often bent over backwards to "keep us in our (subservient) place". That does not apply to all of their fans, but a very large percentage of them IMHO. The good news: TAF folks have been very helpful, from what I have heard, in getting our RCAF up and running. I don't expect LSU's help on most things any more than I would generally expect help from any of the other state schools. Just that we don't need all of the obstacles placed in front of us by many of their legislative supporters.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Nope, we just LOVE to whine & cry!

Let me ask you, what is wrong with #1? I disagree with your #2. In fact it is often just the opposite - many people on here are very upset with the "lackluster sports program" we have. #3, well, I too, think we spend far too much time on this topic, but the fact is LSU has often bent over backwards to "keep us in our (subservient) place". That does not apply to all of their fans, but a very large percentage of them IMHO. The good news: TAF folks have been very helpful, from what I have heard, in getting our RCAF up and running. I don't expect LSU's help on most things any more than I would generally expect help from any of the other state schools. Just that we don't need all of the obstacles placed in front of us by many of their legislative supporters. _
    Easy Fan2, just because his handle is cajunnexile, that doesnt mean that he is actually a CAJUN n exile.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Easy Fan2, just because his handle is cajunnexile, that doesnt mean that he is actually a CAJUN n exile. _
    Yeah, I kinda thought that myself.

One thing I noticed while traveling in Waco this past weekend was the huge support for that university in the city. Now, I know Baylor is a Big 12 school with a lot more money than UL, but I wouldn't think Waco is more prosperous than Lafayette. The cities are very similar and just judging by the places I visited (mall, restaurants, hotels) Lafayette is superior in most aspects.

Getting back to the support though, there are tons of signage all over town promoting Baylor athletics. Whether it's a billboard with the softball and baseball teams represented with the number to get tickets or a billboard with the football teams, you could see that Waco is squarely behind Baylor.

Even the restaurants I visited were very "Green and Gold". One place in particular was decked out in Green and Gold, tons of old photos of past players, banners from NCAA regionals, tournaments, etc. Other than Pete's and maybe Baja now, I had a hard time coming up with a place in Lafayette that had a similar environment for UL.

Stevie P and I had the discussion while we were dining at said establishment and we came up with the logical reason that Lafayette businesses are, for the most part, afraid to cast their lot with UL and, in effect, shun LSU. I think most business owners/managers in Lafayette don't want to "pick sides" with either team, so they try to walk the fine line.

Maybe they're afraid to lose their LSU customers. But I would imagine plenty of Waco residents are Texas fans or A&M fans. In fact, I saw a lot of people walking around with UT and eATMe hats and shirts. Yet, Waco doesn't seem to be opposed to getting behind their local school, as far as their businesses are concerned.

Then again, maybe the Baylor PR machine is much more powerful than UL's PR machine. Maybe money really does talk. But Waco's not the only place I've noticed this. Lake Charles has lots of billboards promoting McNeese athletics. Hell, didn't McNeese alumni have a billboard in Lafayette promoting "McNeese's big game" at Cajun Field?

I guess Lafayette is just not one of those cities like Waco or Lake Chuck. I guess Lafayette is truly a "house divided" among LSU and UL fans. And that's not to blame LSU, so don't think this is another "LSU is the devil" rants. I think it's partially the university's fault for not going out and promoting the hell out of the programs. And I think it's the businesses' fault for not stepping up to the plate and supporting the local university.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch24 View Post
    _ One thing I noticed while traveling in Waco this past weekend was the huge support for that university in the city. Now, I know Baylor is a Big 12 school with a lot more money than UL, but I wouldn't think Waco is more prosperous than Lafayette. The cities are very similar and just judging by the places I visited (mall, restaurants, hotels) Lafayette is superior in most aspects.

Getting back to the support though, there are tons of signage all over town promoting Baylor athletics. Whether it's a billboard with the softball and baseball teams represented with the number to get tickets or a billboard with the football teams, you could see that Waco is squarely behind Baylor.

Even the restaurants I visited were very "Green and Gold". One place in particular was decked out in Green and Gold, tons of old photos of past players, banners from NCAA regionals, tournaments, etc. Other than Pete's and maybe Baja now, I had a hard time coming up with a place in Lafayette that had a similar environment for UL.

Stevie P and I had the discussion while we were dining at said establishment and we came up with the logical reason that Lafayette businesses are, for the most part, afraid to cast their lot with UL and, in effect, shun LSU. I think most business owners/managers in Lafayette don't want to "pick sides" with either team, so they try to walk the fine line.

Maybe they're afraid to lose their LSU customers. But I would imagine plenty of Waco residents are Texas fans or A&M fans. In fact, I saw a lot of people walking around with UT and eATMe hats and shirts. Yet, Waco doesn't seem to be opposed to getting behind their local school, as far as their businesses are concerned.

Then again, maybe the Baylor PR machine is much more powerful than UL's PR machine. Maybe money really does talk. But Waco's not the only place I've noticed this. Lake Charles has lots of billboards promoting McNeese athletics. Hell, didn't McNeese alumni have a billboard in Lafayette promoting "McNeese's big game" at Cajun Field?

I guess Lafayette is just not one of those cities like Waco or Lake Chuck. I guess Lafayette is truly a "house divided" among LSU and UL fans. And that's not to blame LSU, so don't think this is another "LSU is the devil" rants. I think it's partially the university's fault for not going out and promoting the hell out of the programs. And I think it's the businesses' fault for not stepping up to the plate and supporting the local university. _
    "Then again, maybe the Baylor PR machine is much more powerful than UL's PR machine. Maybe money really does talk. But Waco's not the only place I've noticed this. Lake Charles has lots of billboards promoting McNeese athletics. Hell, didn't McNeese alumni have a billboard in Lafayette promoting "McNeese's big game" at Cajun Field?"

Yes, but many of their fans are LSU fans as well. I noticed many bumpers at Cajun Field that had McNeese on one sticker and LSU on another opposite side. I observed the same thing in Sulphur while attending the state softball championships.

You do see similar things at UL events,but for the most part not nearly the numbers. I've seen it mostly at UL baseball games. There are a number of fans that have a UL baseball sticker on one side on the window and LSU or TAFF on the other side of the window.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information