Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

If we are simply trying to go by Louisiana due to the legality of it then we should start printing memorabelia w/ just "L" on it. Something that looks similar to our numbers.

Forgive memy artistic abilities are lacking.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Well, please explain how this was "thought through" since after 9 years, we still don't have a singular identity. Dr. A apparently wanted the name change for academics, which I understand, as it is a vast improvement over Southwestern Louisiana. The fact that he struck a deal to allow ULM's admission into the SBC so we could get the name change (everyone saw that emerging problem from a naming standpoint that ULM continues to fight to this day), took no stance on what we were to be called, our alumni continue to squabble over our name as we are doing here, and 9 years later we still don't have clear direction from Martin Hall as to what we are to be called athletically. We have an athletic department that is starting to push the envelope on UL and Louisiana, but we can't buy UL or Louisiana gear because of our internal name cop, Julie Dronet (doesn't she work under th President, so why isn't she given better direction). We continue to be called by every possible name in the book on a national level. We see one publication like Phil Steele call us Louisiana on our schedule (but Louisiana Lft. on our team page) and we think our identity problem is solved.

We obtained the University of Louisiana name in 1984. Just coincidentally with our Centennial celebration, we opted for a University of Louisiana at Lafayette name by jumping into bed with UL Monroe who today remains our biggest enemy in our identity struggle. Did we think that because we once had the Unversity of Louisiana name for a brief period that everyone would automatically say we deserve the name today, despite the law? I certainly could be wrong, but I see nothing that would change my opinion that this was thought through from an athletic standpoint which is really where the university's identity is derived. If it had been, we wouldn't be having this discussion today. _
    We got screwed in 1984 by a rigged state court, everyone without a bias knows that. It was also 25 years ago.

The provisions of the name change law were unquestionably a huge compromise to appease the State people who want no other school to rise up in Louisiana, the McNeese people who want no one else to rise up in Louisiana, and so on and so on.

The fact that we even got the chance at all to go to "The University of Louisiana @ Lafayette" is a a freaking miracle. So, why do you say it was not "thought out"??? A "debacle"?

This is all total BS anyway. Our popular names are "Louisiana" and "UL" and nobody will change that or take it away. It's a purely a matter of self-determination.

Just look at "UAB". They are not "The University of Alabama at Birmingham" or "UA-Birmingham" or "Alabama-Birmingham", they are "UAB".

They are "UAB" because they say so. Of all the choices, they chose "UAB". Story ended.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ We got screwed in 1984 by a rigged state court, everyone without a bias knows that. It was also 25 years ago.

The provisions of the name change law were unquestionably a huge compromise to appease the State people who want no other school to rise up in Louisiana, the McNeese people who want no one else to rise up in Louisiana, and so on and so on.

The fact that we even got the chance at all to go to "The University of Louisiana @ Lafayette" is a a freaking miracle. So, why do you say it was not "thought out"??? A "debacle"?

This is all total BS anyway. Our popular names are "Louisiana" and "UL" and nobody will change that or take it away. It's a purely a matter of self-determination.

Just look at "UAB". They are not "The University of Alabama at Birmingham" or "UA-Birmingham" or "Alabama-Birmingham", they are "UAB".

They are "UAB" because they say so. Of all the choices, they chose "UAB". Story ended. _
    I don't think that's the same. If you are comparing us to UAB then IMO you are saying we should be called ULL not UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette.

You say our popular names are "Louisiana" and "UL" yet all of our memorabelia says we are "UL Lafayette." Until that changes and people quite wearing things that say "Lafayette" on them the public perception (outside or Lafayette) will be that we are UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette. It's is mostly on our administration to allow vendors to print things that simply say "UL" or "Louisiana" without Lafayette or the 's.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    _ I don't think that's the same. If you are comparing us to UAB then IMO you are saying we should be called UL not UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette.

You say our popular names are "Louisiana" and "UL" yet all of our memorabelia says we are "UL Lafayette." Until that changes and people quite wearing things that say "Lafayette" on them the public perception (outside or Lafayette) will be that we are UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette. It's is mostly on our administration to allow vendors to print things that simply say "UL" or "Louisiana" without Lafayette or the 's. _

You are exactly right and that is my point. After 9 years of this crap, it is time for our new President to either declare us to be Louisiana and UL or drop the charade. Let's quit having this rediculous identity problem. Make the statement, notify the media, print the new gear, and let's move on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ You are exactly right and that is my point. After 9 years of this crap, it is time for our new President to either declare us to be Louisiana and UL or drop the charade. Let's quit having this rediculous identity problem. Make the statement, notify the media, print the new gear, and let's move on with it. _
    I agree

_ I don't think that's the same. If you are comparing us to UAB then IMO you are saying we should be called UL not UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette.

You say our popular names are "Louisiana" and "UL" yet all of our memorabelia says we are "UL Lafayette." Until that changes and people quite wearing things that say "Lafayette" on them the public perception (outside or Lafayette) will be that we are UL Lafayette or Louisiana Lafayette. It's is mostly on our administration to allow vendors to print things that simply say "UL" or "Louisiana" without Lafayette or the 's. _
    Maybe you just missed my point. We are "Louisiana" and "UL" because that is what we chose JUST AS UAB fans chose UAB from all the possibles.

"UAB" is just an example. Who decided on "ULM"?

I don't care how many peope call us "Lafayette" or whatever else, it changes nothing.

_ Maybe you just missed my point. We are "Louisiana" and "UL" because that is what we chose JUST AS UAB fans chose UAB from all the possibles.

"UAB" is just an example. Who decided on "ULM"?

I don't care how many peope call us "Lafayette" or whatever else, it changes nothing. _
    But UAB and ULM are their official abbreviation for the name given to them by the state. Much like UL is the abbreviation for our official name.

If everyone outside of Lafayette calls us UL L, UL Lafayette, etc. then nationally we will be known as those names, not what we few fans in Lafayette want to be called.

_ But UAB and ULM are their official abbreviation for the name given to them by the state. Much like UL is the abbreviation for our official name.

If everyone outside of Lafayette calls us UL, UL Lafayette, etc. then nationally we will be known as those names, not what we few fans in Lafayette want to be called. _

This site is rigged to not allow UL L to show up as a continue word, that is why only UL shows up where you typed UL L. That is why I put a space between the L's when I want to reference UL L. Otherwise, it sometimes makes no sense.

_
    I don't care how many peope call us "Lafayette" or whatever else, it changes nothing. _
    That is where you are wrong. If 99 out of 100 people call me Mike instead of Michael then my name is Mike. Now I can change that by having all of my correspondence/cards say Michael. Over time if all anyone saw or heard was Michael, then it would become my most used name. However, if I responded to emails and the like with Mike, then I would get people calling me by both names.

Right now we get the Lafayette and the extra L because the University promotes those names. Don't believe me, get some correspondence from the University or go to the Union to buy some clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ That is where you are wrong. If 99 out of 100 people call me Mike instead of Michael then my name is Mike. Now I can change that by having all of my correspondence/cards say Michael. Over time if all anyone saw or heard was Michael, then it would become my most used name. However, if I responded to emails and the like with Mike, then I would get people calling me by both names.

Right now we get the Lafayette and the extra L because the University promotes those names. Don't believe me, get some correspondence from the University or go to the Union to buy some clothing. _

This is true. On some things the "LAFAYETTE" is written as big as the "UL" or "LOUISIANA." I personally refuse to buy these products but then that leaves me with buying things that say "Ragin' Cajuns" only w/o the presence of Louisiana or UL. I could buy something that says "LOUISIANA'S" but that might be the worst one.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Guys, we have an official name and that is all that "the president" can legally support on official university documentation. It is not time, nor will it likely ever, to take this issue up with the state. again. We are not going to defy the legal requirements. We have the right to call ourselves just about anything we want. and others can call us whatever they want. The general consensus among students and alumni many years ago, during the battle, was to call ourselves UL. We are not waffling by the chosen name being different than the official name. It is simply our chosen name. I liken our name being "UL" similar to the University of Alabama calling themselves "Bama". or University of Mississippi calling themselves "Ole Miss". Those names came about over time. They are not criticisms, nor did they replace the official name. The "likeness" is only skin deep. we literally mean what our chosen name implies.

I'm also not offended by outsiders who look up our name and use the longer version. We simply need to take our programs to a higher level of excellence and once that happens, requests to use our chosen name will be honored.

I think our uniforms have been a little better thought out. I think our merchandizing has been a little whacky. I still believe that our best tool for university name "recognizability", nationally, is to keep the uniform and merchandizing "UL Ragin Cajuns" and "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns". That is the way you get the chosen name to slip off tongues of the public outside of Louisiana.

But again. the biggest key is to grow a much stronger athletic system that regularly maintains post-season opportunities. Nothing in sports does more than post-season appearances. eventually the only thing I want to haggle with you guys about is how deep we go in post-season. not whether we go.

_ That is where you are wrong. If 99 out of 100 people call me Mike instead of Michael then my name is Mike. Now I can change that by having all of my correspondence/cards say Michael. Over time if all anyone saw or heard was Michael, then it would become my most used name. However, if I responded to emails and the like with Mike, then I would get people calling me by both names.

Right now we get the Lafayette and the extra L because the University promotes those names. Don't believe me, get some correspondence from the University or go to the Union to buy some clothing. _

The most recent correspondence I have from the university, specifically from Scott Farmer of the ADept, contains two name references - "UL" and "University of Louisiana". That must be who we are.

The fight song says UL. Why would it say UL if we were not UL?

Ragin' Cajuns Fight Song

Fight on, Cajuns, fight on to victory
    For the Red and White,
    We will sing of triumph and glory,
    For our team tonight,
    You will hear the rage of the Cajuns,
    So let's give a yell, (AHH-YEE)
    Hustle up and bustle up and
    Fight on to victory - GEAUX U L!

Come on guys, if you want to take the attitude we're doing nothing then say that. Just don't ignore what is actually happening.

_ The most recent correspondence I have from the university, specifically from Scott Farmer of the ADept, contains two name references - "UL" and "University of Louisiana". That must be who we are.

The fight song says UL. Why would it say UL if we were not UL?

Ragin' Cajuns Fight Song

Fight on, Cajuns, fight on to victory
    For the Red and White,
    We will sing of triumph and glory,
    For our team tonight,
    You will hear the rage of the Cajuns,
    So let's give a yell, (AHH-YEE)
    Hustle up and bustle up and
    Fight on to victory - GEAUX U L!

Come on guys, if you want to take the attitude we're doing nothing then say that. Just don't ignore what is actually happening. _
    I have a multiple shirts with UL Lafayette. My wife has a shirt bought at the game that says "Louisiana Lafayette Football". I get mailers from the University that call us these names. I had 5 out of 6 UL students refer to their University as UL_L or UL Lafayette when I interviewed there.

Why would it say UL Lafayette if we are not UL Lafayette?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Guys, we have an official name and that is all that "the president" can legally support on official university documentation. It is not time, nor will it likely ever, to take this issue up with the state. again. We are not going to defy the legal requirements. We have the right to call ourselves just about anything we want. and others can call us whatever they want. The general consensus among students and alumni many years ago, during the battle, was to call ourselves UL. We are not waffling by the chosen name being different than the official name. It is simply our chosen name. I liken our name being "UL" similar to the University of Alabama calling themselves "Bama". or University of Mississippi calling themselves "Ole Miss". Those names came about over time. They are not criticisms, nor did they replace the official name. The "likeness" is only skin deep. we literally mean what our chosen name implies.

I'm also not offended by outsiders who look up our name and use the longer version. We simply need to take our programs to a higher level of excellence and once that happens, requests to use our chosen name will be honored.

I think our uniforms have been a little better thought out. I think our merchandizing has been a little whacky. I still believe that our best tool for university name "recognizability", nationally, is to keep the uniform and merchandizing "UL Ragin Cajuns" and "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns". That is the way you get the chosen name to slip off tongues of the public outside of Louisiana.

But again. the biggest key is to grow a much stronger athletic system that regularly maintains post-season opportunities. Nothing in sports does more than post-season appearances. eventually the only thing I want to haggle with you guys about is how deep we go in post-season. not whether we go. _
    I'm sure Mississippi had no legal opposition when they started using Ole Miss and they were able to print in on any and everything they wanted to. Same goes for Alabama. There is no legal issue involved. Unfortunately for us it is a legal issue that is holding us up. I'm sure if we wanted to call ourselves "The Lou" or, even though it's a joke by some, Ooh La La, we would have no oposition from ULM, LSU, LaTex, etc. That because they are not illegal. People keep printing the law on here stating that we are able to use "Louisiana" but not "UL" w/o the "Lafayette" but there must be something we are missing because we don't do it. We are still either using the "Lafayette" or adding the 's.

I do agree with you that recognition will come with post season sucess but what will they call us when we do have that success? I'm willing to bet that the announcer and the television will say UL L or some sort of variation. I'm sure our SID and AD will tell them what to call us but it will be up to Julie Dronet to say that they MUST call us "UL" or "Louisiana."

_ The name thing is a debacle. In Lafayette UL is the entrenched name. In BR, NOLA, Lake Chuck & Shreveport UL_L is the entrenched name. To the national media we are any number of acronyms. Goggle us and you will get 4-5 different names. This is a problem! I have given up on the UL thing b/c no one knows who I am talking about. If they do, there next comment will be "why do they have so many different names?" For that reason I hate HouCajuns LU idea. That is all we need, another acronym to confuse the hell out of people!

I feel sorry for HoustonCajun and the like b/c they want somthing that will probably never happen. Like it or not we are a school with 5 different names, all being promoted at the same time. _
    I said earlier that I have just accepted the Louisiana Lafayette monkier. If you want an identity then just go with University of Louisiana at Lafayette or ULL. That is what ESPN and other media outlets are going to use so we might as well just accept it and move on. If you go with ULL alone that will eliminate any confusion. You can then sell merchanise under one name. I know it sounds small time but like I posted earlier that doesn't bother UCLA!!! You have to earn the respect and calling ourselves the University of Louisiana is not going to give us instant respect. Money is not going to roll in because of a name you have to earn the respect. Harvard and Yale were looked upon as small time by the great universities of Europe. Over time they earned the respect and the funding they enjoy today. The complaining of our name for over 20 years has produced what? NOTHING the name is the same in fact there is even more confusion. We keep trying to force the name down people's throat maybe we need to change tactics and back off. Who knows over time that extra L may get dropped.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information