Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _

Over the course of our discussion I suggested that they use UL with the city tag spelled out if they felt they couldn't accomodate our (the fans) wish to use UL. He basically admitted that the paper's policy was that they would use the three letter designation regardless of the university asking for it not to be used.

My point in replying to you on this is that it isn't paranoia if they really are after you. ._
    As in this headline from the Advocate: "UL-Lafayette opens Sun Belt play with win"? Or this one: "UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe ready for SBC tourney"? Or this one: "Baylor beats UL-Lafayette to win regional"?

How, to be fair to your "paranoia", I say that in humor and with a wink, there are headlines with "ULL", "Louisiana-Lafayette", and "Cajuns". So, the Advocate seems to be a mixed bag of results for you, but they seem to have at least partially met your rathers.yes?

If all is as you say and I'm sure it is, then it appears Lewis had a slant to his story in mind before the discussions with you guys and your term for the story seems correct.

BTW, the Advocate penned at least 14 stories bout your school from 5-16 thru 5-24. Far more than on any other school in this state but LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ As in this headline from the Advocate: "UL-Lafayette opens Sun Belt play with win"? Or this one: "UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe ready for SBC tourney"? Or this one: "Baylor beats UL-Lafayette to win regional"?

How, to be fair to your "paranoia", I say that in humor and with a wink, there are headlines with "ULL", "Louisiana-Lafayette", and "Cajuns". So, the Advocate seems to be a mixed bag of results for you, but they seem to have at least partially met your rathers.yes?

If all is as you say and I'm sure it is, then it appears Lewis had a slant to his story in mind before the discussions with you guys and your term for the story seems correct.

BTW, the Advocate penned at least 14 stories bout your school from 5-16 thru 5-24. Far more than on any other school in this state but LSU. _
    True, the Advocate does give the most coverage of UL outside of Lafayette. Of course they also market an "Acadiana" edition and have a bureau here so you would expect some coverage. And while they do use "UL Lafayette" they still use the three letter abbreviation repeatedly. The point I was making with Rabalais was that while not what we fans would like to see it would still be in keeping with the university's request if they would use "UL Lafayette" instead of any use of the three letter designation. But they ignore those wishes.

Again, my point is we are not totally off base in our thinking towards the state media as your initial post implied or suggested.

Many intelligent thoughts and responses have been posted to the original thread. As is usually the case, the debate drifted to a UL over Louisiana'a Ragin Cajuns, even though the original thread had absolutely nothing to do with the name debate. The concern about the name in local areas only reinforces the main point of the original post: The Cajuns are far too focused on local, when they want to be the university of the entire state.

If the Cajuns want to be known as the University of Louisiana, and it seems at least their fans do, each decision made from an athletic and marketing standpoint, must reinforce the Cajuns status as the University of Louisiana, and must grow the image of the University of Louisiana.

As it stands, though the Cajuns want to be known as the University of Louisiana, and have part of their goal (University of Louisiana) in their name, the Cajuns do many things which send the following message: a good, local, four year university in Lafayette.

When the Cajuns mention, during their athletic games, only local sponsors which can only serve local patrons, the Cajuns send the following message: a good, local, four year university in Lafayette.

SOLUTION: Develop a five year contract with five Louisiana wide businesses (4 businesses and a bank, each with branches throughout Louisiana). At each branch, information about Cajuns athletic events, including chances to purchase tickets, merchandise, and donate money, will be available. At all Cajun sporting events, only the logos on these five companies will be visible, connecting the Cajuns (athletically and academically) to the following 5 businesses in Lafayette and Louisiana. The Cajuns might get shut out of Baton Rouge. OK, then move to surrounding suburbs. If this is the University of Louisiana, fans throughout the state need to be able to get information beyond visiting the website.

When the Cajuns have commercials on ESPN, like during the 2006 football game (A 6-3 win) in Florida, which have a female with a thick Cajun accent saying, "All my friends go here," the Cajuns send the following message: a good, local, four year university in Lafayette.

SOLUTION: Promote the University in a broader sense to a wider audience. Lafayette born and raised students and student athletes attending the university does not hurt the university, but this is the University of Louisiana, and not a four year university in Lafayette. The Cajuns need a larger presence throughout the state, using billboards in larger cities, commercials at local movie theatres, commercials on local radio stations, and constant contact with principals of Louisiana high schools. The few times the Cajuns are on national or regional TV, the commercials need to promote the University's status as the University of the entire status. Goodbye girl with thick, regional accent. Hello, broad mix of races, backgrounds, hometowns (throughout LA and the southern region) and welcome to being the University of Louisiana -- the entire state.

When the Cajuns games are only available on Lafayette radio and TV stations, the Cajuns send the following message: a good, local, four year university in Lafayette.

SOLUTION: The Cajuns need to get on radio stations in every large city in Louisiana, and try to snag some in Texas. AM works, too, for recruits, their parents and coaches. This is the University of Louisiana (the entire state) and currently games are only available in Lafayette. Worried about non-Lafayette radio stations saying what about sponsorship? The new five year contract with 5 Louisiana wide businesses means the businesses will have branches in the cities where the Cajuns want to broadcast. Connects local branch with university and brings advertising dollars to radio station in non-Lafayette town.

When tickets to athletic events can only be purchased in person at the Cajundome, ticket renewals still have be snailmailed, and RCAF donations must be check only, the Cajuns send the following message: a good, local, four year university in Lafayette.

SOLUTION: Tickets to all events must be available for purchase online. Tickets, depending on the day of purchase, can be mailed or picked up at the game. Ticket renewals can be made by email, phone or snailmail and credit and debit cards must be accepted. Furthermore, ticket renewals or new season ticket purchases must be confirmed early. A friend, after a poor Cajuns baseball season, wants to be baseball season tickets. He was informed by the university he would know in December if he got tickets. For the Cajuns' sake, this poster hopes the fan doesn't find something else on which to spend his money. The Cajuns might lose 2 season ticket purchases for this season and 2 or 3 to come. Lastly, donations to RCAF must be available in all forms: cash, check, credit and debit. If RCAF is to help the Cajuns fund their underfunded program, money must be accepted in all forms.

A name change alters the letterhead of a university, jerseys and also the responsibilities of the University. USL, the university where STM and Lafayette Public school students attended, is now the University of Louisiana -- the entire state. The University now -- if it really wants to be the University of Louisiana and doesn't want only the name -- must serve all of and promote to all of Louisiana.

Unfortunately, little has changed from USL (The women's basketball gym STILL has Southwestern above it). The Cajuns are still local in broadcast and scope, and there is nothing outside of Lafayette promoting the University of Louisiana.

Being the University for the entire state is a large undertaking. It doesn't happen with just a name change. If the Cajuns really want the UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA tag without at Lafayette, the Cajuns now have different obligations and responsibilities. Sadly, from the looks of it, the University and the athletic and marketing department may not be prepared emotionally, psycholigically or strategically to be the UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA.

Until it is prepared to embrace that role, the Cajuns will still be what many people think the university currently is based on the messages the University sends: a good, local, four year university and not the University of Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by racajun54 View Post
    _ I try to be and thank you. Don't get me wrong I think sports are an important part of any instution of higher learning and you are right one about the Ivy League. Sports did keep them at the fore front for many years because in their time they were the LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. of that era. I just meant it took many years for them to gain respect and they didn't do it by having a certain name. Many alumni and supporters of UL just put way too much emphasis on a name and need to put that energy into other areas of support for the school. We should just use UL or Louisiana Lafayette and move on. _
    I think we should push THE Louisiana.kind of like THE Ohio State. Outsiders (except for ULM) seem to be ok with calling us Louisiana. I also like UL. JMO but i like how that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ I think we should push THE Louisiana.kind of like THE Ohio State. Outsiders (except for ULM) seem to be ok with calling us Louisiana. I also like UL. JMO but i like how that sounds. _
    MissingMandy, we are committed to the use of "Louisiana" now. You may see UL used in Sun Belt stories, legally we cannot use the term. There has been too much work done behind the scenes to move on to a new name that some on this web site want. Its a little too late for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ MissingMandy, we are committed to the use of "Louisiana" now. You may see UL used in Sun Belt stories, legally we cannot use the term. There has been too much work done behind the scenes to move on to a new name that some on this web site want. Its a little too late for that now. _
    I understand.

7. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

here's my opinion on this You say you want to me 2nd biggest in the state and be like Oklahoma state or Michigan state, the thing isLa Tech and Tulane fans are saying the exact same thing. You are all going to keep canceling yourselves out. I think Tech has the best chance to do that (due to geography), but I dont think it will ever happen.

I think you should stivem to be more like a Southern Miss or Memphis type program. You guys are setting the bar too high and it is only going to lead to failure. This state is too much for LSU and has too many more programs in the same situation for you to be on level with an Oklahoma state.

UL is Louisville to me and for most of the country. No matter what you do, you are marketing a name that already exists. I think USL is a lot better and is unique only to your school. Maybe even refer to yourselves as Lafayette, but I think USL is better. I understand where you guys are coming from wanting to call yourselves UL, but whether you like it or not, you are a regional school ( you rarely see Cajun stuff outside of the acadiana area).The region you are in is one of the most unique in the country, embrace it and be USL dont copy Louisville. That's an outsider's opinion

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8

Thread Information