Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by racajun54 View Post
    _ I said earlier that I have just accepted the Louisiana Lafayette monkier. If you want an identity then just go with University of Louisiana at Lafayette or UL. That is what ESPN and other media outlets are going to use so we might as well just accept it and move on. If you go with UL alone that will eliminate any confusion. You can then sell merchanise under one name. I know it sounds small time but like I posted earlier that doesn't bother UCLA!!! You have to earn the respect and calling ourselves the University of Louisiana is not going to give us instant respect. Money is not going to roll in because of a name you have to earn the respect. Harvard and Yale were looked upon as small time by the great universities of Europe. Over time they earned the respect and the funding they enjoy today. The complaining of our name for over 20 years has produced what? NOTHING the name is the same in fact there is even more confusion. We keep trying to force the name down people's throat maybe we need to change tactics and back off. Who knows over time that extra L may get dropped. _
    Harvard was never Harvard University at Cambridge or Harvard-Cambridge or HUC. We all agree that winning needs to happen and we need to be successful. The point I and others are making is that when success does come, it needs to come under the right name. The longer we are entrenched as UL L and Louisiana Lafayette, the harder it will be to become recognized as Louisiana and UL or LU or L. Our complaining is because our administration takes no positive stance one way or another. It lets our SID use Louisiana and UL on releases, then Julie Dronet won't let us use that on caps and t shirts. The inconsistency and lack of a policy are what are killling us. We won't get instant success from being known as Louisiana and UL. But, when success does come, we will achieve it with a clear identity of who we are and with a name that is more reflective of our university.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Harvard was never Harvard University at Cambridge or Harvard-Cambridge or HUC. We all agree that winning needs to happen and we need to be successful. The point I and others are making is that when success does come, it needs to come under the right name. The longer we are entrenched as UL L and Louisiana Lafayette, the harder it will be to become recognized as Louisiana and UL or LU or L. Our complaining is because our administration takes no positive stance one way or another. It lets our SID use Louisiana and UL on releases, then Julie Dronet won't let us use that on caps and t shirts. The inconsistency and lack of a policy are what are kiLing us. We won't get instant success from being known as Louisiana and UL. But, when success does come, we will achieve it with a clear identity of who we are and with a name that is more reflective of our university. _
    Well said and I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I have stated before the only way to claim the Louisiana name is through an official university press release and subsequent marketing campaign. The SID telling Nebraska or the SunBelt office to call us Louisiana is not going to cut it. Anything less than this and we will be having these same conversations 10 years from now. On the LU thing, I am just sick of our constant name changes. Changing to LU would look pretty pathetic in my book.
    There has been some progress in recent weeks in regards to how the Sun Belt office and other conference schools refer to us. Of course it may not ever occur with the instate SBC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    There has been some progress in recent weeks in regards to how the Sun Belt office and other conference schools refer to us. Of course it may not ever occur with the instate SBC schools. _
    Of course there has been major progress and it continues as evidenced by the numerous examples several of us have provided. Having said that, I have no reason to expect attitudes at "the Advocate" or with the Lake Charles and Monroe crowds to ever change. Won't happen so why sweat it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Of course there has been major progress and it continues as evidenced by the numerous examples several of us have provided. Having said that, I have no reason to expect attitudes at "the Advocate" or with the Lake Charles and Monroe crowds to ever change. Won't happen so why sweat it.
    The doughnut around UL will be a hard nut to crack, but beyond that the world is UL's oyster.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Harvard was never Harvard University at Cambridge or Harvard-Cambridge or HUC. We all agree that winning needs to happen and we need to be successful. The point I and others are making is that when success does come, it needs to come under the right name. The longer we are entrenched as UL L and Louisiana Lafayette, the harder it will be to become recognized as Louisiana and UL or LU or L. Our complaining is because our administration takes no positive stance one way or another. It lets our SID use Louisiana and UL on releases, then Julie Dronet won't let us use that on caps and t shirts. The inconsistency and lack of a policy are what are kiLing us. We won't get instant success from being known as Louisiana and UL. But, when success does come, we will achieve it with a clear identity of who we are and with a name that is more reflective of our university. _
    I guess I am going to have to explain this a little better. Its not about the name its about earning a respect no matter what you call yourself. My point about Harvard and Yale wasn't about the name its about respect and reputation which you earn over a long period of time. So many people on here believe that some how if we are called the University of Louisiana we will automatically gain that respect. Well that's not the way it works. This isn't McDonald's were you just drive up and get what you want. You have to earn it so quit worrying about the name. Accept UL/L and move on toward gaining respect not just in athletics but in the most important area and what a university is for academics. So many people associated with UL/L spend way too much time on the name and not on what can make the university better in all areas. If they put this much effort into athletics as they do with the name the football team would go 12-0 and the basketball team would win the national championship. ULL should just go with UL/L on everything and worry about more important matters.

7. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

_ I guess I am going to have to explain this a little better. Its not about the name its about earning a respect no matter what you call yourself. My point about Harvard and Yale wasn't about the name its about respect and reputation which you earn over a long period of time. So many people on here believe that some how if we are called the University of Louisiana we will automatically gain that respect. Well that's not the way it works. This isn't McDonald's were you just drive up and get what you want. You have to earn it so quit worrying about the name. Accept UL and move on toward gaining respect not just in athletics but in the most important area and what a university is for academics. So many people associated with UL spend way too much time on the name and not on what can make the university better in all areas. If they put this much effort into athletics as they do with the name the football team would go 12-0 and the basketball team would win the national championship. ULL should just go with UL on everything and worry about more important matters. _
    I enjoy your posts and see you as a voice of reason.

One thing many may not realize is how much coverage the Advertiser and other papers nation wide used to give the Ivy League in the first third of the 20th Century. I know the schools were already well established, but I found it interesting in my research that it was sports that kept putting them in the frontal lobe of society.

Now they seem to be a perpetual motion machine.

So many people associated with UL spend way too much time on the name and not on what can make the university better in all areas. If they put this much effort into athletics as they do with the name the football team would go 12-0 and the basketball team would win the national championship. _
    If you're speaking literally, you are full of skat.

If you're speaking figuratively then I understand your message.

But, I cannot actually tell one way one the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ When it comes to this issueyes.

Seriously, look at the hatchet job Ted Lewis did when he wrote the stories for the TP leading up to the first Ul v LSU football game a few years back. I was there and heard the interviews with a half dozen folks at my table and the adjacent tables. What they said and what he wrote (that is , emphasised and selectively quoted) were two entirely different things. The other papers mentioned have their own agendas of either ignoring accomplishments by UL. News Star only seems to cover UL if the Warhawks win but then when they turn around an lose to UL the next day no stories to be found. Or how about the case of the Advocate changing direct quotes from UL to add the extra city tag "L"?

Now I've given you some concrete facts to back my assertion. I'll be glad to listen to any you have to make your case. _
    "When it comes to this issueyes."

Ok, that's pretty much what I though.

".look at the hatchet job Ted Lewis did."

Gosh, I have a hard time recalling a story penned 6 mons ago, much less 7 yrs ago. I thought Lewis was the Tulane beat guy for the TP? Was it an opinion thing or a game write up? Anyway, I don't know if you can paint a paper as bias cause a guy writes a story 7 yrs ago you don't agree with or doesn't reference your school as you think he such. It might be an easy call for media in Lafayette to make and not so easy for the media outside that area to make.

I don't agree with changing quotes and if that happened w/o some kinda notice to the reader, then it was wrong to do so.

Good luck in your quest

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ If you're speaking literally, you are full of skat.

If you're speaking figuratively then I understand your message.

But, I cannot actually tell one way one the other. _
    OMG of course I meant it figuratively. What I mean is the efforts and thoughts about what name to use should be put into things more constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I enjoy your posts and see you as a voice of reason.

One thing many may not realize is how much coverage the Advertiser and other papers nation wide used to give the Ivy League in the first third of the 20th Century. I know the schools were already well established, but I found it interesting in my research that it was sports that kept putting them in the frontal lobe of society.

Now they seem to be a perpetual motion machine. _
    I try to be and thank you. Don't get me wrong I think sports are an important part of any instution of higher learning and you are right one about the Ivy League. Sports did keep them at the fore front for many years because in their time they were the LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. of that era. I just meant it took many years for them to gain respect and they didn't do it by having a certain name. Many alumni and supporters of UL/L just put way too much emphasis on a name and need to put that energy into other areas of support for the school. We should just use UL/L or Louisiana Lafayette and move on.

OMG of course I meant it figuratively. What I mean is the efforts and thoughts about what name to use should be put into things more constructive. _
    Okay. But don't you see that away from these forums very little energy and effort are spent on "the name". Maybe the real amount of attention it gets is somehow greatly magnified on forums or fan boards. Actually, it's only a few people who keep "the name" stuff going while many of the rest of us just try to balance the representations being made.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ "When it comes to this issueyes."

Ok, that's pretty much what I though.

".look at the hatchet job Ted Lewis did."

Gosh, I have a hard time recalling a story penned 6 mons ago, much less 7 yrs ago. I thought Lewis was the Tulane beat guy for the TP? Was it an opinion thing or a game write up? Anyway, I don't know if you can paint a paper as bias cause a guy writes a story 7 yrs ago you don't agree with or doesn't reference your school as you think he such. It might be an easy call for media in Lafayette to make and not so easy for the media outside that area to make.

I don't agree with changing quotes and if that happened w/o some kinda notice to the reader, then it was wrong to do so.

Good luck in your quest _
    The Ted Lewis story was one example. And it was not an opinion piece it was a pre-game write up. Cajunsmike was one of the people (among several at our table and adjacent tables) interviewed. I was sitting next to him during the interview. His thoughts conveyed to Lewis were much the same as he posts here, very well thought out and reasoned. Mike gave a good analysis of the history of the "rivalry" (best term I can think of though some State fans will not like that term applied here) between the two school, his outlook on the game and his prediction for the overall season. Lewis kept turning the questions back to the name issue. Mike did finally briefly answer his question. When the story came out the main focus was all about our fans "obsession" with the name issue.

Again that story was one example. You can look at the TP on a daily basis and find that UL gets very little coverage even when playing UNO or in our conference tourney even though the conference is headquartered in NO.

As for the Advocate, I've had e-mail correspondence with one of their reporters ( I believe it was Rabalais) concerning the name issue. We discussed severel points including thier use of the three letter designation and changing quotes. Over the course of our discussion I suggested that they use UL with the city tag spelled out if they felt they couldn't accomodate our (the fans) wish to use UL. He basically admitted that the paper's policy was that they would use the three letter designation regardless of the university asking for it not to be used. We also discussed the issue of changing quotes and while he indicated that it didn't really fit the mold of "journalistic integrity" it was a conscious decision by the paper's management to do that and it was out of his hands.

My point in replying to you on this is that it isn't paranoia if they really are after you.

_ The Ted Lewis story was one example. And it was not an opinion piece it was a pre-game write up. Cajunsmike was one of the people (among several at our table and adjacent tables) interviewed. I was sitting next to him during the interview. His thoughts conveyed to Lewis were much the same as he posts here, very well thought out and reasoned. Mike gave a good analysis of the history of the "rivalry" (best term I can think of though some State fans will not like that term applied here) between the two school, his outlook on the game and his prediction for the overall season. Lewis kept turning the questions back to the name issue. Mike did finally briefly answer his question. When the story came out the main focus was all about our fans "obsession" with the name issue.

Again that story was one example. You can look at the TP on a daily basis and find that UL gets very little coverage even when playing UNO or in our conference tourney even though the conference is headquartered in NO.

As for the Advocate, I've had e-mail correspondence with one of their reporters ( I believe it was Rabalais) concerning the name issue. We discussed severel points including thier use of the three letter designation and changing quotes. Over the course of our discussion I suggested that they use UL with the city tag spelled out if they felt they couldn't accomodate our (the fans) wish to use UL. He basically admitted that the paper's policy was that they would use the three letter designation regardless of the university asking for it not to be used. We also discussed the issue of changing quotes and while he indicated that it didn't really fit the mold of "journalistic integrity" it was a conscious decision by the paper's management to do that and it was out of his hands.

My point in replying to you on this is that it isn't paranoia if they really are after you. _
    I happen to have a copy of Ted Lewis' article "UL-Lafayette remains up in arms about name" (09/02/06)very handy.

I also happen to have a copy of one by Juli Metzger (10/23/04) titled "UL name recogniton important to us all" and one of the same date by Marsha Sills titled "Univeristy fights for identity".

_ The Ted Lewis story was one example. And it was not an opinion piece it was a pre-game write up. Cajunsmike was one of the people (among several at our table and adjacent tables) interviewed. I was sitting next to him during the interview. His thoughts conveyed to Lewis were much the same as he posts here, very well thought out and reasoned. Mike gave a good analysis of the history of the "rivalry" (best term I can think of though some State fans will not like that term applied here) between the two school, his outlook on the game and his prediction for the overall season. Lewis kept turning the questions back to the name issue. Mike did finally briefly answer his question. When the story came out the main focus was all about our fans "obsession" with the name issue.

My point in replying to you on this is that it isn't paranoia if they really are after you. _
    I happen to have a copy of Ted Lewis' article "UL-Lafayette remains up in arms about name" (09/02/06)very handy.

I also happen to have a copy of one by Juli Metzger (10/23/04) titled "UL name recogniton important to us all" and one of the same date by Marsha Sills titled "Univeristy fights for identity".

It's a shame old Ted didn't read them too. Naaaw, something tells me it wouldn't have made a difference.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information