Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

1. UL Football Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowDog View Post
    They had their flashes with Thomas, Sanders, Gundy etc, but since T. Boone has gotten involved, they are in the top tier of the B-12
    Fair enough, I guess the point of my earlier post was not to judge where you can be by where you are.

UL can have its flashes but one of the keys is consistently broader coverage.

Then again with the adent of internet broadcasts having multiple station coverage isn't as crucial as it once was.

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowDog View Post
    _ Well if we had a Boone Pickens as one of our alumni willing to help we might could be an OK State.

The originator of this thread reiterates what I've said for years, our athletic dept. has no clue how to market itself. Fifteen years ago I attended a company meeting in New Jersey, and took a few Ragin Cajun t-shirts and gave them to some co-workers. They said every where they went in NJ and NY, people asked where they could get one.

We have never taken advantage of the best nick name in sports and it is way too late. _
    Great point here. I had a friend who brought a bunch of t-shirts back to Florida. Something about Ragin' Cajun fit my friends personality. They really do make great gifts lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaginCajun06 View Post
    _ Great point here. I had a friend who brought a bunch of t-shirts back to Florida. Something about Ragin' Cajun fit my friends personality. They really do make great gifts lol. _

For a school needing to increase revenue, UL just doesn't get it when it comes to marketing. We could sell UL Ragin Cajun gear all over the country if we just marketed it. No Lafayette. And, not just Ragin Cajuns without UL. There needs to be a connection to the university.

My first year at UL was the coronation of Bustle. Everywhere you went they were promoting UL and going to the football games.

The PR was decent, not stellar. As a student it was really pushed on us to attend the games with our student ID.

I've been hooked on UL sports since I started and haven't given up on them.
    I have noticed the lack of student support the last few years. Can we blame them?

A lot of students work. This is a commuter college. There are many things you can do besides going to watch your colleges team get blown out in basketball, baseball, football.

The athletic program is officially broken. Winning one season won't fix it. It may put a patch on it, but you have to grow this thing back up.

I seriously could go on and on in this post, but I am not. I want UL athletics to be the best they could possibly be. We should be winning the division, but instead FAU and Troy are waving at us in the rear view mirror.

We've been a division 1 school a lot longer, yet we well let all these newly appointed DI schools run all over us!

Can't compete in a conference that most of the country doesn't even know exists! We are far from where we need to be, yet we continue to hope and try not to give up on UL athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ For a school needing to increase revenue, UL just doesn't get it when it comes to marketing. We could sell UL Ragin Cajun gear all over the country if we just marketed it. No Lafayette. And, not just Ragin Cajuns without UL. There needs to be a connection to the university. _
    I definitely agree with you there. Without the connection to the University it has no definite meaning. It could be done. Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. hats in LIDS stores all across the country. Kinda like LSU, Texas, Florida, Duke, UConn, USC, Florida State, Tennessee. just hats I've seen at LIDS stores all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Fair enough, I guess the point of my earlier post was not to judge where you can be by where you are.

UL can have its flashes but one of the keys is consistently broader coverage.

Then again with the adent of internet broadcasts having multiple station coverage isn't as crucial as it once was. _
    I just think we miss the boat from a marketing standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaginCajun06 View Post
    _ My first year at UL was the coronation of Bustle. Everywhere you went they were promoting UL and going to the football games.

The PR was decent, not stellar. As a student it was really pushed on us to attend the games with our student ID.

I've been hooked on UL sports since I started and haven't given up on them.
    I have noticed the lack of student support the last few years. Can we blame them?

A lot of students work. This is a commuter college. There are many things you can do besides going to watch your colleges team get blown out in basketball, baseball, football.

The athletic program is officially broken. Winning one season won't fix it. It may put a patch on it, but you have to grow this thing back up.

I seriously could go on and on in this post, but I am not. I want UL athletics to be the best they could possibly be. We should be winning the division, but instead FAU and Troy are waving at us in the rear view mirror.

We've been a division 1 school a lot longer, yet we well let all these newly appointed DI schools run all over us!

Can't compete in a conference that most of the country doesn't even know exists! We are far from where we need to be, yet we continue to hope and try not to give up on UL athletics.

I definitely agree with you there. Without the connection to the University it has no definite meaning. It could be done. Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. hats in LIDS stores all across the country. Kinda like LSU, Texas, Florida, Duke, UConn, USC, Florida State, Tennessee. just hats I've seen at LIDS stores all over the country. _

I would go a step further. No " 's" on Louisiana. It is not Florida's Gators or Alabama's Crimson Tide or Michigan's Wolverines. Why is it Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns? It doesn't sound like a university, but rather a state mascot. We need to be simply LOUISIANA and UL and tie both in with Ragin Cajuns.

_ For a school needing to increase revenue, UL just doesn't get it when it comes to marketing. We could sell UL Ragin Cajun gear all over the country if we just marketed it. No Lafayette. And, not just Ragin Cajuns without UL. There needs to be a connection to the university. _
    No you can't sale official gear with UL Ragin'Cajuns licensed by the univeristy all over the country, without Lafayette on it. As much as I would like it to, this univeristy is not going fight another legal battle costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unless you have some money in an offshore account from Barney Marnoff, what you ask is not going to happen.

I think some of you just don't get it. We live in Louisiana, not Houston,Texas. Don't blame the univeristy for followlling a law that was passed by the legislature and the sitting governor at the time. The connection you seek would cost this univeristy money it doesn't have right now. How you and others can't understand that, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ No you can't sale official gear with UL Ragin'Cajuns licensed by the univeristy all over the country, without Lafayette on it. As much as I would like it to, this univeristy is not going fight another legal battle costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unless you have some money in an offshore account from Barney Marnoff, what you ask is not going to happen.

I think some of you just don't get it. We live in Louisiana, not Houston,Texas. Don't blame the univeristy for followlling a law that was passed by the legislature and the sitting governor at the time. The connection you seek would cost this univeristy money it doesn't have right now. How you and others can't understand that, is beyond me. _
    lol, i think you mean Madoff.

I have a two hats, one vermillion, one grey. Both have UL on the front nd Ragin Cajuns on the back. Just a little food for thought. I would imagine they are both licensed, they have NCAA tags on the inside rim,

_ No you can't sale official gear with UL Ragin'Cajuns licensed by the univeristy all over the country, without Lafayette on it. As much as I would like it to, this univeristy is not going fight another legal battle costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unless you have some money in an offshore account from Barney Marnoff, what you ask is not going to happen.

I think some of you just don't get it. We live in Louisiana, not Houston,Texas. Don't blame the univeristy for followlling a law that was passed by the legislature and the sitting governor at the time. The connection you seek would cost this univeristy money it doesn't have right now. How you and others can't understand that, is beyond me. _

Then, please explain why we put Louisiana and UL on our uniforms, put Louisiana on the football field, our SID is starting to use Louisiana and UL more exclusively in any news releases, we have asked publications like Phil Steele to call us Louisiana, etc. etc. Why are we doing all of that if not to capture the Louisiana name, athletically? Yet, we can't produce shirts and caps with UL and Louisiana. It makes no sense. That inconsistency has been my problem all along. Either we are going for the name or we aren't. Why the half-a**ed approach? Why do you call us UL and Louisiana? Why perpetuate the problem you say we can't overcome?

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ lol, i think you mean Madoff.

I have a two hats, one vermillion, one grey. Both have UL on the front nd Ragin Cajuns on the back. Just a little food for thought. I would imagine they are both licensed, they have NCAA tags on the inside rim, _
    I'm telling you, the name police are alive and well. Don't get too caught up on what you can buy locally. People think that this new President and AD department on sitting on their butt, not pushing "Louisiana" or UL, but nothing could be further from the truth. Our own Conference Commisioner has been fighting us on our request to be called "Louisiana". He has been sent formal letters requesting that his office do so, but has not complied. In our own conference, one member insitution continues to call an complain about our use of "Louisiana", which is perfectly legal. I can assure you, that there are people in this state that are not going to sit back and allow us to use UL without the city tag.

_ Then, please explain why we put Louisiana and UL on our uniforms, put Louisiana on the football field, our SID is starting to use Louisiana and UL more exclusively in any news releases, we have asked publications like Phil Steele to call us Louisiana, etc. etc. Why are we doing all of that if not to capture the Louisiana name, athletically? Yet, we can't produce shirts and caps with UL and Louisiana. It makes no sense. That inconsistency has been my problem all along. Either we are going for the name or we aren't. Why the half-a**ed approach? Why do you call us UL and Louisiana? Why perpetuate the problem you say we can't overcome? _
    Read my post above. I have personally sent emails to our commisioner on this matter and have yet to receive an honest reply. Lafayette is on the caps and batting helmets for softball and baseball. It is located on the back and it not noticeable when it is in the same color thread as the cap. Football has had Lafayette on the collar or the sleeve in the past. You may not notice it, but it is there to see up close. We are pushing the envelope on this matter by using "Louisiana", because it is in compliance with the law. This is why Phil Steele is using it in his publication. Any time we use UL without the city tag, another threatening letter is received. We can use "Louisiana" and continue to push it legally. We cannot use "UL" without the city tag, when others are threatening lawsuits.

_ I can assure you, that there are people in this state that are not going to sit back and allow us to use UL without the city tag. _
    Oh, we both know that. It kinda sucks, but whatever. Let us embrace UL.L!!!

My question is why don't we just say to hell with the name police and just do it. Let them file legal action against the University, then contact any and all media outlets to get the word out on how idiotic this state acts sometimes.

Let's just change our name back to USL!!!

We decided to change our name to UL because we didn't want the directional tag. We were granted that but were told that we would have to add "Lafayette." That is not what we wanted so why did we go through with it? Everything was good and no one was screaming about a name change when we were USL. Lets change it back and simply drop the "western" in the name. Univ. of South Louisiana sounds good.

It seems that we won't ever be allowed to use UL or Louisiana alone. LSU and ULM won't let it happen and I understand why. It aggravates the crap out of me that we don't even know who we are. You ask some university officials and they will say UL Lafayette sometimes and UL others. I sent an email to Farmer a while back asking him "WHO ARE WE." He responded not long after stating that "We are Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns." I asked him about the 's and I got no response. Now if I were to ask someone else on campus they may say that we are UL Lafayette.

So going back to USL is the perfect solution. ULM never wanted to change their name so I'm sure they would have no problem going back to NLU. I knowit's only wishful thinking on my part and will never happen.

15. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    _ My question is why don't we just say to hell with the name police and just do it. Let them file legal action against the University, then contact any and all media outlets to get the word out on how idiotic this state acts sometimes. _
    YES!
    Any pub is good pub!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information