Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    "Then again, maybe the Baylor PR machine is much more powerful than UL's PR machine. Maybe money really does talk. But Waco's not the only place I've noticed this. Lake Charles has lots of billboards promoting McNeese athletics. Hell, didn't McNeese alumni have a billboard in Lafayette promoting "McNeese's big game" at Cajun Field?"

Yes, but many of their fans are LSU fans as well. I noticed many bumpers at Cajun Field that had McNeese on one sticker and LSU on another opposite side. I observed the same thing in Sulphur while attending the state softball championships.
    There's a big difference, though. LSU and McNeese don't compete on the same level, so LSU doesn't really care about McNeese in that regard. McNeese winning Division I-AA championships doesn't affect LSU in the same way that UL going 9-3 in football would.

I'm sure there were a ton of Youngstown State/Ohio State fans and Troy/Auburn fans at one point too. Right now, McNeese fans don't have to make a "choice" between the two. That would/will change if McNeese ever moves to Division I-A and starts competing in the same "division" as LSU. LSU fans won't be as forgiving toward McNeese and vice versa.

For the record, I have no problem with the "house divided" phenomena we have in Lafayette. My observation was that in traveling to other college towns, those cities seem to get behind the university a lot more than Lafayette "gets behind" UL.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunnexile View Post
    _ Does anyone else notice that the same topics seem to be discussed over and over again on this board?

It appears to me, as an outsider with a connection to UL, that most posters are focused on:

Becoming the University of LA

Finding some way to excuse the lackluster sports program

Blaming or degrading LSU for various problems or perceptions?

Does anyone ever just post about the positives of UL or reasons to support UL? _

Sure we do. However, with a whopping 7 posts, I'm sure you've stuck around long enough to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch24 View Post
    _ One thing I noticed while traveling in Waco this past weekend was the huge support for that university in the city. Now, I know Baylor is a Big 12 school with a lot more money than UL, but I wouldn't think Waco is more prosperous than Lafayette. The cities are very similar and just judging by the places I visited (mall, restaurants, hotels) Lafayette is superior in most aspects.

Getting back to the support though, there are tons of signage all over town promoting Baylor athletics. Whether it's a billboard with the softball and baseball teams represented with the number to get tickets or a billboard with the football teams, you could see that Waco is squarely behind Baylor.

Even the restaurants I visited were very "Green and Gold". One place in particular was decked out in Green and Gold, tons of old photos of past players, banners from NCAA regionals, tournaments, etc. Other than Pete's and maybe Baja now, I had a hard time coming up with a place in Lafayette that had a similar environment for UL.

Stevie P and I had the discussion while we were dining at said establishment and we came up with the logical reason that Lafayette businesses are, for the most part, afraid to cast their lot with UL and, in effect, shun LSU. I think most business owners/managers in Lafayette don't want to "pick sides" with either team, so they try to walk the fine line.

Maybe they're afraid to lose their LSU customers. But I would imagine plenty of Waco residents are Texas fans or A&M fans. In fact, I saw a lot of people walking around with UT and eATMe hats and shirts. Yet, Waco doesn't seem to be opposed to getting behind their local school, as far as their businesses are concerned.

Then again, maybe the Baylor PR machine is much more powerful than UL's PR machine. Maybe money really does talk. But Waco's not the only place I've noticed this. Lake Charles has lots of billboards promoting McNeese athletics. Hell, didn't McNeese alumni have a billboard in Lafayette promoting "McNeese's big game" at Cajun Field?

I guess Lafayette is just not one of those cities like Waco or Lake Chuck. I guess Lafayette is truly a "house divided" among LSU and UL fans. And that's not to blame LSU, so don't think this is another "LSU is the devil" rants. I think it's partially the university's fault for not going out and promoting the hell out of the programs. And I think it's the businesses' fault for not stepping up to the plate and supporting the local university. _

All valid points. However, when you're dealing with severe budget cuts and an already inept budget, you have to align yourself with the things that give you the better bang for your buck in terms of promotion of an athletic program. Billboards and painted planes are nice and all but are they truly going to give us the exposure in our town that this dept truly needs? I doubt it. They will enhance perception but they won't turn the average person into a fan overnight. I think the community needs to do a better part in supporting the university in conjunction with increased promotional efforts by the university. I think its too easy to blame the admin staff but not the average person sitting in the parking lot on gameday watching LSU or Alabama eating food and not paying for a ticket nor making the effort to see the game.

_ There's a big difference, though. LSU and McNeese don't compete on the same level, so LSU doesn't really care about McNeese in that regard. McNeese winning Division I-AA championships doesn't affect LSU in the same way that UL going 9-3 in football would.

I'm sure there were a ton of Youngstown State/Ohio State fans and Troy/Auburn fans at one point too. Right now, McNeese fans don't have to make a "choice" between the two. That would/will change if McNeese ever moves to Division I-A and starts competing in the same "division" as LSU. LSU fans won't be as forgiving toward McNeese and vice versa.

For the record, I have no problem with the "house divided" phenomena we have in Lafayette. My observation was that in traveling to other college towns, those cities seem to get behind the university a lot more than Lafayette "gets behind" UL. _
    No, I think you are correct in your comments concerning businesses here in Lafayette. A good business man is not going to burn birdges with any potential client period. But the apathy towards UL athletics in Lafayette has as much to do with our former president, as it does any other factor.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ No, I think you are correct in your comments concerning businesses here in Lafayette. A good business man is not going to burn birdges with any potential client period. But the apathy towards UL athletics in Lafayette has as much to do with our former president, as it does any other factor. _
    CRIPES!! 9:54 pm May 21, 2009.the nausea and fever reappear.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    CRIPES!! 9:54 pm May 21, 2009.the nausea and fever reappears.

Z
    Another confirmed case of Swine Flu?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Can never be LSU is not a knock, but there is no reason UL can't be an Oklahoma State.

After the success Oklahoma had in the 40's and 50's and later why even try?

Because success is not a closed container and when the Oklahoma cup ranneth over OSU grabbed a shammy.

The thing I remember about when UL played OSU in the Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas era was that their games were broadcast on upwards of 20 radio stations.

igeaux.mobi _
    Well if we had a Boone Pickens as one of our alumni willing to help we might could be an OK State.

The originator of this thread reiterates what I've said for years, our athletic dept. has no clue how to market itself. Fifteen years ago I attended a company meeting in New Jersey, and took a few Ragin Cajun t-shirts and gave them to some co-workers. They said every where they went in NJ and NY, people asked where they could get one.

We have never taken advantage of the best nick name in sports and it is way too late.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ShowDog View Post
    Well if we had a Boone Pickens as one of our alumni willing to help we might could be an OK State.

The originator of this thread reiterates what I've said for years, our athletic dept. has no clue how to market itself. Fifteen years ago I attended a company meeting in New Jersey, and took a few Ragin Cajun t-shirts and gave them to some co-workers. They said every where they went in NJ and NY, people asked where they could get one.

We have never taken advantage of the best nick name in sports and it is way too late.
    T Boone did not make OSU what it is.

The passion marketing that OSU nurtured gave future success story T. Boone Pickens something to latch on to.

Make a note. Passion always comes before fruitage.

jmo
    igeaux.mobi

9. Default Re: The University of Louisiana? Only if it acts like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Sure we do. However, with a whopping 7 posts, I'm sure you've stuck around long enough to see them. _
    When one lacks the logical reasons to support their argument they attack the opponent personally.

I read this board at least twice a week and the post was just my observation. Also, I grew up in Acadiana and have an MBA from UL.

Alot of what the original poster said is accurate to some degree, and what he invisions is a perfect world. Yes, many moons ago, we had radio broadcasts
    in multiple cities besides Lafayette, and New Iberia, but that is up to the local stations themselves, weather or not they can sell it to their sponsors.
    Now you did mention a "Winning Schedule" which i totally agree with.
    ANY excitement starts with Winning. Until we figure that out, and give this football team a chance to win 7 or 8 games, none of what you mentioned
    has legs. I do see light pole flags with UL on it, I do see City buses with
    UL on them, and I do see newspaper adds, and alot of radio support locally.
    A great deal of fans want to support a winner, but are just lying in the wings
    waiting for the Athletic Dept. to want the same.
    As always, any opinion is healthy, and it would be nice to set our sites
    on a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ T Boone did not make OSU what it is.

The passion marketing that OSU nurtured gave future success story T. Boone Pickens something to latch on to.

Make a note. Passion always comes before fruitage.

jmo
    igeaux.mobi _
    They had their flashes with Thomas, Sanders, Gundy etc, but since T. Boone has gotten involved, they are in the top tier of the B-12

_ When one lacks the logical reasons to support their argument they attack the opponent personally.

I read this board at least twice a week and the post was just my observation. Also, I grew up in Acadiana and have an MBA from UL. _

This was not an attack on you personally. My point was to prove that your limited time here points to the contrary of what is typically spoken here. Sure, there are negative posts but you made mention of our negativity towards our program. However, you are condemning our "excuses for a lackluster sports program"? To me, that is doing nothing but feeding the negative atmosphere for which you are slamming. Is it not? Are you not pushing for us to be highly critical of our program thus reducing our enjoyment? I guess I am one to blame in that regard. I tend to defend the current administration in hopes of actually allowing them time to do their job since they are very new to it and I also point out the actual progress that they've been quick to make. Do I feel that some fans are way too quick to blame the "athletic department" for every failure we endure? I absolutely do. Do I feel that there is a discrepancy in how the fans view various sports and how they grade their success? Absolutely. But I also know that the current administration is much different from those of recent years. I have a problem with some banging these people and the progress they've made because they lump them with the previous staff. To me, this is not looking at the "positives of the program" or of being a fan of UL.

In regards to the name change, you don't see a lot of those posts on here. Are they here? Sure, but its not like we're beating a dead horse.

Do we sit here and blame LSU for problems? I don't blame them for anything. If you're looking for a forum where we show the love to LSU, you need to go somewhere else. There are LOTS of reasons fans here dislike them and I have my reasons which are valid as to why I do. I received my M.S. from LSU and I grew to dislike them even more in my time there. However, I don't think your rebuttal contains any more "logic" than my comments and it certainly does nothing to give you any more of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCajun View Post
    _ Alot of what the original poster said is accurate to some degree, and what he invisions is a perfect world. Yes, many moons ago, we had radio broadcasts
    in multiple cities besides Lafayette, and New Iberia, but that is up to the local stations themselves, weather or not they can sell it to their sponsors.
    Now you did mention a "Winning Schedule" which i totally agree with.
    ANY excitement starts with Winning. Until we figure that out, and give this football team a chance to win 7 or 8 games, none of what you mentioned
    has legs. I do see light pole flags with UL on it, I do see City buses with
    UL on them, and I do see newspaper adds, and alot of radio support locally.
    A great deal of fans want to support a winner, but are just lying in the wings
    waiting for the Athletic Dept. to want the same.
    As always, any opinion is healthy, and it would be nice to set our sites
    on a perfect world. _

But we do have a chance to win 7-8 games, just about every season. The SBC gives us that ability. We play 8 games this year in conference. We play Southern and KSU at home this year. If we are to take that next step, winning 2 out of conference games each year should not be a large chore. We can still have money games and have a 7-8 win season. Does Troy not successfully accomplish this feat with more money games per year than us? I think they do. This is my point. We are the point where we blame coach bustle for not winning by saying the schedule is too hard. It's not and anybody in D-1 who wants to improve, needs to play certain money games but take care of business in conference. If you are critical of his record in conference, or losses to UTEP and McNeese, I will see that as a valid argument but to say we have too hard of a schedule is crazy

Another confirmed case of Swine Flu?
    Z - How is that swine flu going for ya?

igeaux.mobi

_ When one lacks the logical reasons to support their argument they attack the opponent personally.

I read this board at least twice a week and the post was just my observation. Also, I grew up in Acadiana and have an MBA from UL. _
    twice a week since March????

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information