Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Story on Christie Orgeron

Default Re: Story on Christie Orgeron

I have a softball question for the knowledgeable softball fans out there.i noticed it before and I noticed it in this video with our girls, they hardly ever follow through with their swings. It seems they make contact and stop. Is this part of Michael's philosophy or is this a softball thing?

3. Default Re: Story on Christie Orgeron

I noticed the same thing too - I forgot the coaches show on Monday 'cuz I wanted to call with that question - Stevie P- holla at us !!!

It's a softball thingsthey're "slappers"

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ I have a softball question for the knowledgeable softball fans out there.i noticed it before and I noticed it in this video with our girls, they hardly ever follow through with their swings. It seems they make contact and stop. Is this part of Michael's philosophy or is this a softball thing? _
    Coach Mike could explain it a lot better than I could, but it has to do with his philosophy and what he teaches. He teaches the girls to swing with their lower body and hips. It's all about getting the barrel or bat head through the zone squared up with the ball.

If you do that and you use your lower body to get the bat head squared up on the ball, the work is already done when you hit the ball. The follow-through is just something that looks pretty after that point; the ball has already left the bat and is not going to travel any further.

You'll notice a lot of times when the girls are warming up in the on-deck circle that they'll not take full cuts and usually just kind of swing their hips. You can also tell when a girl uses her upper body to muscle the ball and usually you'll know it by Lotief's reaction, even if she hits a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch24 View Post
    _ Coach Mike could explain it a lot better than I could, but it has to do with his philosophy and what he teaches. He teaches the girls to swing with their lower body and hips. It's all about getting the barrel or bat head through the zone squared up with the ball.

If you do that and you use your lower body to get the bat head squared up on the ball, the work is already done when you hit the ball. The follow-through is just something that looks pretty after that point; the ball has already left the bat and is not going to travel any further.

You'll notice a lot of times when the girls are warming up in the on-deck circle that they'll not take full cuts and usually just kind of swing their hips. You can also tell when a girl uses her upper body to muscle the ball and usually you'll know it by Lotief's reaction, even if she hits a bomb. _
    That explains a lot.Thanks!

_ Coach Mike could explain it a lot better than I could, but it has to do with his philosophy and what he teaches. He teaches the girls to swing with their lower body and hips. It's all about getting the barrel or bat head through the zone squared up with the ball.

You'll notice a lot of times when the girls are warming up in the on-deck circle that they'll not take full cuts and usually just kind of swing their hips. You can also tell when a girl uses her upper body to muscle the ball and usually you'll know it by Lotief's reaction, even if she hits a bomb. _
    You have explained it very well. A college softball swing is different then baseball. You don't want to ever extend your arms, but keep your hands in tight and rotate your hips through the ball.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You mean, its not "a softball thing????" I thought it was because they were slappers?????

Geeze

Thanks Brady!

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ You have explained it very well. A college softball swing is different then baseball. You don't want to ever extend your arms, but keep your hands in tight and rotate your hips through the ball. _
    Thanks, T! I thought it was because it was a softball thing, and they were slappers?????

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Thanks, T! I thought it was because it was a softball thing, and they were slappers?????

Z _
    Dude, too much time on your hands right now! Did you get to take the wife out for dinner yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Dude, too much time on your hands right now! Did you get to take the wife out for dinner yet? _
    Man, you got that right! He is going for the magical 6,000 posts. I can't wait for all the bells and whistles going off when that occurs!!! Oh, wait . maybe it's not too much time on his hands. Maybe he is just a multi-tasker extraordinaire! Yeah, that's the ticket!

12. Default Re: Story on Christie Orgeron

Have ya'll noticed that some of our kids have their hands separated on the bat--about and inch or 2???? It must go along with the non-follow through!!! I recently had a great conversation with a Karate dude about contact over a period and power---his point was kind of with the girls that longer contact did not lead to more power---where are the PE guys on this???---that was meant for the kinesiology guys!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Have ya'll noticed that some of our kids have their hands separated on the bat--about and inch or 2???? It must go along with the non-follow through!!! I recently had a great conversation with a Karate dude about contact over a period and power---his point was kind of with the girls that longer contact did not lead to more power---where are the PE guys on this???---that was meant for the kinesiology guys!!!!! _
    I recall this discussion last year during the WS. Essentially they said it gave the girls better control of the bat; especially against high fastballs/riseballs. It is definitely NOT a power grip. I don't think Holly T used the split grip.

Shof

http://www.mikeepsteinhitting.com/

Here is a link to the hitting philosophy that the UL softball team uses. The main difference is that a more rotational swing is used vs. a liner swing. So yes the trunk and legs are turning vs. sliding. Best example from a major leaguer is Barry Bonds though steriods may have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Have ya'll noticed that some of our kids have their hands separated on the bat--about and inch or 2???? It must go along with the non-follow through!!! I recently had a great conversation with a Karate dude about contact over a period and power---his point was kind of with the girls that longer contact did not lead to more power---where are the PE guys on this???---that was meant for the kinesiology guys!!!!! _
    I will take a stab at it.

Physics equation for power is: Power = Force/time. So the shorter amount of time a force is applied the more power you have.

As for as the split grip, my best guess is that while you will lose some leverage by shorten the lever arm (bat) you definitely gain control and it takes a shorter amount of time to get the bat into/through the hitting area. Now you will lose some wrist action with the split grip as you have much less wrist play and you will lose some power because you are nolonger able to supinate the left arm and pronate the right arm (right hand batter) through the hitting area. With the mike epstien philosophy of hitting the split grip will not effect the power as much because most of the power and swing speed is created by rotating the legs and trunk vs. swinging the arms.

My credintials are I once did a hitting thesis paper for an upper level biomechanical class (Dr. George) scored an A , master degree in Physical Therapy, and I love this kind of stuff (sports ergonomics).

If someone is more intuned with this hitting philosophy please feel free to share your knowledge. I would like to hear it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information