Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bad news for SLU and more????

Default Re: bad news for SLU and more????

The most important point from the original article:

_ State higher education cuts are not expected to affect LSU's athletic department, which is self-supporting and does not rely on any state tax revenue.
    This is where we need to be with the RCAF.

Quote Originally Posted by awadelewis View Post
    _ The most important point from the original article:

This is where we need to be with the RCAF. _

I agree. Also, could this be a major reason why the UL System is not letting universities increase tuition for athletics. No state university other than LSU is self-supporting at this point and all rely heavily on state funding for athletics. Over the years, LSU has become fully self-suporting given its SEC affiliation, huge attendance, TAF and BCS status, a prominence no other state university has. This may be a stretch, but could LSU's hand reach out far enough to negatively affect any other state athletic programs from ever achieving or seeking to achieve that status? There is nothing stopping any university from developing its own version of TAF, which UL is finally doing with the RCAF. But, being able to raise another $5M+ each year from student fees would help enornously, but we can't do it. LSU was able to make themselves the State's single Flagship university, while every other state has one or more Flagships for each system. In our case, the UL System would have its Flagship(s), Southern would be its system's Flagship, and LSU Baton Rouge would be its system's Flagship. In Texas for example, Texas at Austin is the flagship of the UT System and Texas A&M is the Flagship of the A&M System. There is no ONE Flagship for all of Texas. In fact, several other schools are seeking Flagship status based on a set of Flagship criteria, those being Texas Tech and UH. I'm not saying LSU is the culprit of all of this as I think we place too much blame on LSU for our own shortcomings. I just don't understand why the UL System (1) can't make a decision to raise tuition for athletics (the LSU System allows it and, in fact, UNO recently had a failed vote by its students) and (2) why the UL System can't have its own Flagship university(s). What is the point of having a separate system if it is controlled by LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ I agree. Also, could this be a major reason why the UL System is not letting universities increase tuition for athletics. No state university other than LSU is self-supporting at this point and all rely heavily on state funding for athletics. Over the years, LSU has become fully self-suporting given its SEC affiliation, huge attendance, TAF and BCS status, a prominence no other state university has. This may be a stretch, but could LSU's hand reach out far enough to negatively affect any other state athletic programs from ever achieving or seeking to achieve that status? There is nothing stopping any university from developing its own version of TAF, which UL is finally doing with the RCAF. But, being able to raise another $5M+ each year from student fees would help enornously, but we can't do it. LSU was able to make themselves the State's single Flagship university, while every other state has one or more Flagships for each system. In our case, the UL System would have its Flagship(s), Southern would be its system's Flagship, and LSU Baton Rouge would be its system's Flagship. In Texas for example, Texas at Austin is the flagship of the UT System and Texas A&M is the Flagship of the A&M System. There is no ONE Flagship for all of Texas. In fact, several other schools are seeking Flagship status based on a set of Flagship criteria, those being Texas Tech and UH. I'm not saying LSU is the culprit of all of this as I think we place too much blame on LSU for our own shortcomings. I just don't understand why the UL System (1) can't make a decision to raise tuition for athletics (the LSU System allows it and, in fact, UNO recently had a failed vote by its students) and (2) why the UL System can't have its own Flagship university(s). What is the point of having a separate system if it is controlled by LSU? _
    Outstanding points! I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Outstanding points! I absolutely agree. _
    What you guys are saying makes complete sense that is why Baton Rouge would never go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ I agree. Also, could this be a major reason why the UL System is not letting universities increase tuition for athletics. No state university other than LSU is self-supporting at this point and all rely heavily on state funding for athletics. Over the years, LSU has become fully self-suporting given its SEC affiliation, huge attendance, TAF and BCS status, a prominence no other state university has. This may be a stretch, but could LSU's hand reach out far enough to negatively affect any other state athletic programs from ever achieving or seeking to achieve that status? There is nothing stopping any university from developing its own version of TAF, which UL is finally doing with the RCAF. But, being able to raise another $5M+ each year from student fees would help enornously, but we can't do it. LSU was able to make themselves the State's single Flagship university, while every other state has one or more Flagships for each system. In our case, the UL System would have its Flagship(s), Southern would be its system's Flagship, and LSU Baton Rouge would be its system's Flagship. In Texas for example, Texas at Austin is the flagship of the UT System and Texas A&M is the Flagship of the A&M System. There is no ONE Flagship for all of Texas. In fact, several other schools are seeking Flagship status based on a set of Flagship criteria, those being Texas Tech and UH. I'm not saying LSU is the culprit of all of this as I think we place too much blame on LSU for our own shortcomings. I just don't understand why the UL System (1) can't make a decision to raise tuition for athletics (the LSU System allows it and, in fact, UNO recently had a failed vote by its students) and (2) why the UL System can't have its own Flagship university(s). What is the point of having a separate system if it is controlled by LSU? _
    southern is in the lsu system, not in the UL system. Grambling is the HBCU (historically black college & universities) in the UL system. Also, the UL system has more students enrolled in it than the lsu system (most people don't believe that), but it is because there are more universities in the UL system than the lsu system. Flagship???

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Yes gentlemen. With the right kind of private funding you not only attain money, resources and people, you begin a process of gaining a thing they call "power". Let's see. you build a large athletic system that acts as a magnet for students, their families and friends, alumni and their family and friends, and the community you serve. The day the public axe starts swinging you push buttons and levers you've afforded yourself, and the axe somehow misses you. Interesting. simple. too simple.

It has nothing to do with "Monday morning pride". it has to do with truly being intelligent and managing the luxury that comes with it. You don't make a kid smarter by making him uglier. You don't take pride in being ugly but smart if you can comb your hair and wash your face and no longer be ugly. you're still just as smart. Some people at UL are so used to the ugly part. they embrace it. own it. and claim it as a virtue. Interesting. ridiculous. too ridiculous.

Saying other states have flagships for each university system is just crazy talk. Texas doesn't have a "flagship" university?

California's the only state where a legitimate claim can be asserted as to which school is the flagship.and comparing aTm with UT, is like trying to claim CalTech is somehow competing with UCLA or Cal for "flagship" status. I'm sure there are Michigan State or VPI alums making the same claims, while the rest of the world's scratching their heads wondering what happened to UVa and UM.

If the concept was intended to have multiple schools, they'd call it the flagships agenda.

You completely lost me with that post. Could you try again for my simple mind?

9. Default Re: bad news for SLU and more????

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    southern is in the lsu system, not in the UL system. Grambling is the HBCU (historically black college & universities) in the UL system. Also, the UL system has more students enrolled in it than the lsu system (most people don't believe that), but it is because there are more universities in the UL system than the lsu system. Flagship???
    Southern is not in the LSU system---they are in the Southern System---so stupid ---and with their law school in BR!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Southersn is not in the LSU system---they are in the Southern System---so stupid ---and with their law school in BR!!!!!! _

Yes, it's been "stupid" since 1880 when Southern was founded in New Orleans. Give me a break.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: bad news for SLU and more????

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ Saying other states have flagships for each university system is just crazy talk. Texas doesn't have a "flagship" university?

California's the only state where a legitimate claim can be asserted as to which school is the flagship.and comparing aTm with UT, is like trying to claim CalTech is somehow competing with UCLA or Cal for "flagship" status. I'm sure there are Michigan State or VPI alums making the same claims, while the rest of the world's scratching their heads wondering what happened to UVa and UM.

If the concept was intended to have multiple schools, they'd call it the flagships agenda. _
    Texas has multiple 'flagships': Currently one is in Austin [for the UT system], one in College Station [for the aTm system]. Both these universities are Tier I, National Research Universities with outstanding academics across the board.

You, sir, have no clue. Stick to taking great photos.

lsu may be the best that Louisiana has at the moment, but it is a far cry from being a great university, and its flagship claims, while true, are about as meaningful as being the flagship of the Nicaraguan navy.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ Saying other states have flagships for each university system is just crazy talk. Texas doesn't have a "flagship" university?

If the concept was intended to have multiple schools, they'd call it the flagships agenda. _
    You need to do some research. Both University of Texas and Texas A&M are flagship universities. Whether you have a problem with Louisiana having anything other than a single flagship university is another question. Both of these universities, in the state of Texas, are regarded as "flagship universities". no wiggle room. It does not mean you carry the flag of the "state". the state takes care of that. it means you carry the flag of the "system" you represent.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUTiger4RaginCajuns View Post
    _ You completely lost me with that post. Could you try again for my simple mind? _
    Which post? The smart kid who takes pride in being ugly analogy? Some UL people run around in the glory of a small athletic system claiming we are "more focused" on academics. First, it is a poor man's shoulder chip. We have no reason in Acadiana not to have grown both our athletic system and our academic system. Growth of an athletic system is paramount to strength for the entire university in times of budget considerations, naming rights, and other potential state-meddling decisions.

My point was that having a strong body can occasionally contribute to sustaining a strong mind. I would not be tired of those who have fought "my policy" if it weren't for the fact that they prevailed over the past few decades. It was and still is time to nourish the body in order to feed the mind. These narrow minded people keep arguing that "you don't focus on the body, you focus on the mind". You do both. That was my point. sorry I missed it on you.

14. Default Re: bad news for SLU and more????

Mens sana in corpore sano???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information