Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 University Rankings

2. Default Re: 2009 University Rankings

I don't feel like searching. Where are we ranked?

Default Re: 2009 University Rankings

We are not ranked. Does say we are a Tier 4 university. Interesting fact: Says our in state tuition is $3,390.00 and Louisiana Tech's in state tuition is $4,548.00. Why is there such a difference? Does it have to do with the quarter system?

4. Default Re: 2009 University Rankings

UL didn't make it into the rankings as far as I can tell, as they seem to be lumped alphabetically at the end of the article. LSU barely made the rankings portion of the list, tied for 130th. Or maybe I'm reading this thing wrong.

""LSU barely made the rankings portion of the list, tied for 130th. Or maybe I'm reading this thing wrong. ""

Don't worry. By the time Jindal is finished with this State we'll be in the 400 rankings again.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUalum1 View Post
    _ ""LSU barely made the rankings portion of the list, tied for 130th. Or maybe I'm reading this thing wrong. ""

Don't worry. By the time Jindal is finished with this State we'll be in the 400 rankings again. _

But, LSU is still Tier 1 along with Tulane.

It is interesting to see schools that are Tier 3 & 4

Tier 3

Ole Miss, Miss State, Oklahoma State, Nevada, New Mexico, S. Florida, Southern Miss, W. Virginia, Oregon State, Rutgers and Seton Hall

Tier 4

E. Carolina, FAU, FIU, New Mexico State, UNLV, N. Illinois, SDSU, UALR, UNO, N. Texas, UTEP, Houston, LA Tech and UL.

In the UL System, only LA Tech and UL are at least Tier 4. In the LSU System, UNO is Tier 4. No Louisiana schools are Tier 3.

Why is their no Tier 2?

I wondered about the Tier 2 deal as well. Would love to see us make a move up to Tier 3. Not sure what it takes though. Fun - any info on that question?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUalum1 View Post
    ""LSU barely made the rankings portion of the list, tied for 130th. Or maybe I'm reading this thing wrong. ""

Don't worry. By the time Jindal is finished with this State we'll be in the 400 rankings again.
    Don't blame him. He's just doing what he has to do by law.

In fact, he is the only guy out there promoting the changing of the law so that ALL aspects of government are subject to cuts, not just health care and education.

Agreed, it's hard to blame Jindal for what is set in stone via the state constitution. I hope this will eventually get changed, because healthcare and education are obviously vital to the state. Like it's been stated many times, we need to cut back on the number of four year universities and implement a solid juco system like Florida, Mississippi, Texas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ But, LSU is still Tier 1 along with Tulane.

It is interesting to see schools that are Tier 3 & 4

Tier 3

Ole Miss, Miss State, Oklahoma State, Nevada, New Mexico, S. Florida, Southern Miss, W. Virginia, Oregon State, Rutgers and Seton Hall

Tier 4

E. Carolina, FAU, FIU, New Mexico State, UNLV, N. Illinois, SDSU, UALR, UNO, N. Texas, UTEP, Houston, LA Tech and UL.

In the UL System, only LA Tech and UL are at least Tier 4. In the LSU System, UNO is Tier 4. No Louisiana schools are Tier 3.

Why is their no Tier 2? _
    In previous years, Tier 1 was the Top 50 schools.

The next 80 or so are Tier 2.

You're right, there's no Tier 2 this year.

That's because either a) there's a glitch on the website that lumps Tier 2 with Tier 1, or b) they did away with Tier 2.

Which is more likely?

So LSU is not Tier 1. They moved up to the bottom of Tier 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ In previous years, Tier 1 was the Top 50 schools.

The next 80 or so are Tier 2.

You're right, there's no Tier 2 this year.

That's because either a) there's a glitch on the website that lumps Tier 2 with Tier 1, or b) they did away with Tier 2.

Which is more likely?

So LSU is not Tier 1. They moved up to the bottom of Tier 2. _

Thanks for the history lesson. In past years, LSU would be considered Tier 2. Under the new system, they are Tier 1. Right?

12. Default Re: 2009 University Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Don't blame him. He's just doing what he has to do by law.

In fact, he is the only guy out there promoting the changing of the law so that ALL aspects of government are subject to cuts, not just health care and education. _
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that change.

Remember, in the field of education, it is only HIGHER education that is unprotected against budget cuts; K-12 IS protected by the Constitution. Twenty or more years ago, the Legislature passed a constitutional amendment for public vote that would have given higher education the same protection as K-12. IIRC, the teachers' unions and other educators decided such a change would effectively weaken the protection for K-12 and campaigned actively against the amendment. There some logic to that I guess -- if everyone were protected, then no one would really be protected, because cuts have to come from somewhere.

I remember standing in line to vote for that amendment. Several women were standing in front of me, and one asked another something like, "Which amendment are we supposed to vote against? You know, the one that will reduce funding for the teachers?" During the next few menutes, my vote was canceled several times over.

Everyone wants more funding for education. But if it is perceived to come down to K-12 versus colleges, K-12 will win every time. Everyone has at least one brother, sister, cousin, etc. that is a K-12 school teacher. OTOH, probably a small minority of UL professors are from around here and therefore have no relatives to vote in their favor. (I am fortunate to be one that is Cajun by birth.)

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Thanks for the history lesson. In past years, LSU would be considered Tier 2. Under the new system, they are Tier 1. Right? _
    Not quite.

In past years, LSU was Tier 3.

For this year, I listed two explanations, knowing that one of them (they no longer have a Tier 2) didn't make sense.

Leaving only one possibility, the explanation I've maintained all along: it's a typo, and LSU is Tier 2, probably just barely.

Which is an improvement, but they aren't up with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Not quite.

In past years, LSU was Tier 3.

For this year, I listed two explanations, knowing that one of them (they no longer have a Tier 2) didn't make sense.

Leaving only one possibility, the explanation I've maintained all along: it's a typo, and LSU is Tier 2, probably just barely.

Which is an improvement, but they aren't up with the big boys. _
    Yeah, it's a typo. Two years in a row. lol.

15. Default Re: 2009 University Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by tLSU View Post
    _ Yeah, it's a typo. Two years in a row. lol. _
    yeah, i doubt if mr fun would be quibbling about misprints if that ranking had UL in the same position. more likely screaming from the rooftops about its greatness.

hatred of LSU clouds the view of many on this board.

I think that we should all be ashamed that we have only one decently ranked public university. We should also be asking questions about that fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information