Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

Default Regents Shut Down Philosophy

I am very upset. Check out ultoday.com.

2. Default Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

This is a huge disappointment. Just to reiterate what you say in your article, I said this the other day on another thread:

As a scientist, I am probably about as far away from a philosopher as you can be; however, I believe that philosophy plays a vital role in the university environment. The thought processes and logical thinking skills developed in a philosophy class really add to the overall value of your education. I think it would be a terrible mistake to lose such a program, and a real testament to the lack of commitment to education this state suffers from. Philosophy seems like one of those cornerstone programs for a university: the difference between a technical or community college, and a university. The fact that some programs may be cut isn't even the main problem, its the fact that they are making their budget cuts in education that is the real problem. Education propagates success propagates wealth.

3. Default Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

Is there anything we can do about this?

4. Default Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

As fun's article states, how much money can this really be saving, and I don't think it can be much. I would like to see the UL faculty rally around them and make their voices heard.

Default Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I am very upset. Check out ultoday.com. _
    Better Philosophy then something really important. A degree in philosophy will get on the day shift at Burger King.

"Remember, no human condition is ever permanent. Then you will not be overjoyed in good fortune nor too scornful in misfortune."
    Socrates

In other words it ain't no big thing.

6. Default Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ Better Philosophy then something really important. A degree in philosophy will get on the day shift at Burger King.

"Remember, no human condition is ever permanent. Then you will not be overjoyed in good fortune nor too scornful in misfortune."
    Socrates

In other words it ain't no big thing. _
    First of all, a college degree might get you the manager position. Second, I believe that every program is important in that a university is not terrible unlike the food web, every college affects the others and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ This is a huge disappointment. Just to reiterate what you say in your article, I said this the other day on another thread:

As a scientist, I am probably about as far away from a philosopher as you can be; however, I believe that philosophy plays a vital role in the university environment. The thought processes and logical thinking skills developed in a philosophy class really add to the overall value of your education. I think it would be a terrible mistake to lose such a program, and a real testament to the lack of commitment to education this state suffers from. Philosophy seems like one of those cornerstone programs for a university: the difference between a technical or community college, and a university. The fact that some programs may be cut isn't even the main problem, its the fact that they are making their budget cuts in education that is the real problem. Education propagates success propagates wealth. _
    You're right.

Philosophy is so critically important, but to people who haven't studied it (or who didn't understand it), it's some froo-froo course for weirdos.

Which leads to a great irony: their lack of understanding of the discipline chronically shows up in their thinking, and so they become the equivalent of a poster child for disease or famine.

In essence, they become walking billboards showing the better-educated just what a lack of philosophy does to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ You're right.

Philosophy is so critically important, but to people who haven't studied it (or who didn't understand it), it's some froo-froo course for weirdos.

Which leads to a great irony: their lack of understanding of the discipline chronically shows up in their thinking, and so they become the equivalent of a poster child for disease or famine.

In essence, they become walking billboards showing the better-educated just what a lack of philosophy does to a person. _
    You speak as if this is the truth. What is truth? Is the sky blue? What if you are color blind.ZZzzzzz

Are they still offering classes in philosophy or are they shutting the entire program down. I know on ultoday it says getting a degree can no longer happen. Can someone clarify this?

I have a Question Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

Damn, I know one of the Philosophy professors at UL. Strange bird, but very nice. I just read the article from the Advertiser and it appears they will still offer most of the Philosophy courses. It also stated this move will save very little money for the state. IF you are going to keep most of the classes and it isn't going to save much money, why not just keep it as is?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun2010 View Post
    _ Are they still offering classes in philosophy or are they shutting the entire program down. I know on ultoday it says getting a degree can no longer happen. Can someone clarify this? _
    They met this AM. the only Philosophy degree program in the UL System is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Damn, I know one of the Philosophy professors at UL. Strange bird, but very nice. I just read the article from the Advertiser and it appears they will still offer most of the Philosophy courses. It also stated this move will save very little money for the state. IF you are going to keep most of the classes and it isn't going to save much money, why not just keep it as is? _
    Good question. Best answer I've heard is that they wanted to be "fair," so everybody lost something.

They cut a little fat here, a little there. "Oh, UL, you're already the leanest program in the state? Well, we won't cut any fat, then.

"We'll remove an arm."

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Regents Shut Down Philosophy

_ Better Philosophy then something really important. A degree in philosophy will get on the day shift at Burger King.

Socrates

In other words it ain't no big thing. _
    pretty cavalier of you, no?

_ You speak as if this is the truth. What is truth? Is the sky blue? What if you are color blind.ZZzzzzz _
    Here's some philosophy for you.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    _ Here's some philosophy for you.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. _
    That isn't Socrates or Aristotle etc Philosophy has no practical use. I had to take two classes of that garbage. I know it is a traditional offering for colleges but sorry I hated it. It would be the first thing I would cut.

Here's a good one."If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expect"

Very useful stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information