Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014: Where in the world is Cayenne?

Default 2014: Where in the world is Cayenne?

I thought this was interesting.thoughts?

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/n.enne/15365207/

Default Re: Where in the world is Cayenne?

Wherever he is he can stay the hell there for all eternity. It's ok to not have a mascot and just because he's "unique" doesn't mean it's a good thing. Ragin' Cajuns as a name represents this community a pepper doesn't embody the cajun spirit the community does.

Wow. How can an expert on branding be so totally wrong on this.

Unquestioningly we need a spirit leader. But we need it done right and not some laughingstock.

4. Default Re: Where in the world is Cayenne?

"UL does not have an official mascot, but Cayenne was introduced in 2000 after students chose the hot pepper as spirit leader to embody the unique way of life in south Louisiana.
    That is not what happened. There was no contest to find a mascot. In the most recent decade leading up to the forced planting of Cayenne, student publications used a BullGator rep almost exclusively.

What really happened was a combination of two factors; a Jackie Russo type company (out of state) and a one-off ticket campaign memory from 17 years prior.

1) UL spent a lot of money hiring some out of state Jackie Russo type branding agency whose idea of Louisiana was hot spicy food. Louisiana is flavor and spice, not hot sauce and certainly not the pepper itself. Congratulations Tabasco marketing.

2) Nelson Schexnayder (AD at the tome) was in love with a highly successful 1983 season ticket campaign for UL football that turned a football into a pepper.

Not taking anything away from the 1983 ticket drive, it was brilliant. But making a ticket drive from 17 years prior the primary focus of your entire brand was a total disconnect in logic and thinking it would or could transfer into a good mascot was foolish.

Ken Ardoin who at the time was on the UL Athletic Advisory Committee, tried to tell Nelson (through fax) that the concept looked like the Jolly Green Giant and subtly sent the message of distain by asking "is this part of our penance on earth?" Predicting it would cause UL (us) pain.

How true his gut feeling turned out to be. UL has spent many multiples of $8,000 trying to get Cayenne right, throwing good money after bad time and time again. Cayenne doesn't work.

jmo

5. Default Re: Where in the world is Cayenne?

Zydeco the BullGator.

Oh by the way, he can wear shoes and smile.

Hell yes!

The pepper is crap. Let it die.
    Im in favor of the Gator!!

I'll probably get a red dot for this, but I still think you guys are overlooking the greatness of Cayenne. Why we would want to embrace something so pedestrian and overdone as a gator escapes me. Why are we running toward mediocrity? Why not wear all white unis and go back to bulldogs? That would be safe, right? While we are at it, let's do away with cheers like "Allons Rouge" and adopt safer cheers like "Block that kick." We have absolutely THE greatest thing on earth going for us (Cajun culture), right here under our noses, and some of you fellas want to de-emphasize it. There is nothing about a gator that is particular to Cajuns. Those critters can be found all over the place. (Hell, one of 'em just bit a kid in Lake Pontchartrain and I would hardly call THAT Cajun country.) NO ONE else is going to rock the pepper like we do. Some of you guys want to do away with it because it isn't macho enough. That just makes no sense to me at all. Cayenne helps us build our brand better than anything else, and that is all I care about. Leave the dang pepper alone.

I honestly think you fellas need to rethink this.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Just bring back the damn chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    I'll probably get a red dot for this, but I still think you guys are overlooking the greatness of Cayenne. Why we would want to embrace something so pedestrian and overdone as a gator escapes me. Why are we running toward mediocrity? Why not wear all white unis and go back to bulldogs? That would be safe, right? While we are at it, let's do away with cheers like "Allons Rouge" and adopt safer cheers like "Block that kick." We have absolutely THE greatest thing on earth going for us (Cajun culture), right here under our noses, and some of you fellas want to de-emphasize it. There is nothing about a gator that is particular to Cajuns. Those critters can be found all over the place. (Hell, one of 'em just bit a kid in Lake Pontchartrain and I would hardly call THAT Cajun country.) NO ONE else is going to rock the pepper like we do. Some of you guys want to do away with it because it isn't macho enough. That just makes no sense to me at all. Cayenne helps us build our brand better than anything else, and that is all I care about. Leave the dang pepper alone.

I honestly think you fellas need to rethink this.
    I never understood the hate against the pepper on the uni's and merchandise. Folks around the nation associate that with our school and with all the name confusion I believe we need that.

The mascot Cayenne, however, is atrocious and needs to be brought out back and put away for good. I don't know what they answer is regarding a mascot, but no more scary sea monster pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Zydeco the BullGator.

Oh by the way, he can wear shoes and smile.
    Outside perspective: whoever designed that Gator did an excellent job! It should be the new mascot for the Ice Gators though
    Y'all don't want a gator for a "spirit leader". Eventhough y'all named Cajun Field "The Swamp" long before U of Florida did, national perception would be that UL is copying them with field name & mascot. Also, Florida's big booster in is called the "Bull Gators."
    Y'all need something unique like the culture in Acadiana. Since no one wants to bring back a true Ragin Cajun "swamp man".I say a Crawfish named Claude would suffice.

Catahoula. State dog.

Tennessee has the Hound.

A&M has got the Collie.

Louisiana has the Catahoula

Worst thing to come out of that beatdown Saturday? Another mascot thread.

People have complained about every mascot that we have had. People hated the Ragin Cajun when we had him, people disliked the bulldog when we had him, some people disliked the chicken, especially since it had nothing in common with the university and looked like it was stolen from a chicken joint, and people disliked the pepper. So there are going to be detractors to whatever is chosen and really the spirit costumes are more for the kids in my opinion than anything

the Rougarou would be a great fit unique to Cajun culture and pretty badass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information