Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ole Miss travelers.

Default Ole Miss travelers.

Isn't I-10 down to one lane for construction around Baton Rouge?

Default Re: Ole Miss travelers.

going to State you may be better going north and taking 20 across to Jackson and then going north from there, not sure but that may be an option to check on google maps

I have been traveling from Lafayette to Indianapolis every other month for the last 3 years. Most of the time I travel through Jackson because my aunt and uncle live in Brandon just outside of Jackson. Almost always the lanes are open going through Baton Rouge, but you can never tell when an accident will shut it down. Also, almost every bridge in Mississippi is under construction along the interstates and the traffic goes down to 1 lane. There is major construction both south and north of Jackson, about 5-10 miles in both direction. I have often wanted to try and go through Monroe to see how that drive would be but just couldn't bring myself to travel that way. If someone does go that way I would be interested to know how it works out for future trips.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I have been traveling from Lafayette to Indianapolis every other month for the last 3 years. Most of the time I travel through Jackson because my aunt and uncle live in Brandon just outside of Jackson. Almost always the lanes are open going through Baton Rouge, but you can never tell when an accident will shut it down. Also, almost every bridge in Mississippi is under construction along the interstates and the traffic goes down to 1 lane. There is major construction both south and north of Jackson, about 5-10 miles in both direction. I have often wanted to try and go through Monroe to see how that drive would be but just couldn't bring myself to travel that way. If someone does go that way I would be interested to know how it works out for future trips.
    So in your expert opinion, whats the best way to travel Friday?

Unless traffic will back you up for 2-3 hours, it will still be faster to take I10 to I12 to I55.

Going to Monroe then East to Jackson will add about 2 hours to your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    So in your expert opinion, whats the best way to travel Friday?
    Man good question. If I was leaving around 7 PM on Friday evening I would probably travel through Baton Rouge and travel through Jackson. If I was leaving at 3, 4 or 5 I would probably head north on 49. Although there is a lot of construction going on around Jackson and the bridges, I have never been delayed because of the construction. Again I've left later on a Friday evening as opposed 3 or 4 PM.

Man good question. If I was leaving around 7 PM on Friday evening I would probably travel through Baton Rouge and travel through Jackson. If I was leaving at 3, 4 or 5 I would probably head north on 49. Although there is a lot of construction going on around Jackson and the bridges, I have never been delayed because of the construction. Again I've left later on a Friday evening as opposed 3 or 4 PM.
    I hope to be through stinky town by noon.

I've done the LFT to Jackson via Alexandria and Monroe. It's a bit slow.

Quote Originally Posted by burdman View Post
    Unless traffic will back you up for 2-3 hours, it will still be faster to take I10 to I12 to I55.

Going to Monroe then East to Jackson will add about 2 hours to your trip.
    Agree I would not take 20 over to Jackson. I would continue north and cross the river at Greenville HWY 82/278. All things being equal with traffic it would add about 1 1/2 to the trip.

There is also a lot of construction between Denham Springs and Hammond on i12. The speed limit is 60 the majority of the way. Might be better taking the old bridge in Baton Rouge to 61 North and maybe going through Yazoo City to 55N

Melrock,
    I will be leaving Lafayette around 3:30 Friday afternoon and don't want to risk getting caught in that Friday traffic on I-10 into and through Baton Rouge. I am planning on taking I-49 to Alexandria, then heading east to Ferriday and then north to I-20. According to Map Quest, this route is only 44 miles longer, but obviously not all interstate. But only have to travel to Granada on Friday. Might be a mistake on my part, but I think I'll give it a try. If nothing else, it will be a scenic route! HaHaHa.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Melrock,
    I will be leaving Lafayette around 3:30 Friday afternoon and don't want to risk getting caught in that Friday traffic on I-10 into and through Baton Rouge. I am planning on taking I-49 to Alexandria, then heading east to Ferriday and then north to I-20. According to Map Quest, this route is only 44 miles longer, but obviously not all interstate. But only have to travel to Granada on Friday. Might be a mistake on my part, but I think I'll give it a try. If nothing else, it will be a scenic route! HaHaHa.
    I'd be curious about your experience when you get back. My main think is to avoid Refineryville at all cost. Between the basin and just going through that town you are asking to get caught in a traffic jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Melrock,
    Duggie, that's not a bad route. We took it a couple of years back heading to Memphis. Picked up my son at work in Pineville. The land is flat with few towns once you head north on 65. You only go through Jonesville and Ferriday to slow you down a little. You end up well east of Monroe in Tallulah.

I'm still considering my route for Friday. Will probably do the traditional way because we're leaving before noon.

So looking at mapquest I49 to LA28E, to US84E to Natchez, Hwy 61 to I55 is only 416 miles. Doesn't sound that far out the way.

so where is everyone sitting. I got word late that I am able to go and i have to get tickets through stub hub.

We're in Sec K, row 25

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information