Thread: Asst. Coaches Salaries

Default Asst. Coaches Salaries

I saw this in The Advocate this morning:

"John Chavis, the new defensive coordinator/linebackers coach, is making $450,000 per year with the LSU football program. The two new defensive assistants, Brick Haley and Ron Cooper, each pull in $200,000."

I know the big time programs are paying their assistants well. Greg Davis, the OC at Texas, has made almost $500K for a couple of years now. Even defensive assistants are making as much as UL's head coach. That is pretty rediculous. A program like UL's should be paying its head coach at least as much as a Coordinator at a major program. Coaches at schools like Tulsa and Rice are getting $1M. Now that the RCAF is in force, I suspect salaries will be brought up to a higher level in the next couple of years.

Default Re: Asst. Coaches Salaries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ I saw this in The Advocate this morning:

"John Chavis, the new defensive coordinator/linebackers coach, is making $450,000 per year with the LSU football program. The two new defensive assistants, Brick Haley and Ron Cooper, each pull in $200,000."

I know the big time programs are paying their assistants well. Greg Davis, the OC at Texas, has made almost $500K for a couple of years now. Even defensive assistants are making as much as UL's head coach. That is pretty rediculous. A program like UL's should be paying its head coach at least as much as a Coordinator at a major program. Coaches at schools like Tulsa and Rice are getting $1M. Now that the RCAF is in force, I suspect salaries will be brought up to a higher level in the next couple of years. _
    The RCAF is going to take some time to build. I expect to see a slight increase in coaches salaries like 5-10 grand for assistants, 20-25 grand for coordinators, and maybe 50 grand for head coaches in the next few years. We must understand that most of the donations to the RCAF should be used to build an endowment and then facility improvements. After this there will not be much left over for the coaches. This will take some time, maybe 10 years before the endowment is worth much. And a good endowment is one that you only spend the interest earned.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    _ The RCAF is going to take some time to build. I expect to see a slight increase in coaches salaries like 5-10 grand for assistants, 20-25 grand for coordinators, and maybe 50 grand for head coaches in the next few years. We must understand that most of the donations to the RCAF should be used to build an endowment and then facility improvements. After this there will not be much left over for the coaches. This will take some time, maybe 10 years before the endowment is worth much. And a good endowment is one that you only spend the interest earned. _
    Agreed. It should be understood that this is not a slush fund of some sort that will all of a sudden cure what ails this program or any other athletic program. As fans, we have been short on patience for quite some time but that is exactly what is needed here. This athletic dept. has so many things on the agenda that need to be improved or tweaked that they will have to spend the money that does come in judiciously and evenly. Unless we get some big time donations, getting some salary increases right now will be difficult. Remember, we potentially have two basketball coaches and a football coach to buy out if this next season is a flop. As many people have stated, its time for Coach Bustle to take the next step with this program and this could be the year to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Agreed. It should be understood that this is not a slush fund of some sort that will all of a sudden cure what ails this program or any other athletic program. As fans, we have been short on patience for quite some time but that is exactly what is needed here. This athletic dept. has so many things on the agenda that need to be improved or tweaked that they will have to spend the money that does come in judiciously and evenly. Unless we get some big time donations, getting some salary increases right now will be difficult. Remember, we potentially have two basketball coaches and a football coach to buy out if this next season is a flop. As many people have stated, its time for Coach Bustle to take the next step with this program and this could be the year to do it. _
    Until the admin proves different I don't think we will be making any coaching changes next year, except Lee and that is because his contract is up. if bustle breaks even at 6-6 he will not be going anywhere. Might even get an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Until the admin proves different I don't think we will be making any coaching changes next year, except Lee and that is because his contract is up. if bustle breaks even at 6-6 he will not be going anywhere. Might even get an extension. _
    Gosh, I must be one of those terrible, unreasonable type fans that get talked bout and didn't even know it cause 6-6 bout a decade in wouldn't get an extension from me.no way and no how. I know I haven't walked in the Cajun administration shoes, but.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Agreed. It should be understood that this is not a slush fund of some sort that will all of a sudden cure what ails this program or any other athletic program. As fans, we have been short on patience for quite some time but that is exactly what is needed here. This athletic dept. has so many things on the agenda that need to be improved or tweaked that they will have to spend the money that does come in judiciously and evenly. Unless we get some big time donations, getting some salary increases right now will be difficult. Remember, we potentially have two basketball coaches and a football coach to buy out if this next season is a flop. As many people have stated, its time for Coach Bustle to take the next step with this program and this could be the year to do it. _

My point is that we could conceivably have 3 major coaching changes next year. Personally, I hope only the 2 basketball coaches as I would really like for Bustle to take us to a bowl game and be around a while. But, for the sake of discussion, let's say there are 3. In order to get a quality football coach and given what other comparable mid-major programs are paying, we will have to pay much more than we are currently contracted for. I would think the football HC salary would be closer to the $500K that OC at BCS schools are making. Basketball coaches would be less, but still higher than we are paying now. We lost a very good women's bball coach because of our salary structure (and his desire to coach at a BCS school). But, the grass is not always greener as he found out this year. We lost a softball coach a few years ago because of salary. We have a bargain price currently for head coaches, all head coaches. All of this is changing for the better with the RCAF and facililty improvements in softball, baseball, football, track & field and academic facilities. I agree on how the RCAF is to be used. Increased revenue from attendance and season ticket sales resulting from improved facilities and improved play on the field is what will pay for the higher salaries. If we truly no longer want to be 1A bottom dwellers, we are going to have to improve facilities and fork up more dollars for our coaches. And with our committment to improve facilities and salaries comes our expectations of post-season play in all sports.

I really dont think paying bustle and his guys more with get us better results.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    _ I really dont think paying bustle and his guys more with get us better results. _
    But it could get us better coaches in the future if we are able to pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ My point is that we could conceivably have 3 major coaching changes next year. Personally, I hope only the 2 basketball coaches as I would really like for Bustle to take us to a bowl game and be around a while. But, for the sake of discussion, let's say there are 3. In order to get a quality football coach and given what other comparable mid-major programs are paying, we will have to pay much more than we are currently contracted for. I would think the football HC salary would be closer to the $500K that OC at BCS schools are making. Basketball coaches would be less, but still higher than we are paying now. We lost a very good women's bball coach because of our salary structure (and his desire to coach at a BCS school). But, the grass is not always greener as he found out this year. We lost a softball coach a few years ago because of salary. We have a bargain price currently for head coaches, all head coaches. All of this is changing for the better with the RCAF and facililty improvements in softball, baseball, football, track & field and academic facilities. I agree on how the RCAF is to be used. Increased revenue from attendance and season ticket sales resulting from improved facilities and improved play on the field is what will pay for the higher salaries. If we truly no longer want to be 1A bottom dwellers, we are going to have to improve facilities and fork up more dollars for our coaches. And with our committment to improve facilities and salaries comes our expectations of post-season play in all sports. _
    Absolutely. I don't want Bustle to go anywhere if he is able to do something this year in the win column. I, too, believe that unless we have a major breakdown this year and the quality of product on the field takes a big dive, he will be our coach in the near future. We lead the conference in attendance and that should not change this year as well and I also think that paying he and his assistants more will not get us better play. In order to bring in a good assistant in the near future, we'd have to obviously pony up more for Bustle. If the university is willing to do this, then I'd prefer to get a bigger name in here. With everything in line to get benefits from the RCAF, coaches salaries will only be a small part of this since they are paid through the state budget, not necessarily through private funding. Only the buyouts would directly come from the RCAF.

Thread Information