Thread: Cajuns OFFER Two Backs!

UL Football Cajuns OFFER Two Backs!

The Cajuns have offered two RB's this summer that are great prospects.
    Tyler Benoit 6-1,195 rushed for 930 yrds 15 tds last year at Comeaux High. Benoit also ran a 10.6 in 100 meters this year. Jakouri Williams 5-11, 190 rushed for 1464 yrds,12tds last year at Plaquemine High. Both kids are highly recruited. The Cajuns are also said to be in on Carencro LB 6-1,215 Jim Garren and DL 6-3,260 Demarus Carmouche

Great scoop Guru, what do you think our chances are with these kids?

UL Football

It's hard to say this early SwampFox. But Louisiana has it's share of good backs this year and maybe we can get one of these guys. I thinks it's important for coach Bustle to get a big time back this year, given his history. We have a future QB in Williams and WR in Jackson, but no highly touted back to add to this list. I think this will be the year.

4. Default

Great news.

Do you think getting a highly touted back, would attract big time linemen?

UL Football

WOULD LOVE TO GET THE WILLIAMS KID, BEEN WATCHING HIM FOR THREE YEARS. HE'S THE REAL DEAL. HOWEVER HE IS ALMOST A SHOE IN FOR MICHIGAN . COACH FOR PLAQUEMINE DON JONES AND COACH CARR FROM MICHIGAN ARE GOOD FRIENDS. WILLIAMS HAS VISITED MICHIGAN SEVERAL TIMES AND COACH CARR HAS BEEN RECRUITING WILLIAMS SINCE HE WAS A FRESHMAN.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START

6. Default

Originally posted by tirk61
    WOULD LOVE TO GET THE WILLIAMS KID, BEEN WATCHING HIM FOR THREE YEARS. HE'S THE REAL DEAL. HOWEVER HE IS ALMOST A SHOE IN FOR MICHIGAN . . .
    However it turns out, thanks for that info. I'm excited to see the calibre of player the Bustle staff is going after.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Cajuns face some pretty stiff competition for Williams, as Florida State, Michigan, Auburn, Nebraska and Tennessee have all offered as well.

Cajuns are reportedly recruiting, Jerry Fairchild a 6'0" WR/S from Baton Rouge
    Cris Guy LB from Baton Rouge 6'1" 220
    Reese Martin, an OG from Texas 6'3" 275lbs.
    Paul Johnson 6'0" 180lb safety with offers from both the Cajuns and tulane
    Claude Wroten from Miss. Delta CC a 6'3" 315lb DT who holds offers from Florida, LSU, Miss. State, Tenn. and Texas A&M in addition to the Cajuns.

One of our players is meeting a prospect and his family tomorrow. Will let you know when I hear more.

UL Football

This is a very good year for RB’s in Louisiana this year. We have two of the best in the Acadiana area. But here is a list of the best in the state. Some of these kids can play more then one position.

Jay Lucas 5-11,225 Redemptorist High
    Jakouri Williams 5-11,190 Plaquemine
    Jerald Watson 5-11, 205 Cent. Cath. Morgan City
    Derron Thomas 6-0,185 E.St.John
    Chris Markey 5-11, 195 Jesuit
    Darius Raynard 5-10, 185 Hahnville
    Kendrick Smith 5-11, 190 Patterson
    Tyler Beniot 6-1, 195 Comeaux

If anyone watched the 3A championship game last year in the dome, then you will remember both Jay Lucas and Kendrick Smith. I believe Lucas is the best in the state this year. But all of these guys are being highly recruited. The Cajuns have a shot at Benoit, Williams and Smith. Let’s hope they land one of them.

UL Football

What about Early Doucet? Did he commit to anyone already?

UL Football

Early Doucet is a national recruit. Some recruiting services have him rated the #1 WR prospect in the country. If his grades are in order, he could stay in state and play for LSU. But that is not a lock.

From the Morning Advocate -

PBS' Burkhalter puts pieces together for senior campaign

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
    Advocate sportswriter

It was a play that had the makings of being accidental at best. With Parkview Baptist in the midst of one of the most dominant displays in a state championship football game in recent memory, a squib kickoff and subsequent recovery went a long way in solidifying the Eagles' eventual crown and the future of a sophomore linebacker.

The Eagles, who trailed 19-7 after the opening 13 minutes against Belle Chasse in the 2001 Class 3A state title game, scored a touchdown to pull to within five points and were in the process of kicking the ball away midway through the second quarter.

That's when reserve linebacker Brenton Burkhalter, already on course for a breakout game, recovered Patrick Spikes' ensuing kick 44 yards away from another potential score.

Burkhalter's recovery turned out to be the catalyst in Parkview's second-quarter blitz, a seven-minute stretch where the Eagles turned a 12-point deficit into a 35-19 halftime lead and eventually an impressive 61-19 demolition to complete a perfect 15-0 season.

"My best game of the season was the state championship game," Burkhalter said of his four special-teams tackles and opportunistic fumble recovery that opened the door for three successive second-quarter touchdowns. "I was really pumped up for that game. That (fumble recovery) was when we just started rolling and the momentum changed."

Parkview Baptist defensive coordinator Jay Mayet said the game proved to be a springboard of sorts for Burkhalter's career, which primarily consisted of special-teams play while he waited in the shadows of standout linebackers Anthony Camp and Al Woodruff.

"You see it in a kid . when the light comes on," Mayet said. "Brenton's light came on in the state championship game. We knew he was going to be a good player, but in that game we realized he was going to be a very good player. He was always physical, always aggressive, like he is now. But other than special teams he never saw the field in a competitive situation."

BURKHALTER FILE
    NAME: Brenton Burkhalter, Parkview Baptist
    POSITIONS: Linebacker, fullback

SIZE: 6-foot-1, 220 pounds

SCHOLARSHIP OFFER: University of Louisiana at Lafayette

SCHOOLS OF INTEREST: Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Mississippi, Texas Tech, Tulane, Vanderbilt

2002 STATISTICS: 148 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, five caused fumbles, two fumble recoveries, two interceptions

2002 HONORS: First team Class 3A All-State, First team All-Metro, First team All-District 8-3A.

Because of Camp, a first team all-stater, and Woodruff, an honorable mention selection, there was little room for Burkhalter, who kept an intent eye on both seniors while patiently biding his time.

That finally arrived last season and Burkhalter, 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds, took advantage with a performance reminis cent of that of his predecessors.

"I liked the way Anthony flew to the ball," Burkhalter said. "Al had really good instincts and could read really well. He kind of helped me along with that. They were also both good leaders."

Burkhalter started in all 13 of Parkview's games last season, displaying his toughness in stopping the run with more than 10 tackles per game as well as his ability to drop back into pass coverage with a pair of interceptions.

In just his first full season, Burkhalter was selected to the first team on the all-district, all-metro and all-state teams.

"No. 1, he's smart," Parkview head coach Kenny Guillot said. "He's got good speed and he's a physical player. College coaches like the fact that when he fills the hole and tackles somebody, they go backward. He really gets to the ball in a hurry and drops back in coverage very fast. He just does a great job."

College coaches have certainly taken an interest in Burkhalter, who played fullback in Parkview's spring game with Amite and was one of only three players to play on both sides of the football for the Eagles.

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is the lone school to offer Burkhalter a scholarship to date. He has received a wide array of interest from other schools, attended "Junior Days" at LSU and Mississippi State and plans to take part in a camp at Oklahoma State.

It's all part of the dream that Burkhalter, who was born and raised in Ruston, envisioned and ardently desires to experience.

"My mom went to LSU and then to Louisiana Tech," said Burkhalter, a 3.5 student who has scored as high as 26 on the ACT. "I always went to LSU games. I think everyone in Louisiana's going to love LSU when they're younger. I always dreamed of playing for LSU, but now that I'm older it's whoever wants me the most is where I'm going to go.

"Whoever shows me the most interest, where I know I can play. I'm one of those kids that dreamt of being a big college star and wanting to go on and play pro football. I'm hoping on living them."

Burkhalter's been a mainstay during Parkview's offseason workouts, trying to improve his strength (320 bench, 420 squat and 315 power clean) and reduce his 40-yard dash time from 4.7 to 4.6, and possibly 4.5 through his diligence at a speed camp.

"I want to show some schools that I'm faster than they think I am," Burkhalter said. "I have good instincts, but I need to work on my quickness a little. I've heard coaches say I have quick feet. But I still think I need to be quicker because the college level is fast."

Burkhalter's equally intent on helping Parkview return to the pinnacle of Class 3A football -- the state championship -- after finishing 10-3 with a bitter home loss to St. James in the state quarterfinals.

"He's an all-around player," Mayet said. "He does everything we ask him to do. You can look at his statistics and tell, he's one of those players that's going to be around the ball."

Tyler Benoit

Surely we can get Dwight Lindon to talk us up to his fellow Spartan

Thread Information