Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: What happened to Cook?

Default Re: What happened to Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    My concern is Tyler Benzel. Anybody know whats up with him? He was hot early, played the best defensive third of anyone, and now he has sniffed the lineup in over a week. Is he injured? _
    Well it would have been hard to sit Keefer or Griffen this weekend. Keefer has started every game this season and is our most consistent hitter. I know he had a couple of errors but he has been good in the field. It would be difficult to move him to catcher because of how good defensively Griffen is and the fact that he is getting his bat going for the first time in his career at UL. Its extremely difficult for guys to steal on Thad.

I'm sure we'll see some lineup mixing soon, but we werent struggling too bad there. Benzel will get his shot if he's not hurt.

2. Default Re: What happened to Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Well it would have been hard to sit Keefer or Griffen this weekend. Keefer has started every game this season and is our most consistent hitter. I know he had a couple of errors but he has been good in the field. It would be difficult to move him to catcher because of how good defensively Griffen is and the fact that he is getting his bat going for the first time in his career at UL. Its extremely difficult for guys to steal on Thad.

I'm sure we'll see some lineup mixing soon, but we werent struggling too bad there. Benzel will get his shot if he's not hurt. _
    I took those things into consideration, but I was a bit baffled when Tyler didn't get any PT against the cowgirls. Once Goulas is healthy enough to play in the field, we could DH Keefer, and put Tyler at 3rd. Only thing is, I think our best OF is Olason, Whip, and Smith.

Either way, its good to have a depth issue like this

We were talking about that this weekend. When Goulas is healthy enough to play the field who gives?? Who do you take out and whose stick are we going to lose?

I would play Goulas, Olasin, Smith in the field.
    I would keep Keefer's stick definitely in the lineup.
    Then you have to figure out how to get both Benzel and Whipple in therewhich is not a bad thing to have to deal with.

We have 3 bats that should be in the lineup every game but it's just impossible to have. Any team would be lucky to have Alex Fuse, Whip, & Benz as their starters!

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    _ We were talking about that this weekend. When Goulas is healthy enough to play the field who gives?? Who do you take out and whose stick are we going to lose?

I would play Goulas, Olasin, Smith in the field.
    I would keep Keefer's stick definitely in the lineup.
    Then you have to figure out how to get both Benzel and Whipple in therewhich is not a bad thing to have to deal with.

We have 3 bats that should be in the lineup every game but it's just impossible to have. Any team would be lucky to have Alex Fuse, Whip, & Benz as their starters! _
    I don't think teams would be willing to have a player hitting 218. Now they may want this player on the bump! you gotta keep Whip in the line-up. Benzel will not play in the field very often because Keefer will man up 3rd for the rest of this year. Goulas will be in Left field, Olasin in Center, Smith in Right, Whip DH Maybe Benzel gets in as a DH against Lefties?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2bag View Post
    _ I don't think teams would be willing to have a player hitting 218. Now they may want this player on the bump! you gotta keep Whip in the line-up. Benzel will not play in the field very often because Keefer will man up 3rd for the rest of this year. Goulas will be in Left field, Olasin in Center, Smith in Right, Whip DH Maybe Benzel gets in as a DH against Lefties? _
    As a side note, he is referring to Fuselier for the .218 comment.

6. Default Re: What happened to Cook?

_ I don't think teams would be willing to have a player hitting 218. Now they may want this player on the bump! you gotta keep Whip in the line-up. Benzel will not play in the field very often because Keefer will man up 3rd for the rest of this year. Goulas will be in Left field, Olasin in Center, Smith in Right, Whip DH Maybe Benzel gets in as a DH against Lefties? _
    We have to keep in Whip in the lineup. We need is lefty bat, and I like his consistency at the plate. He also plays a great LF. His arm is extremely strong and if I'm not mistaken, leads the team with 5 OF assists.

I think Keefer can play better at third, but so far, Benzel has been the most fluid 3-bagger we've had all season. Makes the throw everytime, and moves well laterally. His stick was there as well I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ We have to keep in Whip in the lineup. We need is lefty bat, and I like his consistency at the plate. He also plays a great LF. His arm is extremely strong and if I'm not mistaken, leads the team with 5 OF assists.

I think Keefer can play better at third, but so far, Benzel has been the most fluid 3-bagger we've had all season. Makes the throw everytime, and moves well laterally. His stick was there as well I don't know. _
    Are we suggesting that we should go ahead and bench our most consistant hitter so we can replace him with someone that doesn't hit as well and fielded under 900 over the course of a full season?

I gotta think that Keefer will be playing 3rd, as long as he keeps hitting and doesn't just boot everything.

8. Default Re: What happened to Cook?

_ Are we suggesting that we should go ahead and bench our most consistant hitter so we can replace him with someone that doesn't hit as well and fielded under 900 over the course of a full season?

I gotta think that Keefer will be playing 3rd, as long as he keeps hitting and doesn't just boot everything. _
    I'm suggesting that the hot corner was a problem last year, and is still not solidified. We need stability there, and Keefer is not the answer defensively. He's been better than hicks (which thats not hard to do) and okay most of the time, but he gets shaky in key moments. He hurries his throws because of his lack of quickness, and that could be very costly down the road. You saw this weekend how errors can demoralize an entire team.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not a HUGE issue. Keefer has done an average job, but this is still something of concern. The coaching staff has mentioned it several times. By no means do I want his bat to be benched, thats for sure. I liked what Robe did this weekend, by moving him down to 6th and 7th in the lineup. Added some pop to that latter part, and worked out well.

Broussard to start tomorrow per Bab. Fuselier, Osbourne, Wilborn weekend too.

Bab said Cook will get his chance like Osbourne did out of the pen.

Sorry guys but Hawkins is not a 1st baseman. He has cost us before on defense and it will happen again. When Goulas returns to the field, I would play Keefer at 1st and Benzel at 3rd with Hawkins batting DH. The outfield should consist of Goulas in left, Olasin in center, and Smith in right. Whipple should be our 1st pinch-hitter off the bench and can play either 1st or OF, and with our versitile defense many players could easily switch around. So he could bat for Keefer, Benzel, any outfielder or even the DH. Fuslier could be the second pinch hitter or maybe Harst against lefties but Fuslier could also pinch run. Bowman needs to redshirt.

I am still not comfortable with Greg Fontenot at short (although his fielding % is ok and he is making most plays, he seems to bobble most balls hit to him and he has a 2nd basemen arm. I would like to see Long back at short and move Fontenot to second with Bostick used as a pinch runner, defensive replacement, and double switches. Long will add more pop to the line up.

I hope Harst can make it back to last year's form hitting the ball as he is very versitle playing OF, C, or 1st. Griffen's bat is very inconsistent and he will slump at times this year as he has trouble not striking out. Harst could be used as a pinch hitter here also.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    _ Sorry guys but Hawkins is not a 1st baseman. He has cost us before on defense and it will happen again. When Goulas returns to the field, I would play Keefer at 1st and Benzel at 3rd with Hawkins batting DH. The outfield should consist of Goulas in left, Olasin in center, and Smith in right. Whipple should be our 1st pinch-hitter off the bench and can play either 1st or OF, and with our versitile defense many players could easily switch around. So he could bat for Keefer, Benzel, any outfielder or even the DH. Fuslier could be the second pinch hitter or maybe Harst against lefties but Fuslier could also pinch run. Bowman needs to redshirt.

I am still not comfortable with Greg Fontenot at short (although his fielding % is ok and he is making most plays, he seems to bobble most balls hit to him and he has a 2nd basemen arm. I would like to see Long back at short and move Fontenot to second with Bostick used as a pinch runner, defensive replacement, and double switches. Long will add more pop to the line up.

I hope Harst can make it back to last year's form hitting the ball as he is very versitle playing OF, C, or 1st. Griffen's bat is very inconsistent and he will slump at times this year as he has trouble not striking out. Harst could be used as a pinch hitter here also. _
    Your right Long would add more pop to the line upYou could hear the ball pop as it hits the catchers mitwhat is it about Will Long that makes people think he can hit/field. He has done nothing since he has been here. Hes a career 220 hitter and make error after error. I would leave fontnote in the game.

I also keep Whipple in the line-up at DH with Hawkins at first and keefer at 3rd. Again Benzel is not as good a hitter as those guys and he fields under 900 for his career, but I guess thats good enough for you to nab the starting 3rd base job.

Bostick catches everything hit his way. He's not out there to drive in 50 runs. Fontenot has raised his BA 125 points since last year and his fielding % 30 points. He might be a candidate for most improved position player, after Griffin. The infield is much better this year. If it ain't broke

13. Default Re: What happened to Cook?

_ Sorry guys but Hawkins is not a 1st baseman. He has cost us before on defense and it will happen again. When Goulas returns to the field, I would play Keefer at 1st and Benzel at 3rd with Hawkins batting DH. The outfield should consist of Goulas in left, Olasin in center, and Smith in right. Whipple should be our 1st pinch-hitter off the bench and can play either 1st or OF, and with our versitile defense many players could easily switch around. So he could bat for Keefer, Benzel, any outfielder or even the DH. Fuslier could be the second pinch hitter or maybe Harst against lefties but Fuslier could also pinch run. Bowman needs to redshirt.

I hope Harst can make it back to last year's form hitting the ball as he is very versitle playing OF, C, or 1st. Griffen's bat is very inconsistent and he will slump at times this year as he has trouble not striking out. Harst could be used as a pinch hitter here also. _
    Robe won't DH Scotty. He's giving him the respect to give him a chance to be drafted, and the only way that will happen is if he plays in the field.
    I'm ok with Fontenot at SS, being that I think his potential is yet to be realizes in all aspects.
    Harst's situation doesn't look like a good one right now. And Bowman should, and will end up redshirting.

14. Default Re: What happened to Cook?

I agree about Hawkins--man he can't find the bag and just looks unsure of himself!!!!

_ Your right Long would add more pop to the line upYou could hear the ball pop as it hits the catchers mitwhat is it about Will Long that makes people think he can hit/field. He has done nothing since he has been here. Hes a career 220 hitter and make error after error. I would leave fontnote in the game.

I also keep Whipple in the line-up at DH with Hawkins at first and keefer at 3rd. Again Benzel is not as good a hitter as those guys and he fields under 900 for his career, but I guess thats good enough for you to nab the starting 3rd base job. _
    Coach Bab and Trahan have said Long was the most improved player on the squad during the fall and spring. He is a natural SS and Fontenot position is 2nd base, he doesn't have the arm to play SS. He has done a fine job of filling in, but we are going to be better up the middle with him at SS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information