Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Right Call. thats just bull****

Default Right Call. thats just bull****

I've been thinking about it since Friday. IF the university (IE: Walker) felt it was the right call why wait until friday at noon to release the information? By monday most will be tired of talking about it. It was a calculated call by an AD that never did expect to release either coach.

I did like the fact that Josh mentioned the money that would have went to buyout will now sweeten the pot for the next coach (if/when) lee fails. I think we all know that we will try to shortchange whomever is thinking about this job. Its clear this university just doesn't have (or doesn't want) to spend the money age get the best coach available.

Default Re: Right Call. thats just bull****

i'm just curious.what are we fans going to do if the unthinkable happens and Robert Lee succeeds? I'm willing to admit if I turn out to be wrong.are you?
    igeaux.mobi

No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    i'm just curious.what are we fans going to do if the unthinkable happens and Robert Lee succeeds? I'm willing to admit if I turn out to be wrong.are you?
    igeaux.mobi
    igeaux.mobi

_ i'm just curious.what are we fans going to do if the unthinkable happens and Robert Lee succeeds? I'm willing to admit if I turn out to be wrong.are you?
    igeaux.mobi _
    I'll be happy to admit if I am wrong. But how do we measure success? Given the past couple of years does one season of improvement warrent a new contract? I was all for the extension when his last contract was up because he seemed to be moving in the right direction. But instead we have gone backwards. IMO, while a great guy, he cannot get it done and it is time to go in a new direction.

And going in a new direction also means a new AD who will conduct a real talent search to find us a coach that we can afford who will also be able to do things the right way and win (the two are not mutually exclusive). Now finding that guy may not be easy but that is why you get professional athletic adminstrators to do a professional, nationwide search not some half-assed bargain basement search with input from the director of the student union. That is the kind of thing an athletic foundation can pay for. Of course you need professionals in the administration with the foesight to have that kind of estblished foundation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ I'll be happy to admit if I am wrong. But how do we measure success? Given the past couple of years does one season of improvement warrent a new contract? I was all for the extension when his last contract was up because he seemed to be moving in the right direction. But instead we have gone backwards. IMO, while a great guy, he cannot get it done and it is time to go in a new direction.

And going in a new direction also means a new AD who will conduct a real talent search to find us a coach that we can afford who will also be able to do things the right way and win (the two are not mutually exclusive). Now finding that guy may not be easy but that is why you get professional athletic adminstrators to do a professional, nationwide search not some half-assed bargain basement search with input from the director of the student union. That is the kind of thing an athletic foundation can pay for. Of course you need professionals in the administration with the foesight to have that kind of estblished foundation too. _
    I agree 100% with the success thing. Unfortunately, the University needs to handle this the same way that I think the government should handle this recession. It will take the same amount of time to build a program up whether we do it now or 5 years from now. Let it bottom out so the building can begin. The more we tread water not getting anywhere, the further down the road success awaits. I hate to say it, but I am almost willing to sacrifice post season play in all sports in order to get the athletic program on the right track and moving in the right direction. That starts with the exit of david walker. JMO.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ i'm just curious.what are we fans going to do if the unthinkable happens and Robert Lee succeeds? I'm willing to admit if I turn out to be wrong.are you?
    igeaux.mobi _
    In a heartbeat. But, this is the 86th time in 30 years our UL admin has made what I considered an error due to the past compilation of errors. 83 prior times where fans were at odds with the admin, we the fans have been dead nuts on. and have never gotten our "you are right, we apologize, and we are resigning since we are complete azz clowns".

So. in response to your question. am I man enough to admit when I am wrong?. every single time. ARE THEY? . never. All we get. "slap some more lipstick on the pig. and yes, use a vegetable this time around."

Track & Field Re: Right Call. thats just bull****

_ I'll be happy to admit if I am wrong. But how do we measure success? Given the past couple of years does one season of improvement warrent a new contract? I was all for the extension when his last contract was up because he seemed to be moving in the right direction. But instead we have gone backwards. IMO, while a great guy, he cannot get it done and it is time to go in a new direction.

And going in a new direction also means a new AD who will conduct a real talent search to find us a coach that we can afford who will also be able to do things the right way and win (the two are not mutually exclusive). Now finding that guy may not be easy but that is why you get professional athletic adminstrators to do a professional, nationwide search not some half-assed bargain basement search with input from the director of the student union. That is the kind of thing an athletic foundation can pay for. Of course you need professionals in the administration with the foesight to have that kind of estblished foundation too. _

What happens if the same scenario reoccurs that happened a year ago, i.e. Lee goes .500 or slightly better and ties or wins the Western Division? That is an improvement over this year, but only puts us back to mediocre status. Do you fire a coach that wins the Western Division or simply reward mediocrity, AGAIN? That is a scary thought. I no longer trust the AD to make the right decision other than the cheapest route. It is still time for Walker to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ I've been thinking about it since Friday. IF the university (IE: Walker) felt it was the right call why wait until friday at noon to release the information? By monday most will be tired of talking about it. It was a calculated call by an AD that never did expect to release either coach.

I did like the fact that Josh mentioned the money that would have went to buyout will now sweeten the pot for the next coach (if/when) lee fails. I think we all know that we will try to shortchange whomever is thinking about this job. Its clear this university just doesn't have (or doesn't want) to spend the money age get the best coach available. _
    Would someone clear up something for me. Where is all this money the University is suppose to have comimg from? From what I have read and see, the University's Buildings are falling apart and are in need of repairs, the cost of new construction has gone up 30-40%, and we are suppose to use MONIES FROM WHERE. Let's face it, if anyone is to blame for money problems it is OUR LEGISLATURE. Don't you get it. Education monies are not dedicated monies, everytime there is a budget cut, it comes from Education and Healthcare. We don't have monies to repair our fricking roads. So if the University is to buy out a coaches contract, where is the money coming from. I read where, " One character stated," Why don't some of our rich alumni to put up the money". if that ain't an Obama way of thinking I don't know what is. If our RCAF was in existence, do we use the monies for coaches salaries and facilities to buy out coaches contracts, possible, but after talking to others about this. Let's say, we do fire Lee and get a new coach and men's basketball does not meet the APR it needs to get off this list, then let's say, Football wins the conference Championship, NO New Orleans Bowl, what is Stefni"s team wins conference, Baseball wins conference, they don't go to post season play. THINK ABOUT IT. I think by now how Coach LEE knows that basketball is such a disappointment. Well, I don't think Lee likes to lose, I say let's wait and see.

For your information, I am one who would like to see change in basketball but not at the risk of the jepordizing the future progess of football, softball, and baseball.

Can't go along with you guys on this. I JUST WISH YOU GUYS WOULD LET IT DIE AND WHEN RCAF COMES TO BE, GIVE GENEROUSLY AND THEN COMPLAIN, OTHERWISE BE A RAGIN CAJUN FAN FIRST.

GEAUX CAJUNS

9. Default Re: Right Call. thats just bull****

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    _ No doubt.

igeaux.mobi _
    I tell you, with what they got coming back next year along with the St. Martville kid we could be special--I have seen this team get after it on def and also seen some great off displays------Add to that the 2 seasons to really know the program and you can be pretty good at 20 years old compared to 17 0r 18!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ What happens if the same scenario reoccurs that happened a year ago, i.e. Lee goes .500 or slightly better and ties or wins the Western Division? That is an improvement over this year, but only puts us back to mediocre status. Do you fire a coach that wins the Western Division or simply reward mediocrity, AGAIN? That is a scary thought. I no longer trust the AD to make the right decision other than the cheapest route. It is still time for Walker to retire. _
    Thats the nightmare scenerio. He does just well enough to have you wondering about him again. Is he the guy to get it done or not? (Right now, short of making the sweet 16 I think not.) In that case do you give him a new contract and risk that the following year he tanks again and you are looking at not being able to dumphim because you can't afford a three year buyout? or do you just give him another two year extension and then the complaint is well he won't be able to recruit anyone because he is only guaranteed to be here for two years? Or do you just start a new coaching search? Remember, technically you wouldn't be firing him because his contract would be up, paid in full.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I tell you, with what they got coming back next year along with the St. Martville kid we could be special--I have seen this team get after it on def and also seen some great off displays------Add to that the 2 seasons to really know the program and you can be pretty good at 20 years old compared to 17 0r 18!!!!! _
    Watch the NCAA tourny. It looks like we play a different game than they do. I will go out on a limb now and say .500 at best next year.

_ Thats the nightmare scenerio. He does just well enough to have you wondering about him again. Is he the guy to get it done or not? (Right now, short of making the sweet 16 I think not.) In that case do you give him a new contract and risk that the following year he tanks again and you are looking at not being able to dumphim because you can't afford a three year buyout? or do you just give him another two year extension and then the complaint is well he won't be able to recruit anyone because he is only guaranteed to be here for two years? Or do you just start a new coaching search? Remember, technically you wouldn't be firing him because his contract would be up, paid in full. _
    That's why an athletic director change is mandatory, and I figure Scott Farmer's track record at Troy makes him our best hope. I knew T-Joe for a time about 25 years ago and I don't think he will interfere with a guy that he perceives can rattle the cage and change the culture. He knows in his heart that a special individual who can break the gridlock is our only hope.

The coaches have to be replaced next year and I don't want Walker anywhere near the controls in any capacity. I just hope UL can survive another year in Division 1-A until the cleansing process is complete. There is no hope with David Walker. He's a guardian of the status quo that has killed us.

_ Thats the nightmare scenerio. He does just well enough to have you wondering about him again. Is he the guy to get it done or not? (Right now, short of making the sweet 16 I think not.) In that case do you give him a new contract and risk that the following year he tanks again and you are looking at not being able to dumphim because you can't afford a three year buyout? or do you just give him another two year extension and then the complaint is well he won't be able to recruit anyone because he is only guaranteed to be here for two years? Or do you just start a new coaching search? Remember, technically you wouldn't be firing him because his contract would be up, paid in full. _
    Will not happen. We will stink next year and fire him then. Just makes the rebuilding project more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ I've been thinking about it since Friday. IF the university (IE: Walker) felt it was the right call why wait until friday at noon to release the information? By monday most will be tired of talking about it. It was a calculated call by an AD that never did expect to release either coach.

I did like the fact that Josh mentioned the money that would have went to buyout will now sweeten the pot for the next coach (if/when) lee fails. I think we all know that we will try to shortchange whomever is thinking about this job. Its clear this university just doesn't have (or doesn't want) to spend the money age get the best coach available. _

First rule of controlling negative information and using news cycles to your advantage. Release the news late on a Friday.

igeaux.mobi _
    If the miraculous occurs, then you will want Robert to stay. It will mean that the players respect him, that they are obeying him, they are following the plays he has diagrammed for them, they are practicing like they are supposed to, they are doing everything they need to do to succeed. It will mean that Robert has learned from his mistakes, that he will treat these young men with respect instead of yelling at them. He will be more of a teacher, explain why he wanted them to do what he requested, act more like a leader than a "lord and master."
    Trust in this: there will be no middle ground for this team. They will either be wildly successful or pitifully inadequate. If this coaching staff and these players can get on the same page, they will have a chance to win a lot of ball games. If they stay like they are, this team will be fortunate to win 5 games next season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information