Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

1. UL Basketball Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

Ending two weeks of speculation, UL's athletic department announced on Friday afternoon that head men's basketball coach Robert Lee and head women's basketball coach Errol Rogers will return to the sideline next season.

The news was first reported noon Friday at theadvertiser.com after multiple sources close to the situation told The Daily Advertiser about the impending announcement.

About three hours later, the university released a statement about bringing back both coaches. UL athletic director David Walker met multiple times with the coaching staffs and players from both programs and university president Joseph Savoie in the past two weeks before making a decision.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • March 21, 2009

Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

The Advertiser said we had perfect APR scores over the last 2 years and it said we should have another this year.

My question is how is a perfect score possible with Eligh Millsap transferring to UAB?

The way I understand if a player leaves in good standing you lose 1 point and if they leave not in good academic standing you lose 2 points.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    The Advertiser said we had perfect APR scores over the last 2 years and it said we should have another this year.

My question is how is a perfect score possible with Eligh Millsap transferring to UAB?

The way I understand if a player leaves in good standing you lose 1 point and if they leave not in good academic standing you lose 2 points.
    Remember when Lee had to beg David Dees to stay when his brother Steven was chased?

Well it was a good move, seems UL basketball got an APR boost when David graduated, in effect offsetting Milsaps departure.

Dees and someone else, can't recall who.
    igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Remember when Lee had to beg David Dees to stay when his brother Steven was chased?

Well it was a good move, seems UL basketball got an APR boost when David graduated, in effect offsetting Milsaps departure.

Dees and someone else, can't recall who.
    igeaux.mobi _
    Chasing players away when you are under some kind of mandate to improve your APR might not have been a wise move if it follows that a coach gets to remain to the end of his contract no matter the direction the program takes. Was that not known to the powers that be at the time the action was allowed to take place and is so, why not?

I would not expect fans to understand the finer points of the APR, but I would expect those who get paid to understand such things to actually understand them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ Chasing players away when you are under some kind of mandate to improve your APR might not have been a wise move if it follows that a coach gets to remain to the end of his contract no matter the direction the program takes. Was that not known to the powers that be at the time the action was allowed to take place and is so, why not?

I would not expect fans to understand the finer points of the APR, but I would expect those who get paid to understand such things to actually understand them.

Good luck! _
    David's brother Steven was not on scholarship when he left the team. Steven was a walk-on. Players who are not on scholarship such as Lamar Roberson do not effect the APR. I think?

6. Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    _ David's brother Steven was not on scholarship when he left the team. Steven was a walk-on. Players who are not on scholarship such as Lamar Roberson do not effect the APR. I think? _
    Lee runs em in and out like cattle.

He almost lost David over the broken promise to Steven.

_ Lee runs em in and out like cattle.

He almost lost David over the broken promise to Steven. _

Stephen was also a cancer and was not happy about the emergence of the younger guys like Bureau and Daigle.

Now that the players know they have the coach and school by the %$#@, how in the world are they going to get them to class, practice and do what is expected of the players as students? Put them in time out?

9. Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Stephen was also a cancer and was not happy about the emergence of the younger guys like Bureau and Daigle. _
    Every single year a new emerging cancer . . . r i g h t . . .

_ Every single year a new emerging cancer . . . r i g h t . . . _

Ahh, that's right. We HAVE to blame somebody because somebody is bad teammate so we have to blame the coach.Of course, I forgot. It doesn't just happen here.

11. Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

_ Ahh, that's right. We HAVE to blame somebody because somebody is bad teammate so we have to blame the coach.Of course, I forgot. It doesn't just happen here. _
    The same repeated "new cancer" scenario year after year sounds like it is a tool used by the coach rather then the coach was a victim.

_ The same repeated "new cancer" scenario year after year sounds like it is a tool used by the coach rather then the coach was a victim. _

Lee didn't use the Stephen Dees issue to create excuses for himself and as far as I know, he never commented on it unless asked. Conspiracy theorists abound. Geez. By listening in on your phone calls, I always pegged you as the idealistic guy who rarely sees things in a negative light. I guess Lee's only answer to make sure he made everyone happy there would have been to play Bureau and Daigle less I guess. That way, Dees wouldn't have left.

13. Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

_ Lee didn't use the Stephen Dees issue to create excuses for himself and as far as I know, he never commented on it unless asked. Conspiracy theorists abound. Geez. By listening in on your phone calls, I always pegged you as the idealistic guy who rarely sees things in a negative light. I guess Lee's only answer to make sure he made everyone happy there would have been to play Bureau and Daigle less I guess. That way, Dees wouldn't have left. _
    It's not about Dees it is about the prolonged pattern where only the names change.

I have been crunching the numbers and am astouded by the turnover rate. Perhaps you are right and Lee doesn't use the word cancer. Then perhaps we and the media shouldn't either.

_ It's not about Dees it is about the prolonged pattern where only the names change.

I have been crunching the numbers and am astouded by the turnover rate. Perhaps you are right and Lee doesn't use the word cancer. Then perhaps we and the media shouldn't either. _

So its only a coach appointed word then right? I then suggest maybe comparing those numbers to those of other sunbelt or mid-major schools. Maybe there is a consistent theme or comparison that in line with other schools. I know you've been around a long time, we saw as much "turnover" with other coaches as Evans and Fletcher.

15. Default Re: Another shot: Robert Lee will remain UL's Ragin' Cajuns basketball coach

_ So its only a coach appointed word then right? I then suggest maybe comparing those numbers to those of other sunbelt or mid-major schools. Maybe there is a consistent theme or comparison that in line with other schools. I know you've been around a long time, we saw as much "turnover" with other coaches as Evans and Fletcher. _
    Lee is averaging 2 more players a year than Evans.

He is running double the players as was the NCAA goal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information