Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ragin' Cajuns Get Big Win Over UALR

1. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns Get Big Win Over UALR

UL - The aluminum was hot Friday night for the second straight game, as the Ragin’ Cajuns baseball team rolled to an 11-1 victory over Sun Belt opponent UALR, thanks to some big sticks, confident defense, and another effective outing from freshman hurler Alex Fuselier.

It all came together for Tony Robichaux’s squad, with 14 hits to score double-digits for the second game in the row, no errors, and impressive pitching. The game was the 1,300th of Robichaux’s career as a head coach, and M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field’s 700th win as the home of the Cajuns. Louisiana moved to 8-9-1 overall and 2-4 in Sun Belt action, while UALR dropped to 7-11 overall and 3-4 in conference play.

UL had big help from Les Smith (3-5) and Thad Griffen (2-5), who both smacked home runs in the game, the third and fourth of their seasons respectively. Smith’s jack scored two runs, and Griffen added another RBI in the eighth to join Smith, Scott Hawkins (2-4) and Matt Goulas (1-4) in the two-RBI category.

Kyle Olasin (1-4) and Kyle Bostick (1-3) provided a run each to round out the list of Cajuns with RBIs.

Alex Fuselier provided another great outing from the mound in his first weekend start, pitching his way through seven complete innings, allowing one run, earned, on just one hit, four walks, and four strikeouts. He earned the win to move to 2-0 on the season.

Blake Wascom took over for the last two innings, allowing only one hit while walking no one and striking out three batters in lock-down relief.

UALR’s Jake Sullivan took the loss in 6 1/3 innings, allowing eight runs, all earned, on 11 hits, two walks, and six strikeouts. Alex Smith threw 1 2/3 innings, allowing three unearned runs on three hits, one walk, and three strikeouts.

The Cajuns opened the scoring in the bottom of the first with a Scott Hawkins single into center field, scoring Matt Goulas from second.

Both teams were then scoreless until Louisiana plated three in the bottom of the fourth. On four straight singles to open the inning, from Chad Keefer, Les Smith, Kyle Bostick (RBI) and Kyle Olasin (RBI), followed by a Matt Goulas RBI groundout.

Les Smith padded the lead with his two-run home run to right field in the next inning, upping the Cajuns’ lead to 6-0.

In the bottom of the seventh, Goulas earned his second RBI with a sacrifice fly to left field, scoring Olasin from third.

The Trojans logged their first run off of Fuselier in the top of the seventh when catcher Jack Larner singled in Josh Marazzito, taking advantage of two straight walks off the southpaw.

Thad Griffen answered the run when he struck his solo homer to right field in the bottom of the seventh.

Louisiana picked up three unearned runs in the eighth. Goulas reached on an error in what would have been an inning-ending groundout, and scored on a Scott Hawkins double. Hawkins scored on a wild pitch, the same pitch that allowed Travis Whipple to reach on a dropped third strike. Thad Griffen added his second RBI in the next at bat, scoring Whipple on a single to left.

The series continues Saturday with Game 2, first pitch set for 2 p.m. Tune into SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM on the radio or MyKLAF-TV on television (Cox 13) to catch the broadcast, and track live statistics and watch live video on RaginCajuns.com.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Get Big Win Over UALR

I saw some posts last week saying we couldn't be much good if Fuselier. a freshman that LSU had gotten 4 runs in 5 innings off of was our stud. Well, after last night I'd say he did fairly well. again. off of a relatively good hitting UALR team.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    I saw some posts last week saying we couldn't be much good if Fuselier. a freshman that LSU had gotten 4 runs in 5 innings off of was our stud. Well, after last night I'd say he did fairly well. again. off of a relatively good hitting UALR team.
    He was solid. It was a great win and bodes well for the future.
    igeaux.mobi

No posts from Chicken Little(s)? Wonderful!!

Anybody have the attendance? There were a lot of people at that game. Looked like the biggest crowd of the season so far.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    _ No posts from Chicken Little(s)? Wonderful!! _
    You can bank on the fact that they are hiding out in the shadows awaiting their turn. I continue not to believe that baseball is a problem at UL. It has too much natural autonomy from the rest of the problem areas that our athletic administrators fail to manage.
    Wonderful indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ Anybody have the attendance? There were a lot of people at that game. Looked like the biggest crowd of the season so far. _

I believe i saw it to be between 2300-2400 at the bottom of the box score.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Anybody have the attendance? There were a lot of people at that game. Looked like the biggest crowd of the season so far.

Talent is not an issue. They are startng to reach their potential. I matters how you finish. I am about out of appropriate cliche's. I'll check back in when more pop in my half a brain. Seriously, it is nice to see them get tired of playing close games. I was afraid they might not tire of close games and end up with OK stats and a crummy record.

It was an extremely well played game by the Cajuns. Very nice to see after several frustrating innings of so so baseball this season.

nice win let's do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKahouna View Post
    _ 2374 _
    the 50/50 pot was larger for one of the Nebraska games

That's how I judge attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    _ Talent is not an issue. They are startng to reach their potential. I matters how you finish. I am about out of appropriate cliche's. I'll check back in when more pop in my half a brain. Seriously, it is nice to see them get tired of playing close games. I was afraid they might not tire of close games and end up with OK stats and a crummy record. _
    rob said today he will move fontenot to 2nd and long to short i think thats a bad idea, what do yall think

Quote Originally Posted by Dad2 View Post
    _ rob said today he will move fontenot to 2nd and long to short i think thats a bad idea, what do yall think _
    I agree with you.

if will long can step in and produce offensively without having a letdown defensively, this is an upgrade for our team because bostick is hitting .200(though playing good defense).the problem will present itself if will does not improve on his defense

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information