Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns started spring football on Wednesday afternoon under cloudy skies and a hint of rain. The Cajuns covered 11 periods in two hours.

Head coach Rickey Bustle has 98 players on his spring roster, although 10 players will be limited or held out of spring practice.

“I was excited about the first day and getting out to the practice field,” Bustle said. “The players were ready to get out here, they were probably tired of our Red Dawn (early morning workouts).

“Spring football is just the next phase. You build on each phase and put things together. I like what I saw out here today, especially the enthusiasm.”

In addition to several position battles, the Cajuns are transitioning four players to new positions during spring practice. Redshirt freshman Jesse Broadnax is moving from linebacker to defensive end, sophomore Lance Kelley is switching from wide receiver to free safety, redshirt freshman Ian Roberts is going from running back to fullback and redshirt freshman Brandon Williams is changing from a defensive end to a tight end.

“We have guys where they should be. We did make a few changes, but we’re looking for some players to step-up in key areas.

“We are watching the positions of quarterback, running back, wide receiver and kicker very closely to see who rises to the top.”

In shocking news, Bustle announced to the team that running backs coach Brian Jenkins has accepted a job at Rutgers to become the wide receivers coach. Jenkins, who has been on the staff since Bustle took over the program, will leave immediately.

“Coach Jenkins has meant a lot to this program,” Bustle stated. “He’s been here from the beginning and has been recognized as a good football coach.

“This business is just that. It’s a great financial opportunity and I wish him and his family the best.”

The Cajuns will resume spring practice on Friday at 3pm and Saturday at 9:45am.

UL Staff Report