Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

1. Louisiana Campus Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

A recent study done by the students of the University of Louisiana showed that many thought the conditions of buildings including classrooms, affected there concentration and focus during class.

Amidst the worst in the survey was the English building named Griffin Hall. Since it was constructed in 1972 as the Liberal Arts building in name of Harry L. Griffin for his contribution to the university as professor in History and Political Science, it has had very little improvements prior to 2008, and students are realizing its neglect. As it turns out are some major aspects of Griffin that many if not most students find less than beneficial to the learning process.

The rest of the story
    ULToday.com

Default Re: Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

I used to HATE Griffin! Bathrooms had a permanent stink, the classrooms were pale yellow and just made me want to sleep.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Wow!! My parents graduated from SLI in 59(I think?) My pops basically was told get your degree or you are out on your sss, son. Dont think he was given the option to complain about the comforts of the classroom.

Z.

4. Default Re: Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

It is really quite simple, either you want to learn or you don't. The color and lighting in Griffin Hall never kept me from earning my degree.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Yeah! Heaven forbid people complain about the shoddy conditions of a school they're paying money to attend! Stupid young losers.

I like the article Fun, it calls to attention just how cash-strapped the university must be. It's amazing how bad some of the buildings are allowed to get before something is done about it. That being said, it's good you point out how outstanding the library is. I always liked that building alot.

When I hit the powerball, you can bet these problems will be solved!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

she finds it difficult to concentrate during class with the recent construction work to the roof. “The ceiling has lots of water damage and looks really gloomy, it makes me feel gloomy," says *****, "and with no windows in my classroom I feel even more fatigued during class”.

I didnt get my degree because it wasnt as important to me at the time as hanging out at JR's till 4 am on a Friday morning. It sure as heck wasnt because the classroom was gloomy and it made me feel fatigued.
    Definite problems with the physical plant, but lets not use it as an excuse to not concentrate. It didnt seem to bother you or your brothers.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Yeah! Heaven forbid people complain about the shoddy conditions of a school they're paying money to attend! Stupid young losers.

I like the article Fun, it calls to attention just how cash-strapped the university must be. It's amazing how bad some of the buildings are allowed to get before something is done about it. That being said, it's good you point out how outstanding the library is. I always liked that building alot.

When I hit the powerball, you can bet these problems will be solved! _
    Agreed about the library being a fine facility. I drive through campus quite a bit considering I work in the Oil Center. I especially enjoy the scenery in the Summer/Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Agreed about the library being a fine facility. I drive through campus quite a bit considering I work in the Oil Center. I especially enjoy the scenery in the Summer/Spring. _
    We are loaded with "talent"!

9. Default Re: Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We are loaded with "talent"!
    I would imagine Rivals and Scout would rate our talent 5 stars.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I can remember my freshman english class where we all got into a debate on "should we levy the student fee to pay for the indoor facility, etc" and everyone besides myself opposed the idea citing deteriorating conditions of present facilities (good thing none of them voted ). My point is that the cleaner we keep the "backyard," the more receptive people will be to adding new and better facilities for athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ We are loaded with "talent"! _

Exactly, I can attest to this as my wife is an alumnus of your fine school.

Now the conditions between classes is a different story. Luckily St. Mary is the "only route" from downtown to my office.

last year when I visited campus with my wife and children I was very impressed with the amount of facilies upgrades that I saw. It was probable the most work that I had seen on campus in many years.

Also, the new buildings that have been constructed (business building, parking garage) are very impressive

14. Louisiana Campus Re: Are UL's Buildings Up To Scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ I used to HATE Griffin! Bathrooms had a permanent stink, the classrooms were pale yellow and just made me want to sleep. _
    It seems it hasn't changed since you had class in there. They need more ways to get up and down. It seems like if your class isn't on the first floor, its on the 4th, I'm not even sure if they have classes on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th floors. (Joking, of course) But man, it takes 5 minutes to get from 5 down to ground because of the overcrowding in the stairwell. The middle one of the three is barely big enough to fit two people shoulder to shoulder.

My building, old Mouton, (very, very, old Mouton.) It the worse. The windows seems permanently shut, there's no central HVAC system, so we have to rely on the very old and noisy window ac units to cool us off. Most of the time they don't get used because they over power the teacher, and nobody is smart enough to turn them on when the classrooms aren't being used. There's also what seems like mildew and the black mold of death clinging on the ceilings. What I can't figure out, is why they build two seemingly meaningless walls in old Mouton.

If you're not familiar with old Mouton, the main halls are shaped like TT. On either end of the main hallway (the top of the Ts) there are the two stairwells. Well, for some unknown reason, they put a wall on either side of the main hallway, right in front of the stairwells. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they're for. Any ideas?

These types of things aren't going to keep me from getting my degree, but they are distractions that I don't like. (Except for the useless walls, those are just weird.)

HLG was new when I was in school and it was a wreck then. And yes, the restrooms had already developed a permanent stink. I recently took a Continuing Education class in a very well equipped "smart classroom." the state of the art, computer integrated projection system, when activated, displayed this message."The lens-apeture filter must be replaced
    every 100 operating hours to avoid catastrophic damage to the unit. It has been 437 operation hours since the filter was replaced." Many of UL's physical plant issues stem from
    from terrible maintanence. Peeny-wise and pound foolish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information