Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: in need of an IT professional

douglas's Avatar douglas is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default in need of an IT professional

We seem to be in need of an IT professional. We have one drive in a software raid that has gone offline. Bios sees it in post but can't see it in other environments. Pm me if anyone can help, thanks

Default Re: in need of an it professional

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    We seem to be in need of an IT professional. We have one drive in a software raid that has gone offline. Bios sees it in post but can't see it in other environments. Pm me if anyone can help, thanks
    Boomer is your man for the job!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

3. Default Re: in need of an it professional

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Boomer is your man for the job!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    ----Watch it as I spoke with the Java lady just this morning!!! At least Java Woman is a tax write off!!! I have no clue what she is doing but that I Phone is smoking!!!

Are the drives "hot swappable"? If so just get another drive and replace the old one on the fly.

What RAID level is it? As long as it's not simply RAID 0 you should be able to replace the drive and let the parity backups do the rest.

douglas's Avatar douglas is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

its just a spanned volume, hence my problem. It's 3-3tb drives spanned together for pure speed no parity when rolling software raid 0. everything is backed up to a raid 3 system though. im just always VERY nervous about finding a corrupted file when rebuilding off back ups.

Also a strange thing, the raid tower back up is a raid 3- i was told to do this b/c of large file sizes. But one folder, my folder with all of my scans from the library-smaller files-some of them have corrupted image files, where half the image is there and then its digital artifacts. Onscreen looks like a drive maybe going out since the files are spanned but the led's on the cse say all if well....strange

Wish I was in town to help. If I think of anything that could help I will call you or text you.

Should have gotten a mac.

its just a spanned volume, hence my problem. It's 3-3tb drives spanned together for pure speed no parity when rolling software raid 0. everything is backed up to a raid 3 system though. im just always VERY nervous about finding a corrupted file when rebuilding off back ups.

Also a strange thing, the raid tower back up is a raid 3- i was told to do this b/c of large file sizes. But one folder, my folder with all of my scans from the library-smaller files-some of them have corrupted image files, where half the image is there and then its digital artifacts. Onscreen looks like a drive maybe going out since the files are spanned but the led's on the cse say all if well....strange
    So if I'm understanding this right, you have two arrays? One live RAID 0 array for speed and a backup RAID 3 and BOTH are having issues?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a tape backup of any of this would you?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    You're not helping. And RAID works on Mac's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_RH View Post
    You're not helping. And RAID works on Mac's too.
    Your first mistake was assuming I would ever try to help a guy like Douglas. Dude is beyond all hope.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    mac makes hard drives? Who knew?

yeah the live 0 set up is our live online edit, i back up to 7 tb raid 3, the raid 3 is intact i just have 1 folder which has all of my scans of old photos thats got some random issues i didnt know existed. visually the images look like a drive is unhealthy, but the led's on the tower don't report anything and the pre boot check disk doesnt report any bad sectors but again something looks off. if anyone knows how to diagnose these things you can swing by if you are so inclined to help a brotha out.
    i actually hope one drive on the raid is faulty so i can swap it and be done with it. rather than manually check through 5.5tb of files.

oh and the mac...jigga please. i wasnt paying 16k just for the damn box. built my own frankenstein for 2k. the raid 0 is a dice roll but other than that 11tb storage inside, intel 3.5 and 24 gigs of ram for 2k, 2 decent video cards for 2k is hard to pass up

besides reb, theres no polarizing fight the system documentary template in imovie...burn

rh-i don't have tape but we do have a huge stack of blu rays for hard copies and i'm now uploading to carbonite, even with lus 80mbs it is taking FOREVER. so we have some redundancy i just don't wanna have to reconnect everything again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information