Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Butch Pierre

UL Basketball Butch Pierre

I've seen his name mentioned several times on this forum, and I wanted to know how many of you would be happy with him as your next head coach assuming that Lee gets the axe at the end of this season? I've had the pleasure of getting to know Butch pretty well during his years at LSU (I'm very good friends with his brother in-law). He's a great father, very hard worker, and he obviously knows the game of basketball. He wasn't happy about uprooting his family but he wasn't sticking around BR unless he was named head coach.

Despite knowing him pretty well, I wasn't in favor of him becoming LSU's next head coach for several reasons. First of all, he hasn't proven that he can manage a D-I program. LSU obviously had the funds to bring in a guy with at least some DI head coaching experience. Secondly, he's guilty by association due to being Brady's right hand man for all eleven seasons at LSU (not saying this is fair). Apathy had set in with the LSU fanbase, and the program desperately needed some new blood. Pierre is a good recruiter, but him and Brady let plenty of big fish leave the state during their tenure at LSU. They also struggled when it came to developing high profile out of state players such as Tack Minor, Regis Koundja, Magnum Rolle, etc. Collis Temple also deserves some credit as he helped Brady/Butch land the Baton Rouge crew (Temple, Davis, Thomas, Tasmin, etc). As far as the game is concerned, he obviously knows the game pretty well. I would expect tough defense and a more wide open offense than LSU showed under Brady's leadership. It should also be noted that a lot of players confided in Pierre and they came to him with their problems instead of going to the head man.

I think Pierre would do a good job at UL, but are you ok with bringing in a guy with zero DI coaching experience?

2. Default Re: Butch Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ I've seen his name mentioned several times on this forum, and I wanted to know how many of you would be happy with him as your next head coach assuming that Lee gets the axe at the end of this season? I've had the pleasure of getting to know Butch pretty well during his years at LSU (I'm very good friends with his brother in-law). He's a great father, very hard worker, and he obviously knows the game of basketball. He wasn't happy about uprooting his family but he wasn't sticking around BR unless he was named head coach.

Despite knowing him pretty well, I wasn't in favor of him becoming LSU's next head coach for several reasons. First of all, he hasn't proven that he can manage a D-I program. LSU obviously had the funds to bring in a guy with at least some DI head coaching experience. Secondly, he's guilty by association due to being Brady's right hand man for all eleven seasons at LSU. Apathy had set in with the LSU fanbase, and the program desperately needed some new blood. Pierre is a good recruiter, but him and Brady let plenty of big fish leave the state during their tenure at LSU. They also struggled producing out of state five star recruits such as Regis Koundja and Magnum Rolle. Collis Temple also deserves some credit as he helped Brady/Butch land the Baton Rouge crew (Temple, Davis, Thomas, Tasmin, etc). As far as the game is concerned, he obviously knows the game pretty well. I would expect tough defense and a more wide open offense than LSU showed under Brady's leadership.

I think Pierre would do a good job at UL, but are you ok with bringing in a guy with zero DI coaching experience? _
    Pierre's fundamental theories on how to win games is very appealing. Good defense, smart half court offense, utilizing the big men, and of course, recruiting. It's a completely perpendicular direction than we are headed now, and it's something that the good teams that we are used to around here did when they were on top.

The concern about his lack of D1 experience has merit, but I thought Butch showed promise in his short opportunity at LSU. I was almost certain they would offer him the job. But you know LSUA&M@BR.. they had to make a splash..

Default Re: Butch Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ I was almost certain they would offer him the job. But you know LSUA&M@BR.. they had to make a splash.. _
    There were several reasons he wasn't offered the job, and why wouldn't you go for the sure thing if you have the funds to do so? The program needed to be reenergized, and hiring from within wasn't going to do that all. The lack of head coaching experience, and his close relationship with Brady were just too much to overcome. The team played better after Brady was fired, but that's not uncommon when such a change is made.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ The concern about his lack of D1 experience has merit, but I thought Butch showed promise in his short opportunity at LSU. I was almost certain they would offer him the job. But you know LSUA&M@BR.. they had to make a splash.. _
    Give em a little credit. Trent Johnson was a huge hire for LSU and showed that they were ready to depart from the Brady years.

That being said, I'd love to have Butch for UL.

But you know LSUA&M@BR.. they had to make a splash.. _
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...you mean like they did with the naming of Dale Brown and John Brady in the past.

I'd love to see Pierre at UL and for his family to return to Louisiana. I doubt he will be at Oklahoma State for more than 2-3 seasons. The guy knows the state well and he could certainly recruit some nice players to your school.

7. Default Re: Butch Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...you mean like they did with the naming of Dale Brown and John Brady in the past. _
    I was referring to athletics in general, but you do have a point. Trent Johnson was a huge get for them; if UL had the chance to get a guy like Trent, I most certainly would hope our Admin would through the kitchen sink at him.

In all honesty, I sorta felt bad for Butch. I've always been a fan. I was hoping he'd get the chance to HC a big program.

8. Default Re: Butch Pierre

When Butch was at UL I felt like he was a version of everyones favorite backup quarterback.

I heard many a conversation that Butch would have won games Marty lost an won bigger in games UL won.

From what I recall Authement didn't think that highly of him.
    igeaux.mobi

_ There were several reasons he wasn't offered the job, and why wouldn't you go for the sure thing if you have the funds to do so? The program needed to be reenergized, and hiring from within wasn't going to do that all. The lack of head coaching experience, and his close relationship with Brady were just too much to overcome. The team played better after Brady was fired, but that's not uncommon when such a change is made. _
    I was glad we didn't hire him for the reasons you alude too (mainly I had had enough of Brady Ball). If Coach Lee is not retained, IMO the program ought to be able to attract an up and coming coach-whether that's Butch or somebody else. Butch can recruit-whether he can Coach and maintain a program remains to be seen. Some of Butch's success during the interim period was also due to Treloar (now coaching NBA developmental league).

There are alot of good coaches out there right now. The question is do we have the money to pay them, and if we do, will we fork out the money to pay them?

The other question is: Can we afford to fire Lee after this season?

Its all about the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ When Butch was at UL I felt like he was a version of everyones favorite backup quarterback.

I heard many a conversation that Butch would have won games Marty lost an won bigger in games UL won.

From what I recall Authement didn't think that highly of him.
    igeaux.mobi _
    From what I understand, Dr. Authement held a grudge against Butch Pierre for taking Kelvin Price along when Butch left here to go to Charlotte. That is why he was not likely to be hired the last two times we had openings. He applied when Jessie Evans was hired and again when Cyprien was hired.

12. Default Re: Butch Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ From what I understand, Dr. Authement held a grudge against Butch Pierre for taking Kelvin Price along when Butch left here to go to Charlotte. That is why he was not likely to be hired the last two times we had openings. He applied when Jessie Evans was hired and again when Cyprien was hired. _
    So you're basically saying that if we have the moolah, Butch could realistically coach this team? Apparently, he's interested..

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ From what I understand, Dr. Authement held a grudge against Butch Pierre for taking Kelvin Price along when Butch left here to go to Charlotte. That is why he was not likely to be hired the last two times we had openings. He applied when Jessie Evans was hired and again when Cyprien was hired. _
    WOW!! The guy responsible for our athletic programs being in the cr.app,er held a grudge against Butch Pierre for taking KP to Charlotte???

amazing.

Z

There were several reasons he wasn't offered the job, and why wouldn't you go for the sure thing if you have the funds to do so? The program needed to be reenergized, and hiring from within wasn't going to do that all. The lack of head coaching experience, and his close relationship with Brady were just too much to overcome. The team played better after Brady was fired, but that's not uncommon when such a change is made.
    Jay was talking about Butch on his show this afternoon in relation to two coaches being fired. The discussion was do you fire during the season or after its over. Jay said that last year 15 coaches were fired during the season and of those only Butch won as many games as he lost (5-5). He said that Butch was too closely tied to John Brady to keep his job, but that maybe had he won out and won the SEC tourney he could have made a case.

Support Re: Butch Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _

The other question is: Can we afford to fire Lee after this season?
    If this University can't buy out Lee's contract than we are in more trouble than most think on here. Exactly how much would it take? Is this University that poor? Latech didn't hesitate in dumping the ladytechters coach when they had enough. And thier salaries should be somewhat in line with each other. So your gueston, "can we afford to fire Lee after this season?.....Can we afford to not fire him. Only fan attendance will be the gauge to that question............

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information