Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Story behind the Cajundome?

UL Basketball Story behind the Cajundome?

Even though I lived in Lafayette for nealry a decade and attended plenty of events/games in this venue, I never really didn't understand who owned the building? I've heard different stories and I'm under the impression that the city owns the building? Does the venue being located off campus allow them to serve beer? You don't see this anywhere in the SEC (with the exception of suites) and I'm assuming the SBC has less stringent rules? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Story behind the Cajundome?

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Even though I lived in Lafayette for nealry a decade and attended plenty of events/games in this venue, I never really didn't understand who owned the building? I've heard different stories and I'm under the impression that the city owns the building? Does the venue being located off campus allow them to serve beer? You don't see this anywhere in the SEC (with the exception of suites) and I'm assuming the SBC has less stringent rules? Thanks for any help. _
    baseball sales beer and it is on campus so i don't believe its an on campus issue. Houston sales beer for football games which was nice lol

Well, it must boil down to conference rules. I know the SEC doesn't allow this to take place, and I think that's a good thing as far as the SEC is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ baseball sales beer and it is on campus so i don't believe its an on campus issue. Houston sales beer for football games which was nice lol _
    Our sports complex isn't on campus anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Our sports complex isn't on campus anyway. _
    I believe it is considered on campus

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Our sports complex isn't on campus anyway. _
    I didn't think that was considered campus either, but I really don't know enough about the University to say one way or another. So, would that mean Cajun Field is considered on campus as well? I do a lot of work in the oil center, and I thought the area near there was considered "campus".

_ I didn't think that was considered campus either, but I really don't know enough about the University to say one way or another. So, would that mean Cajun Field is considered on campus as well? I do a lot of work in the oil center, and I thought the area near there was considered "campus". _
    Other people can better answer this but the main campus is by the oil center but the rest is still considered campus. but to answer the rest the Cajun Dome is city property

_ Even though I lived in Lafayette for nealry a decade and attended plenty of events/games in this venue, I never really didn't understand who owned the building? I've heard different stories and I'm under the impression that the city owns the building? Does the venue being located off campus allow them to serve beer? You don't see this anywhere in the SEC (with the exception of suites) and I'm assuming the SBC has less stringent rules? Thanks for any help. _
    The Cajundome is owned and operated by the City of Lafayette. It is run by the Cajundome Commission and was built under the administration of Mayor Dud LaStrapes at a cost of 64 million smackers. (After many cost over-runs). The land was donated to the city by the Univerisity in exchange for certain no-charge priviledges, among which are a fixed number of dates for athletic and academic events.

9. Default Re: Story behind the Cajundome?

Per the Cajundome Website: The CAJUNDOME was built by the State of Louisiana, funded by the City of Lafayette, and owned by the University of Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDawgPound View Post
    The Cajundome is owned and operated by the City of Lafayette. It is run by the Cajundome Commission and was built under the administration of Mayor Dud LaStrapes at a cost of 64 million smackers. (After many cost over-runs). The land was donated to the city by the Univerisity in exchange for certain no-charge priviledges, among which are a fixed number of dates for athletic and academic events.
    Actually, I think it's owned by the University & was paid for by the State of Louisiana under Edwin Edwards administration. The City has an operator contract that guarantees UL a certain amount of usage days per year, with the City able to use it for the rest of the time. The City operations contract, under management by the Cajundome Commission, also includes basic maintenance on the facility.

There was some discussion a couple of years back about UL taking over operatorship of the facility, but I don't recall any move to try to do this. I did find a link on Wikipedia, which I've listed below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajundome

UL Basketball beer on campus

Does the venue being located off campus allow them to serve beer? You don't see this anywhere in the SEC (with the exception of suites) and I'm assuming the SBC has less stringent rules? Thanks for any help. _

Beer is sold at Tulane games and Houston games. It has nothing to do with the SBC. I know, having purchased it, that beer was/is sold on campus at UL and Tulane.

If you want to alk about alcohol purchased elsewhere but consumed at college athletic venues then the SEC (most especially LSUAMCBR) probably leads all conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Beer is sold at Tulane games and Houston games. It has nothing to do with the SBC. I know, having purchased it, that beer was/is sold on campus at UL and Tulane.

If you want to alk about alcohol purchased elsewhere but consumed at college athletic venues then the SEC (most especially LSUAMCBR) probably leads all conferences. _
    I think it does have to do with conferences. Some obviously allow it (Sun Belt, Conf USA), and others don't. I've been to many games around the SEC (basketball, football and baseball) and selling beer at these events would be a bad idea. Like you said, we find plenty of other ways to address our thirst.

_ I think it does have to do with conferences. Some obviously allow it (Sun Belt, Conf USA), and others don't. I've been to many games around the SEC (basketball, football and baseball) and selling beer at these events would be a bad idea. Like you said, we find plenty of other ways to address our thirst. _
    Minnesota sold beer at one time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDawgPound View Post
    _ The Cajundome is owned and operated by the City of Lafayette. It is run by the Cajundome Commission and was built under the administration of Mayor Dud LaStrapes at a cost of 64 million smackers. (After many cost over-runs). The land was donated to the city by the Univerisity in exchange for certain no-charge priviledges, among which are a fixed number of dates for athletic and academic events. _
    UL still owns the land. The LCG owns the facility.

UL has 8 campuses, 4 of which are larger than the main campus:

UL Facility . . . . . . acres
    Main Campus . . . . . . 137
    Cade Farm . . . . . . . . 600
    Athletic Complex . . . . 243
    U. Research Park . . . .148
    NIRC (primate center) .148
    Equine Center . . . . . . 100
    Poultry Farm . . . . . . . .58
    C. Ecol & Environ Tech . 51
    Total . . . . . . . . . . .1,348

I've been to many games around the SEC (basketball, football and baseball) and selling beer at these events would be a bad idea. Like you said, we find plenty of other ways to address our thirst. _
    Selling beer is not nor has it ever been the problem. It's people who consume beer and/or alcohol then can't control themselves. It happens a lot at LSUAMCBR football and baseball games but I did not see it at the UL - LSUAMCBR basketball game - happy to say.

Big difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information