Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling . .

UL Basketball Scheduling . .

The Cajuns have won 20 of the past 25 meetings. So lets keep this going. Its time to make a statement and go 3-1 in conference. I would much rather be 3-1 than 2-2. No excuses, this is a must win against an in-state rival.

Geaux Louisiana!

Default Re: Louisiana vs. New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ The Cajuns have won 20 of the past 25 meetings. So lets keep this going. Its time to make a statement and go 3-1 in conference. I would much rather be 3-1 than 2-2. No excuses, this is a must win against an in-state rival.

Geaux Louisiana! _
    It sure was nice of the conference to schedule this game on a Saturday so that all of the Cajun fans could make a good weekend in the big easy.

Oh, wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ It sure was nice of the conference to schedule this game on a Saturday so that all of the Cajun fans could make a good weekend in the big easy.

Oh, wait..... _
    Wright Waters thought he had a contract with the Gregorian Calendar for this game to be on a Saturday but it turns out it was just an unenforceable Memorandum of Understanding.

4. Default Re: Louisiana vs. New Orleans

True that. The Cajuns need conference wins like the desert needs rain.

5. Default Re: Louisiana vs. New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Wright Waters thought he had a contract with the Gregorian Calendar for this game to be on a Saturday but it turns out it was just an unenforceable Memorandum of Understanding. _
    That's some profound smack, Hammer.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleton View Post
    _ That's some profound smack, Hammer. _
    Profundity is his middle name.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Profundity is his middle name.

Z _
    And I thought it was Serendipity!

_ Wright Waters thought he had a contract with the Gregorian Calendar for this game to be on a Saturday but it turns out it was just an unenforceable Memorandum of Understanding. _

Would someone remind me just what Wrong Waters or the SBC have done to benefit UL? This godforsaken wannabe conference is our only apparent lifeline, but sometimes I wish we were just an independent (with understanding of all the pitfalls that brings). I sometimes wonder if we might have a better chance of getting in a new conference (when reallignment comes about) with standalone success as an independent. We aren't having much success as a conference member. And when we do, like being co-confernence champions in football, we still don't get to a bowl game. And, softball certainly didn't need the SBC to earn its success. The SBC has no revenue generation for its members that I am aware of, unlike other 1A conferences. Is scheduling the major obstacle? Can that be easily overcome? Would freedom in football scheduling allow for a much more attractive schedule with greater attendance and more revenue generation? Can we generate more credibility as a 1A program than we currently have as a SunBelt member? Is this pie in the sky thinking or can anyone see any value in independent status?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Would someone remind me just what Wrong Waters or the SBC have done to benefit UL? This godforsaken wannabe conference is our only apparent lifeline, but sometimes I wish we were just an independent (with understanding of all the pitfalls that brings). I sometimes wonder if we might have a better chance of getting in a new conference (when reallignment comes about) with standalone success as an independent. We aren't having much success as a conference member. And when we do, like being co-confernence champions in football, we still don't get to a bowl game. And, softball certainly didn't need the SBC to earn its success. The SBC has no revenue generation for its members that I am aware of, unlike other 1A conferences. Is scheduling the major obstacle? Can that be easily overcome? Would freedom in football scheduling allow for a much more attractive schedule with greater attendance and more revenue generation? Can we generate more credibility as a 1A program than we currently have as a SunBelt member? Is this pie in the sky thinking or can anyone see any value in independent status? _
    The biggest benefit to being in the Sun Belt is money. A small piece of the pie, but at least it's something. It's hard for independents to survive in I-A football. Notre Dame, Army and Navy can make it because of such large alumni bases.

In my mind, going independent again would be almost certain death to UL athletics, especially given the current state of the economy. Maybe there is a way to make it work, but I'm not sure how.

_ Would someone remind me just what Wrong Waters or the SBC have done to benefit UL? This godforsaken wannabe conference is our only apparent lifeline, but sometimes I wish we were just an independent (with understanding of all the pitfalls that brings). I sometimes wonder if we might have a better chance of getting in a new conference (when reallignment comes about) with standalone success as an independent. We aren't having much success as a conference member. And when we do, like being co-confernence champions in football, we still don't get to a bowl game. And, softball certainly didn't need the SBC to earn its success. The SBC has no revenue generation for its members that I am aware of, unlike other 1A conferences. Is scheduling the major obstacle? Can that be easily overcome? Would freedom in football scheduling allow for a much more attractive schedule with greater attendance and more revenue generation? Can we generate more credibility as a 1A program than we currently have as a SunBelt member? Is this pie in the sky thinking or can anyone see any value in independent status? _
    Scheduling. LIke it or not at least being in the Sun Belt or any conference gives you some stability in scheduling. At least we have our schedule completed or almost completed by this time of the year and have some sense of what the following year's schedule will look like. As an independent I can remember going late into the summer sometimes still not knowing what the completed schedule for football was going to look like for that season.

_ Scheduling. LIke it or not at least being in the Sun Belt or any conference gives you some stability in scheduling. At least we have our schedule completed or almost completed by this time of the year and have some sense of what the following year's schedule will look like. As an independent I can remember going late into the summer sometimes still not knowing what the completed schedule for football was going to look like for that season. _
    How about the non football sports? Scheduling would be a nightmare for these sports as everyone else is in a conference. Also, there would be a financialy penalty for leaving the conference. Additionally, how would you recruit anyone for these sports without an opportunity to get in the NCAA tournament. Regarding football, Without a bowl game to shoot for, recruiting would be a nightmare. Teams we would field would be similar to what we had in Stokley's last two years. Even worse, as we would not have a Brandon Stokley. Let me assure you, independence would be a nightmare scenario. Brainstorming is fine, but this is one of those ideas that would be immediately eliminated in a meeting type setting.

When a team is in a conference, it gets a guaranteed share of television and bowl revenues. Scheduling is also much easier and helps establish rivalries.

The only way to survive as a I-A football program is to have a large alumni base and an automatic bowl-in.

Notre Dame has it. So does Army and Navy with agreements with the EagleBank Bowl.

All three schools have no money or scheduling issues. (Navy and Army are fully funded by the federal government.) So there's no incentive to join a conference.

UL is not as fortunate.

I agree. I do not think Waters is good for UL. He obviously wants to take advantage of us. Perhaps we should lobby for a Commissioner with more perspective and when the time is right I think we should bolt.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Would someone remind me just what Wrong Waters or the SBC have done to benefit UL? _
    We can't blame the SBC for our issues. The SBC isn't exactly launching us, but like Josh says, we need a conference affiliation... and right now, no choice but the SBC for UL. We have no excuse other than ourselves (the university) for not being better in the Belt. We have to win the Belt in football before we have any legitimate claim to complaining about what they haven't done FOR us. JMO

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ We can't blame the SBC for our issues. The SBC isn't exactly launching us, but like Josh says, we need a conference affiliation... and right now, no choice but the SBC for UL. We have no excuse other than ourselves (the university) for not being better in the Belt. We have to win the Belt in football before we have any legitimate claim to complaining about what they haven't done FOR us. JMO _
    Oh, I think we can narrow it down a bit more, J1M.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information