Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dunlap and Rogers Quit Playing for Errol Rogers

Default Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ He got an extension for 3 reasons:

1. When he got the contract, it was the last year of his previous contract (I think), so either he gets an extension or we hire a new coach.

2. We weren't going to fire him. He salvaged a share of the West title and appeared to be "on the brink" of something big (so far, so not good).

3. Not giving him an extension (or only giving him a year) would have severely hampered any recruiting efforts. Other coaches can easily use another coach's contract situation against him.

It's the same thing for Bustle. How stupid would it be if our AD came out and said, "Bustle must win 7 games to keep his job." All of a sudden some of our better commitments would be getting calls from other schools saying "you don't want to play for a lame duck coach, blah blah blah."

The AD's job is to always make the athletic department seem stable, even when it's not.
    Then at the end of the year take appropriate action. _
    Good post. The adminitration (wrongly) bought in to Lee's youth movement. Once they did that they had to let him coach these young guys up. It now looks like the Universities faith in Lee will not be rewarded, but in my opinion they did the right thing.

Both of these coaches have painted themselves into a corner, it will be interesting if they can get themselves out.

2. Default Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The Women's coach is in his second year. He has 2 years left. Four years is a standard contract.
    If I recall correctly . Prior to coach Hall the program only issued year to year contracts. The success of coach Hall changed that.

igeaux.mobi

3. Default Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

The adminitration (wrongly) bought in to Lee's youth movement. Once they did that they had to let him coach these young guys up.
    I was under the impression the youth movement was imposed on Lee.

igeaux.mobi

Ragin' Cajuns Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

_ The Women's coach is in his second year. He has 2 years left. Four years is a standard contract. He will be fired after his 4th year. I will be even more ____ed if they buy him out. It's womens basketball, this is not the prize UL athletics is after. _
    WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!

If we are going to play a sport, we want to be competitive. That does not mean paying exorbitant salaries we can't afford, but it DOES mean cutting our losses on a VERY bad hire.

I don't care about baseball, tennis or golf. BUT if we are going to play them, they need to be treated exactly like any other sport when it comes to demanding performance. No sport should be sponsored by the school if it isn't going to be taken seriously when it succeeds or when it fails.

_ The Women's coach is in his second year. He has 2 years left. Four years is a standard contract. He will be fired after his 4th year. I will be even more ____ed if they buy him out. It's womens basketball, this is not the prize UL athletics is after. _
    Your right it's only women's basketball, but at the same token had Coach hall stayed here you would start to see a much larger following. If we can find a coach who can get us to 20 wins and post season play for a decade or so then you will see larger attendance figures.

Rogers need to be fired! Period! We need to go out and hire a top assistant from a power program and start a winning tradition here in women's basketball. We need an all around solid athletic department and right now we only have Softball as a bright spot.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!

If we are going to play a sport, we want to be competitive. That does not mean paying exorbitant salaries we can't afford, but it DOES mean cutting our losses on a VERY bad hire.

I don't care about baseball, tennis or golf. BUT if we are going to play them, they need to be treated exactly like any other sport when it comes to demanding performance. No sport should be sponsored by the school if it isn't going to be taken seriously when it succeeds or when it fails. _
    There are 4 sports at UL that people actually watch. Those 4 need to be treated differently than the rest. We had an NCAA team 2 years ago in WBB and nobody other than family and friends went. For that reason I do not think we should be buying out contract in those sports.

I have a feeling we are not going to agree on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!

I don't care about baseball, tennis or golf. BUT if we are going to play them, they need to be treated exactly like any other sport when it comes to demanding performance. No sport should be sponsored by the school if it isn't going to be taken seriously when it succeeds or when it fails. _
    I couldn't agree more! Every coach in every sport needs to be held accountable. If, as Mr Farmer states, we have lots of support (funding wise in the community); then we need to send a message that this type of performance, both on the court, and off the court (ladies leaving the program) will not be tolerated. And the ladies BB program is in a severe nose dive!
    Shof

8. Default

There are 4 sports at UL that people actually watch. Those 4 need to be treated differently than the rest. We had an NCAA team 2 years ago in WBB and nobody other than family and friends went. For that reason I do not think we should be buying out contract in those sports.

The game was at 3 in the afternoon on a workday.

I agree it would take several years of sustained success to develop a true fan support system.
    igeaux.mobi

I will say a fan following starts small and builds. In Coach Halls last year, I attended a number of the games, and the stands in EKL Gyn were full. I agree with a couple of earlier opinions, in that if you show continued progress toward excellence you'll gain a consistant audience, and that if you are going to have a sport you support it at the University level. This means you fund it, and pay the associated coaches, to at least the average of your conference members.

When Coach Hall left, it was noted (I think here, Turbine) that it was approved by DrA that our offer to him was raised to what Cincinnati was offering (about $200K, I think). If that's the case, my thinking is you should be able to get an assistant HC from a higher level womens basketball program for that salary. From the outside it seems that we've taken a step back. It's hard to see a program for your school who was possibly the worst in womens college basketball for a decade or longer, and had progressed enough to get an at large invitation to the NCAA tournament, and two years later being back at the bottom of the barrel.

UL Basketball Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ /agree _
    Disagree. This sport is one of the higher profile sports in DI athletics. Football(#1), Mens Basketball(2), Womens Basketball(3), Baseball(4), and then Softball(5) nation wide. UL certainly does not have this order because our Womens Basketball team has not been competive for most of its existence.

Our womens program has not reached the point where buying out a two year contract would cost the overall athletic budget all that much.

I too agree this coach has gone in the wrong direction. For two players like this to up and quit and one being a Senior is really sad. This situation at the very least needs to be looked into.

The womens basketball program at a University can have a nice amount of positive visablity, ours is having the opposite visability.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballjone View Post
    _ Heard through the grapevine, that 5 other girls will transfer or quit when the years done. I wonder if this is just rumor, but thats the word on the street. _
    If that is correct, then you would think warning bells, lights, sirens, etc would be going off in the AD offices. How many more signs do they need to see that the program is going in the wrong direction, and fast! The program can NOT afford 2 more years of this trend.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballjone View Post
    _ Is that right!!! _
    It is right, we go out and hire high school quality coaches and look what happens. MBB terrible considering the tradition and the recent past, which you were a part of. The teams from '98-04 would kick the crap out of any team Lee has put on the floor. Look at the history of who we have hired in WBB Gay Nix was an absolute joke, Coach Hall was a true college coach who left to go to Cinci who is not a powerhouse program but way better than UL. Rogers what can I say a sorry high school and AAU coach who is on the verge of losing all of his players.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: In case anyone missed it !!!

Time for a change??? Let's take care of business.

1) Lady Cajun Basketball,
    2) Men's Basketball,
    3) and football now, or at least after one more .500 season.

You can't convince me that we could not be competitive in all three of these sports with a decent coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredof theBS View Post
    Time for a change??? Let's take care of business.

2) Men's Basketball,

You can't convince me that we could not be competitive in all three of these sports with a decent coach.
    I wouldn't even TRY!!!
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredof theBS View Post
    _ Time for a change??? Let's take care of business.

2) Men's Basketball,

You can't convince me that we could not be competitive in all three of these sports with a decent coach. _
    Great idea!! All it would take is 5-700k cash for buyouts! Start up a fund and I will kick in $100. You get 6999 more people to do the same we will get this thing squared away.
    I guess we might also need an extra couple hundred thou for their replacements since we are playing very low salaries and quality replacements will cost double what they make. Oh, and the coaches we hire could still stink it up.

Sounds pretty simple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information